Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #1
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
April 2018 Hagerty article

In this article they talk about what a bargain the Z is (nothing we don't know) and also state that Al A. says that based on telemtry, the Z could've run the ring in as much as 6 seconds faster. That's not hard to believe based on various comparison vids that've been posted.

I have over 33K miles on mine and have made several performance mods. Thus, am obviously not concerned about collectibility. However, for those who may be.... the very last sentence indicates Hagerty's POV on the topic.

The car will go down in history as one of the all-time greats, but totally misunderstood and under appreciated. I see used GT350s selling for over $60k and recently saw a new Mustang Bulllit listed at $81k w/ ADM. Lol.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...evy-camaro-z28
Old 12-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
The swing and miss of the Z/28 will always baffle me, and its because of the customer. Back then it was “omg build me a race car! No nonsense race car with ......” so we did. When everyone got in it “oh, i mean, i wanted like..some...stuff inside” So you want a stripped out race car, just not with all the stuff stripped out, and you want a track ready car but want it to ride like a Cadillac?

I for one got exactly what I wanted. Had they given me the check book i would have built the exact same car. And I said as much back then. The level of depreciation comes from people bought them and traded them back in because it was TOO race car, then word got around and they started sitting on the lots. Shortly after the C6 came out. Its sad most people will never understand what a great car we built.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
1st -- thanks for posting this article!

Ok, coming from a 27 year Porsche guy perspective... when I was younger I always associated "road racing" with Porsche. The late 70's, 80's and 90's were dominated, for the most part, by Porsche. So it was only natural when I had the money to buy a sports car and wanted to actually drive on track, it was a Porsche. Many in the Porsche and BMW crowd looked at Camaros (even Vettes to some degree) as more drag strip, pavement pounding "go straight cars". This type of bias is I think one of the main reasons the Z28 failed to catch on. (NASCAR = Chevy/Le Mans = Porsche Ferrari) We know things have changed a lot with the C5, C6 and C7-Rs coming to dominate the IMSA scene, however, I think the die was cast with perception. I purchased a Corvette to build for a track car and all my Porsche buddies scoffed. They called it cheap and "plastic", but begrudgingly accepted it's performance. Most guys, not all of course, who can afford 75k for a toy also belong to Country Clubs and dine at fine restaurants... Cars like M3s and 911s say I am man of means for the guys who are not necessarily true performance / track guys.

A 911 was always a 911 -- a Camaro was NOT always a '14-'15 Z28.

Perception is a hard thing to quantify... why VHS over BETA?? Who knows, but in the end I think (hope?) all this collector car stuff (Mecums, Barret Jackson, etc.) will help history look fondly on the Z28.
I consider myself lucky to have been able to buy one and I am just a pup green horn as an owner. I wanted one the first time I saw Chris Harris drive it in the rain. Bad a$$ to the bone and faster than most hardware in the track day escalation. So happy I got mine!
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
_Chigga

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #225 Red
First time in a LONG while I've actually fully read an article, coming from my perspective. When I first saw the Z/28, it was that Motor Trend Head To Head video where they put it up with an R35 GTR. Then I saw the price of $75000 and Local dealers have Z/28s sitting for seems to be like ages. But as these depreciated so much, it was time for me to pull the trigger. Now as from time to time as I get gas most people would walk up and say is that the ZL1? I go explain to them, what the difference is and how rare these Z/28s are actually. As well as taking it to local car meets to show them what our cars are exactly.
_Chigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
That's funny. Hagerty didn't want to insure the car as a 'collector' for me three years ago. I had others on a policy with them at the time too. Now they view it as a collectible? Moved on to NCM. They get it.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
So many times I hear the "it doesn't have a radio", "its not road legal", "I would have got a ZL1", "it's only got 500 hp", etc. But I get a kick from seeming people's response to it not having A/C. In all, the Z/28 was hindered by the expectation of it being the working man's hot rod. Honestly had GM called the 1LE the Z28, everyone and their Billy Bob cousin would have one. Instead we got a hardcore track car with very little compromise with the price tag to boot. Hell, it costs a small fortune for a rotor/pad job. But, I wouldn't have it any other way.
The fact stands, if you go read these very forums, Chevrolet delivered in spades, then put Trofeo Rs on it. The car is such an oddity in today's market, that you have to wonder why the gamble was taken to release a car like this, at the end of the 5th gens body style. Halo car, or homilgination, pick one because I'm sure no other reason gets the Z/28 on dealer floors.
As for me, I stumbled upon the Z/28 while dreaming of owning a ZL1. I was actively researching, and pricing them out (ZL1s), when I came across the 2014 New York auto show release pics, and after reading the spec sheet, it was clear I needed this car. Months went by, talked with multiple dealers about placing a new 2015 order, but they were all greedy and wanted a $5-$+15 mark up. Then, I stumbled upon my car on ebay, and withing 2 weeks, it was in my drive way. Had I waited a few months 2015 CTF #1 came across ebay, but so is life, lol.
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:12 PM   #7
SS-E-YA

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28, 1974 Turbo Nova
Good read!
2014 Ram 1500 Sport (SOLD)
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (SOLD)
2000 Camaro Z28 Turbocharged 700HP (SOLD)
2005 Dodge Ram SRT10 530HP (SOLD)
2004 Pontiac GTO 425HP (SOLD)
2006 Trailblazer SS 550HP (SOLD)
SS-E-YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Give it time, these are a great buy right now. Never be another like it, writings on the wall here..
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...socialflowFBCD
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #9
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Give it time, these are a great buy right now. Never be another like it, writings on the wall here..
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...socialflowFBCD
Wow... that's really interesting. Big change for Al O. You're correct in that we'll likely never see anything like our cars again.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #10
DasBaldDog

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
That's funny. Hagerty didn't want to insure the car as a 'collector' for me three years ago. I had others on a policy with them at the time too. Now they view it as a collectible? Moved on to NCM. They get it.
Out of curiosity, did NCM rate your Z/28 as "Exotic"?

I've had several cars though NCM but when I got the Z/28 they rated it as an Exotic because "Its limited production and has over 500hp". I argued, they persisted.... basically doubled the rate from the online quote so I went with someone else.
DasBaldDog is offline   Reply With Quote