Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
anth331

Drives: 12SS
Clean Engine Bay

What’s the best way to clean your engine bay? I don’t want to mess anything up
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
It's more resilient than you would think. I start with a degreaser, and soak everything and hose it down (nothing too high pressure).

Then for the fine cleaning, I like simple green / mean green, and a lot of paper towels.

Just take your time and it goes pretty smoothly. After you get it clean, if you just give everything a wipe down everytime you wash the car, it's a piece of cake to stay on top of.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
Exactly what ChibiBlackSheep said. I spray my engine down and wipe like every other car wash. (I wash the car myself). Just another helpful hint, after you wash it, and dry it off wait a while before starting it. I say this because any moisture or water that is in your fan area or on the belts, etc will fling all over the place. You will not be a happy camper, I know I have done it.

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260

Last edited by Stewart; 02-16-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Here is a video with a lot of good tips.

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Very cool and nice seeming guy . And no disrespect but,,,,,,much rather watch this one. For obvious reasons....LOL

Old 02-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
anth331

Drives: 12SS
Thanks for the help everyone
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
All the methods above certainly work, but depending as to how dirty your engine is (based on where you are, weather, road conditions, etc) they strike me as potentially overkill.

I'm out in SoCal, so we don't get a lot of real grime. Personally I have never flushed my engine bay with APC and water. If I don't have to, I'd prefer to not. I use waterless wash and some black microfiber towels to clean off dust and light dirt, then use a combination of products to dress the different parts of the engine bay. My two favorites are Adams In & Out spray, and Chemical Guys VRP. Below are results I get:

Before

After

Hope that helps.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #8
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
^^^ Well done. I like it.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #9
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
[QUOTE=HAMBO;10079083]All the methods above certainly work, but depending as to how dirty your engine is (based on where you are, weather, road conditions, etc) they strike me as potentially overkill.

I'm out in SoCal, so we don't get a lot of real grime. Personally I have never flushed my engine bay with APC and water. If I don't have to, I'd prefer to not. I use waterless wash and some black microfiber towels to clean off dust and light dirt, then use a combination of products to dress the different parts of the engine bay. My two favorites are Adams In & Out spray, and Chemical Guys VRP. Below are results I get:

Impressive, I just drove from NJ to move to PS Cali, my bay was nasty, spent 5 hours cleaning the entire car inside and out. I will check out the products that you mentioned for sure Thank you

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:06 AM   #10
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Today's vehicles have water tight electrical connectors. You pretty much have to try to get water into them. Just use common sense; don't spray water into the alternator, or exposed air filters/air boxes. Our daily drivers get their engine bays cleaned at least once a year by hosing down with water, spraying down with Adam's All Purpose Cleaner and scrubbing with every possible brush I can find to get into every nook and cranny. Once clean I'll dry with my Master Blaster Side Kick or Revolution set on it's lowest speed, then start the car, close the hood and let it run for five minutes so so to finish drying. I don't apply any type of dressing, as I find they just collect dust.
Here's Michelle's Camaro cleaned last spring when I installed her CAI
Remove the engine cover and clean it

Nasty

What it's supposed to look like!
Old 02-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #11
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Good advice on cleaning the engine bay from everyone above. I personally use UD-40 and microfiber rags and wipe everything down twice a year. I use the non-aerosol can WD-40 now and like it better.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #12
Tom And Cheryl

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible, ThumperII
I use detail spray or a little bit of car shampoo if needed, I clean under the hood on a regular basis.
Attached Images

Tom And Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #13
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
It’s not easy keeping the alternator dry when washing the inside bay since it sits below the engine so water will find a way while washing. I pretty much do what everyone else does, use APC once or twice a year and then VRT when it’s all dry. Makes future cleaning much more simpler, it’s basically wipe the edges and you’re good.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:39 AM   #14
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
The alternator's actually pretty water tight on its own. Think about where you said it's located; below the engine. In that location it can possibly get hit with water if you go through a large puddle.
Don't deliberately spray it with a forcible stream of water and you'll be fine. If that concerns you, cover it with some plastic wrap.
Modern engines and their components can take some water without harm.