Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #519
billyboyf

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I would trim the brackets and move them over. That way your top stays looking good.
I did trim them but did not move the bracket. I think I put the lotion in the wrong place cause it did not mark my top , I will try agian. Do you have to slot the mounting holes in order to move it toward the center?
billyboyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #520
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboyf View Post
I did trim them but did not move the bracket. I think I put the lotion in the wrong place cause it did not mark my top , I will try agian. Do you have to slot the mounting holes in order to move it toward the center?
No, It has about 1/4 inch measured movement at the tip of the bracket. If you oblong the holes to move it more the trim piece attached to it would get moved even more and they would hit the header panel.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #521
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
My vert isn't here yet but I have been following this thread since post #1.

IMHO, for those of you that have the problem I would just wait it out and let GM come up with the fix they are working on. Based on some of they most recent posts it sounds like they are working on it and not calling it "normal" like the front end clunk.

No point modding the bracket and possibly loosing the warranty on the top.

-Funk
I was thinking along the same lines, however, in my particular case, I was one of the first ones to undergo the top replacement (with Sux and a few others)...and while I got a new top, I also got horrible wind noise that wasn't there before, 2 weeks worth of back-and-forth trips to the dealer, and the marks were coming back! Dunno how many times GM is gonna replace the top... so rather than kill a new one, id opt to fix it myself if possible. Once a corrected bracket does come along, I'm sure there will be no warranty issues in replacing a simple piece of plastic, vs an entire roof. Id recommend to anyone to get it documented asap tho!

But this is my use of common sense... and GM and I haven't seemed to see eye to eye on the application since I first ordered the car!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #522
billyboyf

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
No, It has about 1/4 inch measured movement at the tip of the bracket. If you oblong the holes to move it more the trim piece attached to it would get moved even more and they would hit the header panel.
Sux2bu, After closer inspection I found I was putting the lotion on the wrong brace, so when I applied it to the correct one, it marked a contact point on the outside of the top. I had previously cut the bracket and headliner very close to the outward headliner mounting hole. Today I loosen the bracket and adjusted it inward as much as possible. I did not remove and slot any holes. I then tried the lotion on both the metal brace and also the back of the headliner bracket. It still marked a slight contact on the outside of the top and also marked contact on headliner bracket at the location of the tip that is left below the outward #5 torx screw. It appears to relieve this I would have to redrill the headliner mounting holes and trim more. I 'm not sure if everything would work. I don't understand why chevy does'nt make the headliner bracket about 1/4 -3/8" shorter to give clearance.
billyboyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #523
Nasty1970

Drives: 2011 Red 2SS RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightrider View Post
So I picked-up the car tonight after top replacement and air conditioner re-programming. The screw holes were moved, but the brackets themselves not cut back as SUX has shown.

The top looks to fit perfectly across the header, quarter and trunk area. Top is in perfect condition but yes, has the 2 ever so slight humps that did not exist before. They don't bother me too much as they're pretty difficult to notice. The crew replacing it looked like they were meticulous about the install.

I took SUX's advice (again...) and lowered top a couple of times in lot then put it almost all the way down and gave it some pretty decent back/forth shakes to simulate driving with it down. I lifted it back up and could not find any rub marks.

Drove home with top up and I now have some wind noise over 55 mph coming from rear passenger side. It sounds like its coming right from the rear window area. No noise below that speed and even at/above that its not too bad. I will however monitor over the coming weeks as top continues to stretch/form then take back if it still exists.

Overall, satisfied with the work but I'll be trimming the brackets this weekend to be 100% sure.
exactly same outcome as mine, except i now see marks from the top rubbing AGAIN!!! It would appear that SUX's fix is the next step. I told the dealership about it, and Im going to show them tomorrow since im in houston.
[/IMG]

1970 Camaro ,2011 Red Convertible 2SS,2008 Saturn Sky,2012 Jeep Wrangler
Nasty1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #524
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Sux2bu, After closer inspection I found I was putting the lotion on the wrong brace, so when I applied it to the correct one, it marked a contact point on the outside of the top. I had previously cut the bracket and headliner very close to the outward headliner mounting hole. Today I loosen the bracket and adjusted it inward as much as possible. I did not remove and slot any holes. I then tried the lotion on both the metal brace and also the back of the headliner bracket. It still marked a slight contact on the outside of the top and also marked contact on headliner bracket at the location of the tip that is left below the outward #5 torx screw.
The bracket will always contact the inside of the top when it folds up so you really can't do a good lotion test under the top. The lotion test on the frame rail may still barely contact the outside of the top when the fabric folds. What you are looking for is to see if it it is just the fabric touching the frame rail or if it's the bracket forcing the top to contact the frame rail and causing a pinch point. You can see in this picture that the top is getting pinched in the middle of where the lotion is.

