Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 10-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #113
bbtr5

Drives: 98 Camaro V6
it probably messes up with the aerodynamics of the car, and the thrust angle, but that's probably it.
idk, im just guessing tho
bbtr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #114
MrCool

Drives: '95 Z28
Question:
What are some things you should change at the 200,XXX miles mark?

My dad, is telling me, instead of me just buying another Car (*cough* Camaro *cough*) taking the money, and fixing the one he has...he origionally said sure you can have it, but then it hit 200,XXX.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #115
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
Question:

My dad, is telling me, instead of me just buying another Car (*cough* Camaro *cough*) taking the money, and fixing the one he has...he origionally said sure you can have it, but then it hit 200,XXX.
well, id say just swap the engine, but unless u kno how to do it yourself its gonna cost a little more than u probly want to pay. If it was well cared for it cud keep going for a while, my uncle had a 96 z28 he used as a daily driver, got to 275xxx before it died. then we just swapped the engine lol
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #116
MrCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercamaro64 View Post
well, id say just swap the engine, but unless u kno how to do it yourself its gonna cost a little more than u probly want to pay. If it was well cared for it cud keep going for a while, my uncle had a 96 z28 he used as a daily driver, got to 275xxx before it died. then we just swapped the engine lol
Swap the engine?! Really?!?!? I thought you'd just replace rubber bushings, ect...why the entire engine?
Old 10-25-2009, 02:42 AM   #117
Conflict
Loving the F body

Drives: 97 Firebird 3.8L 5 Speed
Cause thats a lot of f**king miles, but don't replace the motor till it stops moving
-Modified 97 3.8L 5 speed Firebird
-2003 Toyota Highlander

Past Cars
-1985 2.8L 5 speed S10 Blazer
-1995 Chevy Camaro V6(130k miles)
-1990 Mercedes 300E(280k miles) RIP 6-08 due to a Mustang GT that did not pay attention
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:17 AM   #118
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
Quote:
Hello Everyone,
In a few months I might get my drivers license, and to my delight my dad told me he would pass on to me his 1994 Camaro Z28. It has a lot of miles on it 200,XXX something miles, so it's not new or fancy and it was a DD. But I'm a huge Camaro fan so I'm definitely not complaining at ALL.

The question being, have any tips or any Do's and Dont's for a first timer on routine maintenance and stuff you guys would generously to pass on? I joined hoping I could get advice so I wouldn't screw up the car in the future.
Grin, a lot...

Keep that engine going. The LT1 can be a long lasting, reliable friend as long as you take care of it.

Please, save the speed for the track. Not sure of exactly how you like your fun or how many tracks you have nearby but, please, don't wrap yourself around a tree. We want our fellow Camaro nuts around for a long, long time.

And most of all, have fun. I love my 95 Z/28 and always will.

Has anyone seen my sanity? I am hiding from it and don't want it sneaking up on me!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #119
MrCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
Cause thats a lot of f**king miles, but don't replace the motor till it stops moving
Thats what my dad told me, the engine is in really good condition right now, no oil leaks, ect, running strong. The rest of the body is the problem right now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhawk View Post
Grin, a lot...

Keep that engine going. The LT1 can be a long lasting, reliable friend as long as you take care of it.

Please, save the speed for the track. Not sure of exactly how you like your fun or how many tracks you have nearby but, please, don't wrap yourself around a tree. We want our fellow Camaro nuts around for a long, long time.

And most of all, have fun. I love my 95 Z/28 and always will.
I enjoy being a Camaro nut, and I like being assosiated as one Plus, my cousin is lookin' to buy an 240sx, so it'll be fun competing with him, hopefully from the help of you guys. That is if I get a Camaro:

Quote:
So right now it's kinda a debate, weather to fix this one, or buy another one.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #120
bbtr5

Drives: 98 Camaro V6
Fix the one your dad has. I had to pull the engine in my camaro, and it was fun. Then again, I like taking things apart and fixing them, lol. You will feel more accomplished if you fix it rather than buy one with less miles
bbtr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #121
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Does a twisted frame affect performace at all? Or just a wear-and-tear thing?
it can cause a misalignment on the suspension leading to wheel/tire damage over time.

Quote:
Question:

200k mark....

seafoam it (if you havent already), new synthetic oil, fuel injectors, MAF, spark plugs, trans fluid (dont get a flush, just drain and change the filter and refill), rear end fluid, coolant, a/c refrigerant, brakes, brake fluid, water pump, thermostat, opti (if you havent already), plug wires.

pretty much all fluids and major electrical components in the vehicle unless they have already been changed recently. and most other routine maintenance items.

Quote:
Thats what my dad told me, the engine is in really good condition right now, no oil leaks, ect, running strong. The rest of the body is the problem right now..

So right now it's kinda a debate, weather to fix this one, or buy another one.
well, there's different ways to look at it.

1. the car still runs strong now. (if it aint broke, dont fix it).
2. the car you buy (unless its a brand new camaro) could already be on its last leg and you'll end up doing more work on it in addition to paying off the vehicle compared to just keeping this one running.
3. 200k is a lot of mileage, but as long as you take care of the car it should last even longer
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #122
MrCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
well, there's different ways to look at it.

1. the car still runs strong now. (if it aint broke, dont fix it).
2. the car you buy (unless its a brand new camaro) could already be on its last leg and you'll end up doing more work on it in addition to paying off the vehicle compared to just keeping this one running.
3. 200k is a lot of mileage, but as long as you take care of the car it should last even longer
That is what I had in mind, save the money, get the car from my dad, and use that money to fix the car/put extras on it once I fix it. Ideally, if I had $$$ left over, I would want to first put a CAI on it. Like this one.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #123
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
That is what I had in mind, save the money, get the car from my dad, and use that money to fix the car/put extras on it once I fix it. Ideally, if I had $$$ left over, I would want to first put a CAI on it. Like this one.

thats a nice CAI. I'm running a moroso right now. I will suggest you look for a used CAI at a cheaper price. they all do the same thing. just make sure you get a good filter for it. IIRC, I paid about 40 bucks for mine and got the filter for free from a friend.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #124
MrCool

Why are posts disappearing in this thread?

Tags
beginner, driving, general, timer, tips