Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #3543
Infernoo

Drives: '11 IOM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
I'm still debating if it's worth the swap from Injen.
I love my VR but since you already have the Injen I would advise against switching. Only because the difference in power from one CAI to the other will most likely be a minimal change and you wont notice it. It's not worth spending the extra $$$ to switch. If you were stock I would say yes, go with the VR.. but since you're not I'd say go with something else.. like the VMax TB or the Underdrive Pulley with belt, or an axel back or something.
Infernoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #3544
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
Short answer is for every day driving the Injen, Roto-fab, Airaid, CAI and the rest probably perform just as well as the VR.

I've had the SLP Blackwing, Airaid V1 & V2, Injen and now the VR.

I won't know if the VR will provide any substantial gains at higher speeds (60-100mph) until I get to the track. Fall is coming quick though.

I like the look of the VR in-line with the motor and the ease of maintaining the filter.

If I was going with a side box, it would be CAI. Really a nice looking, well built intake.

I still hate typing. lol
So just driving around you don't notice a difference?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #3545
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Not between the Injen and VR. I would say that when I first installed the Injen, I felt it was better in sound & perfomance than the SLP or Airaid by a bit.

Now that I have the VMax TB mated up with the VR, I'll go out on a limb and say it's the perfect marriage. Time will tell.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #3546
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
I had an AirRaid...the VR feels like an improvement to me, but then again another owner that went with the Injen from the AirRaid said the same.

Is it a huge on my God must have it difference from the AirRaid??? Not that much, but hey, I'll take what I can get lol

The improved sound difference was worth it....I give that two huge thumbs up
Old 08-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #3547
Infernoo

Drives: '11 IOM 2LT/RS
Yes, the sound from the VR is awesome!!! Also, another reason I went with VR is not only because they're a known name, the support is above all, and the reviews are raving everywhere, but the vendor doesn't spam and shamelessly post in their thread (or other members threads) to bring it back to the top like a few other vendors. The VR seems to pretty much speak for itself, from us.

Last edited by Infernoo; 08-24-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Infernoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #3548
Stevea361

Drives: 2011 v6 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurdib View Post
Are you talking about the deeper sound that comes from the engine?

Yes / no, I noticed the difference in sound immediately, what I notice is a muffled sound like the engine is starving for air, but only when driving 20-25 then punch it, until the engine gets over 3000 there is the deeper exhaust sounds and I here a muffled sound from the engine side almost like its gasping for air then when I hit 3000 it roars and the muffled gasping goes away. hard to explain, maybe i will shoot a small video after work today.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #3549
IBMCamaro

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
Not between the Injen and VR. I would say that when I first installed the Injen, I felt it was better in sound & perfomance than the SLP or Airaid by a bit.

Now that I have the VMax TB mated up with the VR, I'll go out on a limb and say it's the perfect marriage. Time will tell.
Indeed VMax TB mated up with the VR is the bomb!

Did I just say that??? I need a break....Off to vacation and Lackland AFB to watch my daughter graduate.
IBMCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #3550
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMCamaro View Post
Indeed VMax TB mated up with the VR is the bomb!
Bah, I guess my birthday gift will be a VMax TB. I should stop reading Camaro 5. It is constantly costing me.... VMAX is the next iteration... Although that is another thread on here.

I have not notice my Vararam starving for air between the rpm stated. I did notice a difference from Stock to Vararam on driving performance. My friend has a Vararam and he has not indicated a starving for air. humm..
In the end I did entertain going to CAI. Reason is I overtighten the intake clamp and turned a circle into a oval (ouch). Vararam sent me a new intake no questions. I installed that with out over tightening and all works fine. Thanks to GTO for the Plug and Clamps. Everything looks great and works grerat. Oh and thanks to Goo for cutting of my brackets.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #3551
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevea361 View Post
Yes / no, I noticed the difference in sound immediately, what I notice is a muffled sound like the engine is starving for air, but only when driving 20-25 then punch it, until the engine gets over 3000 there is the deeper exhaust sounds and I here a muffled sound from the engine side almost like its gasping for air then when I hit 3000 it roars and the muffled gasping goes away. hard to explain, maybe i will shoot a small video after work today.
I guess that at this RPM all Camaros act weird . We called it the dead spot because the car throttle response becomes poor. Those with headers and cat back get drone from their systems too.

Should be cured with Vmax TB.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #3552
Maurdib

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT/RS Auto
Quote:
I would say make sure you removed the rubber band on top of the radiator and you tucked the heat pad between the radiator and the A/C condesor so it not able to block air flow
Old 08-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #3553
billyboyf

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurdib View Post
I would say make sure you removed the rubber band on top of the radiator and you tucked the heat pad between the radiator and the A/C condesor so it not able to block air flow
What rubber band?
billyboyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #3554
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
There is a rubber piece that needs to be removed from the top of the radiator during installation of the VR. Once you remove it, you will be able to access the gap between the radiator and the condensor and slip the rubber heat pad down into it. I originally missed this step when I installed mine and eventually went back and did it right...it makes a difference in my mind.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #3555
Stevea361

Drives: 2011 v6 1LT
I originally had the heat shield in between the condenser and the radiator, then i watched the install video and it showed the heat shield going over the whole radiator, then the air scoop going on top of the heat shield. ???? guess I will go back and redo this step? but can't see how that would affect air flow.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #3556
Maurdib

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT/RS Auto
Quote:
I originally had the heat shield in between the condenser and the radiator, then i watched the install video and it showed the heat shield going over the whole radiator, then the air scoop going on top of the heat shield. ???? guess I will go back and redo this step? but can't see how that would affect air flow.
It just stops the wind from blowing the heat pad up taking away would be air flow. I had this issue when I did my original install.