Also try not to use a lot of lotion, just a thin coat on the frame rail.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #525
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
It appears to relieve this I would have to redrill the headliner mounting holes and trim more. I 'm not sure if everything would work. I don't understand why chevy does'nt make the headliner bracket about 1/4 -3/8" shorter to give clearance.
Trimming the edge off the headliner mounting pad, the very tip of the bracket and moving the entire bracket over as far as the three bolts will let it should give you plenty of room.

You could redrill the holes to move the headliner mounting pad closer in (I actually tried this on my car) but then you will increase the gap between the window frame and the headliner. You don't really notice this small gap, but if you move the mounting pad it gets a lot bigger and more noticeable.

Here is the gap in question.
Attached Images

Last edited by SUX2BU; 08-02-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #526
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
I'm scheduled to drop off my car tomorrow morning for a top replacement, but if they don't have a clear documented fix for the problem, I'll postpone until GM works this out. My problem is the 2 screws in the bracket punching through the inner lining of the canvas top. I want GM to fix the situation before I go cutting brackets and relocating things.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #527
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Also if anyone has the idea of oblonging the three holes that mount the entire bracket, that won't work either. there is a trim piece attached to the bracket and when you push the bracket in as far as it will go it takes this trim piece with it. If you made the holes bigger to move the bracket over more it would move the trim piece too much and it would hit the header panel on the top.

Here is a pic after I moved my bracket in as far as it will go.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #528
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
I'm scheduled to drop off my car tomorrow morning for a top replacement, but if they don't have a clear documented fix for the problem, I'll postpone until GM works this out. My problem is the 2 screws in the bracket punching through the inner lining of the canvas top. I want GM to fix the situation before I go cutting brackets and relocating things.
Are you sure it's the bolts and thot the headliner mounting pad that the bolts hold on the bracket? That is what I have found to be the problem.

But yeah, if you don't want to do a fix like what I did, I suggest you wait until GM comes comes out with a fix to the real problem instead of just replacing tops.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #529
rainey85

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro Vert.
Well my car has been at the dealer since Tues. morning and I sure hope all the issues I told them about will be fixed. I'm sure my service advisor dreads me coming in because I always have info that I have found on the internet about the issues I am bringing the car in for. When I made the appt. on Fri. it was for my bluetooth constantly disconnecting and the rattle in the trunk, but over the weekend a few more issues arose and when I gave my list to him I thought he was gonna kill me. (lol)

Here is my list:

1. Bluetooth disconnecting (found a TSB online)
2. Rattle in the rear, sounds like it's coming from the trunk. (found a TSB online)
3. Inside top liner is very loose in the back right corner.
4. When putting up the right rear window it makes a noise.
5. The wind noise is really bad, especially in the rear on the right. (Jeff Morris says there
is a document about this).
6. The top has lumps above both front windows since being replaced.
and last but not least....
7. The rub marks and indentions are coming back!! (I don't expect these to fixed yet)

I'm praying and keeping my fingers crossed that once all these are fixed I won't have anymore problems anytime soon!!

rainey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #530
hwanger24

Drives: 11 Camaro Convert 2SS/RS
Little update on my situation:

After 40 minutes of arguing with Chevy's Customer Service, about the rumored new bracket fix. I have a schedule with the dealership's Service Manager and the GM Rep, of the area I assume.

The Customer Service person went as far as saying the TB# isn't real, when I'm reading it from post 212. Silly lady... :\
hwanger24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #531
RJMvertRS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Vert
I have been following this forum since I purchased my car about 4 weeks ago. I have not seen any rub marks yet. Although it's been really hot down here and top down rides have been few. Luckily I have not had any AC problems either. The build date on my vert was 5/2/2011.
I guess I am waiting on GM to come out with a fix before I take to the dealer. Seems to be a major issue for you guys, hope it happens soon.
Thanks for all the good info!!!!!!
RJMvertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #532
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
RJMvertRS, welcome!! And thank you for making your first post here. Would love to see pics of your vert!

My build date was a few days after yours, 5/10/2011. No rub marks yet. Hope a fix gets out for everyone that has them, also in case mine or others develop them.

Last edited by OrangeVert; 08-04-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling
OrangeVert is offline   Reply With Quote