Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leNPP View Post
What every you say Dropspeeds
I sense a hint of sarcasm. Maybe I can assume that the facts have provided some insight into the black art of suspension tuning.

Even if you don't believe me, I think you should at least believe the guy that posted below you. He seems to know a thing or two about the black art, but I bet he prefers to call it the red art!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I was going to offer my insight, but Matt didn't leave anything on the table or even crumbs on the floor.
PS. I have a set of supercars in the back of my other car that have been riding around in there since last week. They need to find there way onto my 1LE and then to the track before the snow flys! Quality looks top notch. I am slowly becoming a believer.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I sense a hint of sarcasm. Maybe I can assume that the facts have provided some insight into the black art of suspension tuning.

Even if you don't believe me, I think you should at least believe the guy that posted below you. He seems to know a thing or two about the black art, but I bet he prefers to call it the red art!

PS. I have a set of supercars in the back of my other car that have been riding around in there since last week. They need to find there way onto my 1LE and then to the track before the snow flys! Quality looks top notch. I am slowly becoming a believer.
You didn't happen to find a 32mm Z bar too?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
I have tip toed around this subject in the past about 1LE owners installing the ZL1 spring in the back as I try to be polite. However my information comes directly from the horse (GM engineers on the team). I want to be careful what I share as I would like to continue to receive the info when I speak with them about my vehicle. So with that being said it is time to share info before anyone else installs ZL1 springs without having all of the facts.

Installing ZL1 springs on the back of a 1LE for ANYTHING other than show will negatively affect the handling. The 1LE will perform better with the SS springs on the struts they were specifically designed to work with compared to adding ZL1 springs.

Feeling planted in 100mph sweepers on the street or track does not count as testing and a perceived confidence may be only that, perceived....Yes, a higher spring rate will increase over steer in the dry. But have you put any thought into how a 4000lb car will react with a higher rear progressive rate spring when you have a linear front spring and you have to make and evasive maneuver? Now do the same in the wet with 4 adults in the car) The engineers have...

GM is the king of the parts bin looking to other programs for go fast goodies (higher volumes, lower piece price, business 101). GM used many parts from the ZL1 parts bin and there were 100s of hours of suspension testing for the 1LE. If the engineers thought he ZL1 springs would be beneficial in anyway to the 1LE they would have used them. But everyone knows you don't mix progressive rate and linear rate springs.

I did also asked point blank about using the ZL1 springs.....There was a resounding "NO!"

If you are just going for looks..ZL1 springs will lower the car. If you have any concern in the way your 1LE will handle predictable at speed, don't install them.

-Matt
Post like this is what makes Camaro5 what it is, Very informative and to the point.

Thanks for the Info, you learn something every day.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You didn't happen to find a 32mm Z bar too?
No, but I didn't ask nor look very hard. I am still trying to juggle family/work schedules so I can escape to the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Post like this is what makes Camaro5 what it is, Very informative and to the point.

My pleasure... I prefer that we/you/me as enthusiasts are given as much information as possible to make educated decisions based on our individual wants and needs.

-Matt
Old 10-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #19
Arodr395

Drives: 2014 Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
I installed the Pedders with a ton of reluctance....but, I was pleasantly surprised. I did have 2 different members of the Camaro team ride in my car and both thought it road similar to stock...Pedders doesn't publish spring rates but they appear to be very similar to stock.

If you are comparing the look of the ZL1 to the 1LE be aware that 285 on the back does have a small O.D. than the 305 on the ZL1.

1LE: 27.85 OD
ZL1: 28.40 OD

This just over 1/2" taller tire combined with the fact that it is wider would help fill the tire to wheel gap on the 1LE better. Combin this larger OD with the removal of the "stretch look" and it would give the car a lower appearance.

If you want to try it....Pedders does make a linear rate rear spring that would lower the rear about 1/2" to 3/4". The spring rate between the one I have and the other taller Pedders spring is the same (I asked) so the ride quality should be good....It would also be cheaper to just install rear spring and performance should be minimally effected.

Matt
Thanks Matt, very informative as always. Do you have a link to the linear rate rear springs that lower the car 1/2" to 3/4" ? Also if I install these rear springs should I install front springs as well? Keep in mind that I want the front to have a similar stance as the zl1 too.
Arodr395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #20
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post

+1 Thanks!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Dropspeed is right on what he says above about the 305 in the rear improving the appearance overall and reducing the gap. It isnt a track set up obviously, but I got some rears real cheap from a C5 member so they will do until I track my car next year. At that time I will be cammed(NF FTW!!) so maybe the extra power will compensate for the larger rears, but maybe not. I am excited to find out!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
Dropspeed

Dude your right on one thing for sure for public safety i will stop posting on the ZL1 spring . What i am will to do to my car is one thing and should not tell other to do same . Now how it works is something all together Diff. and i will keep it to my self. I recpect how you feel on the safety part of change so we are all good .
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I used to believe (back in the 90's and early 00's) that lowering a car is the cheapest and best way to achieve good looks and handling. That is simply not always the case and especially not with the 1LE. As Matt has mentioned our cars have been engineered and tuned to specifically use the tires, wheels, and springs they came equipped with. Pedders has also done tuning and though not OEM, I would trust them as a source of knowledge as well. That said, I would not even think of touching my suspension setup just for looks. It handles much better than any other car I've ever owned (including a Neon SRT4 using a complete Hotchkis TVS Stage 1 and 5 way adjustable struts). My only complaint is when I hit a (sharply) angled driveway or bumps the car gets unsettled but I've had other cars that did exactly the same thing and I'm willing to put up with that minor issue for the track worthiness. The only thing I'm considering is getting my alignment changed to the Pedders "aggressive street" setting though I plan on tracking at least several times a year. Also Matt, do you think your suspension upgrade helped at the track or was your time just a factor of you improving driving it?

