Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #1
SuperChuck

Drives: 2013 1SS BlueRay Metallic
Service battery chargeing system

On my home from work I had this message display on the dash. Probably 5-10 miles later battery saver mode enabled(or something very similar)and the battery light came on the dash aswell. I turned the display to the voltage which was at 11.8. I drove home roughly 10 more miles. Still at 11.8. Dropped my wife off in the driveway without shutting the car off. When I put the car in park the battery light went out and voltage started to climb. Only a couple points but it did climb and maintain. I drove to my O'Reileys possible 1 mile. All lights remain off and voltage at 11.8. I ask them to test my battery and alternator. He tells me both are charged correct voltage and showing no problems. I hope back I and drive back home. This time no lights and 13.5/13.8 volts.

Could this just be a funky mishap? Or something really wrong. I just got the new battery in Nov. If it is that it will be free atleast but not to sure what's up here.
SuperChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:59 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Just out of curiosity what kind of battery did you get?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:08 AM   #3
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
You need to check the voltage at the battery with a multi-meter both running and not running. It should go up some when running. Also check for loose/corroded connections.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Just out of curiosity what kind of battery did you get?
Man to be honest not really sure. I'm thinking it was the O'Reileys store brand battery.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:53 AM   #5
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
You need to check the voltage at the battery with a multi-meter both running and not running. It should go up some when running. Also check for loose/corroded connections.
He checked under my hood at a positive terminal by my strut tower. with the car both off and on. And told me the alternator and battery were fine but never checked the battery itself. It did happen again on my way into work. Service battery charging system, and then battery save mode enabled. At around the same mike markers everything had happened yesterday. And when turning into work the battery light went out. Still at 11.8 volts.

Is this something that would cause my car to die while driving?
Old 04-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #6
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChuck View Post

Is this something that would cause my car to die while driving?
Of course that depends on what is actually wrong, but it's possible. If the battery voltage is actually getting to 11.8 while driving, I'm surprised the ECM isn't already acting up.
If you don't have a multimeter you need to either buy one or take the vehicle to a shop were than can diagnose what is going on.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #7
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Man to be honest not really sure. I'm thinking it was the O'Reileys store brand battery.
I new you were going to say that. I've had nothing but bad luck with those damn batteries That was the battery that came in my car when I bought it. If I let my car sit for 3-4 days it wouldn't start.. Took it to autozone and had it tested, they said it was good even though it wasn't.
I've been buying autozone's batteries for around 15 years and I've never had a problem with them. The autozone battery is actually made at the same factory as the die hard battery from sears so it's a really good battery. I don't know if that's your problem or not but I would get rid of that battery cause it will leave you stranded one day.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 04-29-2021, 01:11 PM   #8
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I new you were going to say that. I've had nothing but bad luck with those damn batteries That was the battery that came in my car when I bought it. If I let my car sit for 3-4 days it wouldn't start.. Took it to autozone and had it tested, they said it was good even though it wasn't.
I've been buying autozone's batteries for around 15 years and I've never had a problem with them. The autozone battery is actually made at the same factory as the die hard battery from sears so it's a really good battery. I don't know if that's your problem or not but I would get rid of that battery cause it will leave you stranded one day.
Alright man something really awesome to consider. like I said I will be back up there today hopefully having them test it separately by itself. Definitely hoping this is just a battery. Or even a alternator it is the same stock one once had so it is 8 years old or so.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:22 PM   #9
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
I think you may have an alternator issue. With the car off, the battery should indicate over 12VDC (12.3 - 12.5-ish). Anything less than 12VDC, and the battery is in a discharged/weakened state. With the car running, voltage at the battery should be close to 14VDC (13.5 - 14.5-ish).

Try a different auto store, and have them load test the alternator & battery.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:13 PM   #10
SuperChuck

New update. Happened again on the way home from work. The light went off much faster and went into the 12's. Once I got home I checked the battery. Some of the cables or wires that have the clips securing them to the trunk were out of of there clips. I also got the clamps to tighten slightly on the post.

I took it for a drive for about 25 minutes. The same amount of time as my commute to work. No lights no warnings and the volts climbed up to 14 maybe fell to 13.5. I did not have anything tested but will be driving it again tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:12 PM   #11
SuperChuck

Definitely would say this is the fix. Drove today to and fro no at all.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:34 AM   #12
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Definitely would say this is the fix. Drove today to and fro no at all.
Well good I'm glad you got it figured out buddy. But I wouldn't count on that battery for too long though. Like I said before they have left me stranded multiple times even after testing good.