Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #29
CMYarb

Drives: 2011 CAMARO SIM 2SS/RS
thats a true thing of beauty
CMYarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #30
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lous69 View Post
Thanks!

The cold air intake is 4 inch diameter. Our design criteria was to have minimal bends and at least 6" before and after the Mass Air Flow Sensor.
Awesome! Any idea the weight of your ride?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #31
rzrbck_zl1

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT #702; '05 Hemi Ram
Wow, very nice! Great merge of the old and new; when I saw the title of the post, my first thought was there was no way that could work, but I quickly changed my mind after seeing all the pics...
rzrbck_zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:42 AM   #32
Jer4251
Camaro Addict

Drives: too many
sick car. I wanted to do similar with a late 3rd gen.
1992 Z28 Z03 L98
2018 Sierra Denali 6.2
1997 Z28 Z4C
1995 Z28
Jer4251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #33
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
This is, without question, my favorite pro-tour Camaro. It will probably be that of all time.

I probably would rather have this car than my current ZL1, which I adore. I'm also assuming that if I had this car built, it would probably be a 6 figure car?

The attention to detail on this is insane. (And I agree with all the decisions, which surprises the heck out of me, because irrationally picky)

If this car ever comes up for sale, I hope I'm able to watch it sell.

Btw, LOVE what you did with the hood.

Last edited by I call it Vera; 01-08-2014 at 07:27 AM.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #34
V8TV

Drives: '68 Camaro
Thanks for all the kind words on Lou's car, we were hoping the 5th gen fans would dig it.

Lou and Dan came up with an awesome design and concept, we are fortunate to have had the opportunity to bring it to life for them.

There are tons of build pics and videos on our site:

http://www.v8tvshow.com/louschange

It looks good in pics, but you have to see Dan's design work in person to get the full effect!
Old 01-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #35
V8TV

Drives: '68 Camaro
It sure has come a long way from this...

Old 01-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #36
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
OP...very very nice ride. You definitely belong here. Awesome first post. Welcome.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #37
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
That looks awesome!
It's too bad the stock ZL1 wheels would probably be too large for it.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #38
Lous69

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I just have to tell you about a very positive customer experience I recently had because too many times we only hear about problems and complaints.

I decided to buy an enclosed trailer for my car. I didn't even know what to look for when I began my search. I just knew I wanted to find one in time for an already planned trip.

By searching some of the threads on this forum and others, I at least started to understand some of the choices and trade offs.

It wasn't until I started talking to Chad Servais of Becker Custom Trailers in Wisconsin that I really started honing in on what I needed for my purposes.

Chad and I only talked on the phone but he was WAY more helpful than other sales people I called and even the local trailer distributors I visited in person.

I especially appreciated how he answered all my questions with more than yes and no answers.

After I missed an opportunity to buy a trailer Becker had in stock, Chad scurried to find another one for me. Luckily he found one at the factory that had just been built. He then worked with the factory to have some special modifications made before it shipped to me. (Little things like welding in a plate for me to anchor an electric winch to.) Some how he got it all orchestrated with the factory and on its way in time for my trip.

With people like Chad it is truly a pleasure to do business. He genuinely cared about me finding the right trailer for MY needs versus trying to upsell me or convince me to buy something else that wasn't exactly what I wanted. He never showed fatigue from all of my newbie questions.
He never pressured me to buy more than I really wanted. It was a pleasure to do business with him!

Here a few pics of my new trailer taken before it left the factory:

I knew I wanted to have an escape door. This one also has an easily removable wheel well making it more likely that I will be able to open the door on almost any car I decide to trailer.

Even though it's just a big box on wheels I'm really excited.

Thanks Chad!
Lous69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #39
Lous69

Drives: 1969 Camaro
The trailer works great. In a recent trip to Detroit I was able to check several items on my bucket list including a visit to the Dutchboys Hotrod shop, a friend's hanger party and a chassis dyno session with Dave Mikels at Thomson Automotive.

First, the car fits very nicely and my car door can swing wide open with the trailer escape door open and wheel well removed. It could not be any easier to get in and out of the car. There is even a convenient step between the trailer wheels.

My first stop was Dutchboys Hotrods in Kalamazoo. Paul and I have talked via phone and email for some time so it was nice to finally meet him and his father Joe in person. They could not be nicer people.

Their shop is spotless and very well organized. Every car under construction is being built with the same high level of craftsmanship and quality they put into Stielow's cars. I was surprised how much custom fabrication work they do in addition to world class body and paint work. It is no surprise that they are already building an addition to their shop to support their growing business. There is just something about their father and son business story that makes them heroes in my book. Accordingly, I asked both Joe and Paul to sign my car along with the other people I admire and have asked to sign it.

Next stop was a hanger party/private car show that a good friend of mine hosts every year. The weather did not co operate as it was cold, windy and rainy so the car show portion of the party did not fully materialize. Bob Lutz did show up in his ZR1. Bob was very complimentary of the design elements my son Dan contributed to our car. Of course I asked him to sign it too.

The last stop was at Thomson Automotive in Wixom. Dave Mikels was nice enough to meet me there to do some chassis dyno tuning on my car now that it has some shake down miles on it. Dave is a great guy. He got home from his family vacation only hours before meeting me at Thomson. The Thomson Shop is also spotless and full of projects that made me drool.

It was totally cool for me to watch my car being tuned on the same dyno, and by the same guy who also tuned the likes of Red Devil, Mayhem, Hellfire, etc.

The first pulls revealed that my LSA clutch is slipping at WOT up to about 3500 rpm. That really baffles me since the car has been babied so far and it only has 700 miles on it. The car also threw the AC belt for the second time now.

Subsequent pulls were from 3500 rpm to redline.

Dave did not go for maximum possible numbers. Instead, he purposely left some power on the table so I would not have to worry about bad gas here and there or long term reliability.

The bottom line was 581 HP and 571 torque at the wheels.

Here is a link to some video of the dyno pulls

Of course, I asked Dave to sign the car too.

A great trip overall!!!

Now to figure out why my brand new clutch is slipping.
Lous69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #40
Busabob

Drives: Looking
Wow, beautiful car.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #41
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lous69 View Post
The trailer works great. In a recent trip to Detroit I was able to check several items on my bucket list including a visit to the Dutchboys Hotrod shop, a friend's hanger party and a chassis dyno session with Dave Mikels at Thomson Automotive.

First, the car fits very nicely and my car door can swing wide open with the trailer escape door open and wheel well removed. It could not be any easier to get in and out of the car. There is even a convenient step between the trailer wheels.
I ordered the same trailer exactly in 24' with AC, exterior lights and an awning to take to the track next year. The escape door is what sells it! Glad to see it is working out for you and your beautiful ride!
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #42
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
69' Camaro.

Simply the best.

Love the fusion of old and new. What a great family project too! I hope I can do something similar with my Son one day, and can only hope it inspires him to do something he loves.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote