Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #1667
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
When Saban came to Alabama there was alot of players who felt " Entitled" and didn't feel they should have to work hard....Well when he started playing freshman and seniors sit the bench it started opening peoples eyes. They were alot of bad apples in 2007 he went 7-6.

2008 12-2...undefeated in regular season, lost to Fl in SEC Champ game and Utah in Sugar Bowl
2009 14-0 BCS NC's
2010 10-3 Won Capital One bowl
2011 12-1 BCS NC's

Once he started getting the recruits, changing the culture and mindsets of players they started winning. Just like he did at LSU.

He didn't do well in the Pro's because he is a control freak, hell he had Pro Players crying. Millionaire ball players don't like control freak coaches.
What did you think about Brent Musberger saying that 'Bama fans may have finally found a coach to make them forget about the bear'

He backtracked real quick but living here I know the cult-like worship most Bama fans have of Bear Bryant.

Oh, and I TOTALLY called it on one thing. I told all my Bama fan buddies that Bama will NEVER get back to being a powerhouse until they put Bear Bryant in the past and move on. I always said that this whole, gotta hire someone 'in the Bama family' thing was their downfall. And sure enough when they put all that aside and went out unbiasedly and bought the best coach available they are now back on top of the college football mountain.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #1668
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
What did you think about Brent Musberger saying that 'Bama fans may have finally found a coach to make them forget about the bear'

I heard that comment and imo that is BS yes Saban brought two NC's to the organization however you cant forget what the bear did when he was at Bama.

Thats like saying if Stoops wins another Championship omg will OU fans forget about Wilkinson HELL NO Now they can forget about Barry
If Texas wins another will UT Fans forget about Royal Hell No

Those are the coaches that started this whole thing. Not even a handful of national championships can erase them.

Yes maybe Bama fans wont bow down as much as they did to the bear acommplishments but he wont be forgotten.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #1669
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
Now they can forget about Barry

You mean NC winning, SB winning Barry?

That Dallas Cowboy stint with Barry Switzer was just weird. And I think even I could have won with that team.

As far as the bear at Bama I agree. You don't forget where you came from but Bama was here long before the Bryant. I guess Bryant put them on the map?

However it was odd to see Bama pass on coach after coach after coach for those years because the prospective coaches weren't 'In the Bama family'. If they didn't have ties to Alabama somehow they would get hired. It was just odd. And they just kept losing. But they hired Saban and the rest is history.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #1670
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Yeah Brent stuck his foot in his mouth......Bear Bryant was a GREAT coach...IN THOSE DAYS.....I don't really know how he would do in today's football...........Bear Bryant will always be an icon in Alabama.

When Saban arrive he has three requirements...1 was that he worked for the President and no one else.......2 was he was allowed to limit his appearances...he wanted to approve all of his appearance schedule. 3 and the big one was that Paul Bryant Jr. needed to stay in Birmingham and let him ( Saban ) run the football program.

Problem is that most college football donor want input and some get it especially when you last name in Bryant in Alabama...Saban Nixed that quickly and has done well.....Saban plays who he wants, when he wants and how he wants....It has not always been that way after Bear Bryant died.

Until Saban arrived playing a freshman much less starting a freshman was unheard of.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #1671
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Yeah Brent stuck his foot in his mouth......Bear Bryant was a GREAT coach...IN THOSE DAYS.....I don't really know how he would do in today's football...........Bear Bryant will always be an icon in Alabama.

When Saban arrive he has three requirements...1 was that he worked for the President and no one else.......2 was he was allowed to limit his appearances...he wanted to approve all of his appearance schedule. 3 and the big one was that Paul Bryant Jr. needed to stay in Birmingham and let him ( Saban ) run the football program.

Problem is that most college football donor want input and some get it especially when you last name in Bryant in Alabama...Saban Nixed that quickly and has done well.....Saban plays who he wants, when he wants and how he wants....It has not always been that way after Bear Bryant died.

Until Saban arrived playing a freshman much less starting a freshman was unheard of.
And that's what Bama needed.

Other than a pro team. lol

I'd really like to see Alabama get a pro team but there just isn't enough call for it.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #1672
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Yeah they tried other pro sports like hockey, USFL, Arena etc.... and they all flopped.

Bama has a great foundation now with Saban, wins, recruits etc.....as long as he stays Alabama will do fine...the ONLY problem in Alabama is that everyone now expects him to win a title every other year and that just ain't gonna happen. If he stays 8 more years he may win 2 more....and that is fine by me.

Every Program in the nation would welcome 1 title...we have 2 in 3 years.

I have watched them play since Bear Bryant was a coach.........just something about going to Bryant-Denny just feels right.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #1673
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

You mean NC winning, SB winning Barry?

That Dallas Cowboy stint with Barry Switzer was just weird. And I think even I could have won with that team.

As far as the bear at Bama I agree. You don't forget where you came from but Bama was here long before the Bryant. I guess Bryant put them on the map?

However it was odd to see Bama pass on coach after coach after coach for those years because the prospective coaches weren't 'In the Bama family'. If they didn't have ties to Alabama somehow they would get hired. It was just odd. And they just kept losing. But they hired Saban and the rest is history.
" we did it we did it we did it "

I was 15 and I was happy we had just won the sb for the 3rd time out of 4 years but I remember thinking Stfu if Larry brown had dropped that int you wouldn't be on that podium you idiotic moron lol. Jerry could have coached that team that year lol. Having two people who I had a hard time liking Barry and Deion on that team was bitter sweat lol
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #1674
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
as a WVU fan the 70-33 blasting of Clemson was a dream game. amazing what a month of rest and mending of injuries will do for a team

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #1675
skar

Drives: 2010 2SSRS headers/CAI/tune/corsa,
Recruiting day. How in the hell did Ohio st get 25 recruits (so far)
Are they not on probation with scholarship losses .
SEC still over signing ?
JL Audio XD400/4 amp
Pfadt trailing arms & tie rods sway bars.
pedders street 1 package. ,Hurst short throw shifter
With bronze bushings .
skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #1676
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Just saying....