Thanks.
Mark
Old 10-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #24
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arodr395 View Post
Thanks Matt, very informative as always. Do you have a link to the linear rate rear springs that lower the car 1/2" to 3/4" ? Also if I install these rear springs should I install front springs as well? Keep in mind that I want the front to have a similar stance as the zl1 too.
Below is my post when I installed the Pedders....Note: I took a picture of the car stock and then I took a picture of the car with stock front and Pedders 220033 rear springs (The lower of the 2 Pedders rear springs offered).

If you wanted to keep the stock front ride height and bring the rear down level use the 220035 RR (corrected P/N)

If you want to bring the car down in the front and keep the factory "raked" look use the 220032 FR and 220035 RR

If you want to lower the car all the way around and level it out, 220032 FR and 220033 RR (my current set-up).

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311205

More random shots lowered.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312572

There are days I think I want the extra 11mm ride height in the rear the 220035 springs would have and other days I love the way it looks......Maybe a little A.D.D./O.C.D. going on! I also have 305 on the car for the fall/spring just because I wanted to try them. I will try to snap a picture later to show you the 32/33 springs with a 285/305 set-up

I got my Pedders from Rodgers Chevrolet:

MaureenM@RodgersChevrolet
Parts & Accessory Manager
Discount GM Parts / Accessories
Actual Shipping with No Handling Charges
734 479-7170
MaureenM@RodgersChevrolet.com

Pedders USA site:

http://www.peddersusa.com/category/springs/Default.aspx

Matt

Last edited by Dropspeed; 10-03-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #25
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leNPP View Post
Dropspeed

Dude your right on one thing for sure for public safety i will stop posting on the ZL1 spring . What i am will to do to my car is one thing and should not tell other to do same . Now how it works is something all together Diff. and i will keep it to my self. I recpect how you feel on the safety part of change so we are all good .
I take nothing here personal and I respect your opinion of what you want based on your needs or wants. Again, I just want others to have all of the facts before they make a change to their vehicles. My biggest concern with the ZL1 springs is that the price point is so cheap that people may run out and install them just based on price and the fact they lower the car in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
Matt, do you think your suspension upgrade helped at the track or was your time just a factor of you improving driving it?

Thanks.
Mark
Hi Mark,

The one million dollar question! We may never know as it was not a back to back test and seat time in the car played a big role. I am 100% comfortable in saying that the springs did not negatively effect the handling characteristics nor did it feel any better or worse than when it was on stock springs.

My thoughts are: I like the looks, the ride is fine, handling characteristics appear to be the same and lap times did not suffer so they have earned their spot on my 1LE.

-Matt
Old 10-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Odd this was just moved as this was a 1LE specific question and discussion

Can the mod that moved it explain why it was moved?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #27
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Odd this was just moved as this was a 1LE specific question and discussion

Can the mod that moved it explain why it was moved?

Thanks,
Matt
My guess is a mod saw the ZL1 springs as the thread title and moved it as part of daily organizing, clean up. I dropped a PM to a couple of mods asking them to move it back.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #28
Arodr395

Drives: 2014 Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Below is my post when I installed the Pedders....Note: I took a picture of the car stock and then I took a picture of the car with stock front and Pedders 220033 rear springs (The lower of the 2 Pedders rear springs offered).

If you wanted to keep the stock front ride height and bring the rear down level use the 220034 RR

If you want to bring the car down in the front and keep the factory "raked" look use the 220032 FR and 220034 RR

If you want to lower the car all the way around and level it out, 220032 FR and 220033 RR (my current set-up).

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311205

More random shots lowered.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312572

There are days I think I want the extra 15mm ride height in the rear the 220034 springs would have and other days I love the way it looks......Maybe a little A.D.D./O.C.D. going on! I also have 305 on the car for the fall/spring just because I wanted to try them. I will try to snap a picture later to show you the 32/33 springs with a 285/305 set-up

I got my Pedders from Rodgers Chevrolet:

MaureenM@RodgersChevrolet
Parts & Accessory Manager
Discount GM Parts / Accessories
Actual Shipping with No Handling Charges
734 479-7170
MaureenM@RodgersChevrolet.com

Pedders USA site:

http://www.peddersusa.com/category/springs/Default.aspx

Matt
Thanks Matt!! I was thinking about going with 220032 FR and 220034 RR but I can't seem to find the 220034 RR on peddersusa can you leave me a link to them?
Arodr395 is offline   Reply With Quote