Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
Need y’all’s help!

I love my RS Camaro, that being said, I’m wanting more and more power. Now, with a V6, I am limited, especially on the LFX.

I’m finding myself wanting to trade up for a V8. But to have 455 hp for $10-20k more when I can get a twin turbo for $7k doesn’t seem logical. If I HAD to replace the car due to being totaled I’d go for the ZL1. But my wife would kill me if I changed my mind after 2 months of having this car. Lol

What should I do, and why? If I should go V8, give reasons. If V6, again why?

H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Watch "3" spintech" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/dSBsGF4ummY

Have a listen.... this is why you get a v8
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
V-6 with twin turbo = power
V-8 with twin turbo = a lot more power

Problem solved
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
Ahhhhh... the V6 with twins still gets good mileage when you’re not heavy on the throttle. That’s the whole point. I recently got blown away at the light by a C300 turbo. My 2015 L99, even with VVT and AFM, gets crappy mileage. I would never own this car if it was my DD! The market is going to V6 and I4 turbos before everything goes hybrid and electric. New technology has practically eliminated turbo lag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #5

Drives: 15 1SS 1LE
I would go with the V8 simply because the 6.2L is a legendary powerhouse. If you can get your hand on 1LE (LS3) props for you.

It since you just recently purchased that RS, just enjoy it for what it is. In the mean time start saving money, until you really know what you want.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Who buys a Camaro to get good gas mileage or to be light on the throttle? The thought is kinda odd.
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #7
theflea42
#938 of 1524

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Edition Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Who buys a Camaro to get good gas mileage or to be light on the throttle? The thought is kinda odd.
My thoughts exactly............
theflea42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #8
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
my v6 gets better mileage than the tiny pontiac solstice it replaced,0-60 is at least compareable to an old school(60s) musclecar,while handling and braking are much better.the fact that it can deliver all this is almost complete silence is impressive too.BUT if i were looking for power i would trade it on a V-8,only because once you have twin turboed the v6 you will need to upgrade the rest of the drivetrain as well.if money is going to be a problem,stick with what you have,but if you cant live without more power go with the V8.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #9
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
There’s no replacement for displacement. Get the 8 and end the worrying and the what if’s. If you’re questioning now, not going v8 will haunt you forever. But not at the expense of your family, lack of money destroys marriages especially due to bad decisions. If this is the case, be happy with your camaro. The majority of the population can’t afford cars as nice as any camaro.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
the predecessor to the lfx engine the llt at least had separate heads and intake manifolds so you could do headers. They also had just a couple problems, timing chain being one, then charcoal canister and occasional rear main leak...were the ones most to pop up over the years.

But mainly fairly dependable, and your in the wonder what you paid range? as the price of used SS even older model should be fairly comparable, and the LS engines are of course easier to mod compared with all the competition. You could start with a campaign to show her the titles and info from a few threads form the really unlucky, why theres one on this page still about a guy who "blew his engine again" and yes he is a v-6 guy with bad luck..... then explain how the v-8 guys pick on you and the car cant sound mean enough and your going to have a fortune spent trying to make it more aggressive and it would have been just cheaper to go v-8, then offer chocolate immediately...….. Maybe some alcohol.....

New car fever..... tough to deal with especially when not that happy in the first place, you have to look for all the weak points of what you bought, then explain a manual v-8 is so reliable its the bees knees...no AFM/dod to deal with, and the prices are so down compared to new its what you should have gotten in the first place and a deal can be had.... Good luck. And yes dual mode exhaust is good.....
Old 11-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #11
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
For me twin turbos would be a concern for reliability. If its a daily driver that you depend on you are more likely to have issues from possibly breaking something. If it were me I'd hold off doing anything until I figured out my goals for the car. If you have only had it 2 months & want to completely upgrade stuff that sounds to me like you aren't sure what you really want.

I have done very little (tuned only) to my car in nearly 6 years of owning it which makes me think I bought the right car for me at least & my long term expectations.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #12
Joecruiser

Drives: 2014 2-SSRS Slushbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
There’s no replacement for displacement. Get the 8 and end the worrying and the what if’s. If you’re questioning now, not going v8 will haunt you forever. But not at the expense of your family, lack of money destroys marriages especially due to bad decisions. If this is the case, be happy with your camaro. The majority of the population can’t afford cars as nice as any camaro.
This^
Keep wifey happy...enjoy it for a year or more. Don't make expensive mods. Save for a V8.

And yes, a L99 with a few mods is a guzzler.
Joecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
You can't get twin turbo's for $7k unless you fab up a system or buy a sketchy discontinued Fabberge kit. The only F.I. kit available now is the Overkill S/C kit.

If you could afford a ZL1, why did you get a V6?

Back when I bought mine, I didn't want to sell my '89 Trans Am GTA to get an SS. Since I was under a budget, $18.9k for a brand new car that offered the performance and styling of the 5th gen V6 Camaro seemed like a really good deal.

I'm glad I was able to get a brand new 5th gen while they were still being made and I plan on keeping mine until the wheels fall off.

Last edited by gringo; 11-22-2018 at 03:17 PM.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
rozarioorlan

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
^^^ What they said.

As of right now, the only option for forced induction for the V6 is the Overkill supercharger which starts at about $6000 and can go up to $7000. Assuming you went full bolt ons for the V6 you would sit around 300-315whp. Supercharger can bring that up to 375-425whp and stage two can be closer to around 450whp (more HP than an SS) assuming you had some minor bolt ons (ported intake manifold, 80mm throttle body, etc.). You would still get nice gas milage and have a quick, fun, reliable car.

The SS would be a different story and is whole new monster especially if you were to do similar mods. For power, V8 is always the answer and I am sure we would all go that route if we could. It just comes down to if you can swing the extra money, want a lot more power, gas milage, etc.
2013 2LS - K&N CAI, Overkill Ported 80mm Throttle Body, Overkill E85 Kit and Overkill Tune, Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer, Stealth 3.0 TC, ARH Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Resonator Delete, Jones Full Boar Racing Mufflers, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Seperator
rozarioorlan is offline   Reply With Quote