Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #15
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
yes greenhornet2, you are correct, and you are correct. I took a known drag racer in my area. (he used to hold, I don't know if he still does. the fastest 1/4 mile time for a turbo 4 cyl mustang) for a ride this morning. he told me to park it as soon as possible. and that he would help me with it. you were right hornet thanks, the oldman..........
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #16
oldman14ss

ordered my new bearing set today. pinion etc. ordered a tub of the marking paste also so I can document and send the pattern to previous installer. I read on rock auto web site I think install instructions from us-gear that putting new bearing kit on used gears to set them up on the coast side then go from there. hope the gears aren't to worn in yet so as to facilitate the quietening of the gears I hope. thanks for all your constructive critisim from you all youre a great help to me and honestly great people on this web site. I'm like everybody else I hate getting stuck, I could have done it myself better than this guy did . just by listening to you guys. I'm going to take pictures of this. and have my daughter teach me to post. to help with us all. might talk to my friend and see if he wants to film it for a youtube post there are very limited video's on set up of 218mm center section. the oldman...........
Old 06-07-2020, 01:39 PM   #17
oldman14ss

got my rearend out. got the new bearing kit once again, extra crush washer, and pinion seal. drag racer is busy. talked to a guy I know who has his own shop. he was once a GM dealer mechanic before his own shop, has other GM dealer mechanics who work for him. one of his men while working for dealer used to set up rear ends on the side. they both know how and said it will be fixed right, the boss says they might not get the whine out, the other guy said no problem. dang I wish I would have went to him first. drive side is all the way to the heel, looks half off. coast side way deep into the toe. guys said It dam sure aint set right. as I said once before Greenhornet2 you were correct thanks little brother! 2100 miles on it I hope it isn't too late to take out whine. the oldman........
Old 06-15-2020, 11:01 PM   #18
oldman14ss

update: they pulled the carrier out today, took the pinion out, and split the tip that goes onto the drive shaft. the split is in two places longitudely along the pinion shaft the reason it did that was theASSHOLE before used some kind of high strength epoxy to glue the crush washer to the pinion. they got it out, and also found the big side of the pinion bearing looks like somebody got mad and beat it in with a hammer burred up the race. I was going to maybe let it slide if they just needed to shim but now I think it will be time to ask for money back if not, it's court time. the oldman...
Old 06-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #19
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman14ss View Post
update: they pulled the carrier out today, took the pinion out, and split the tip that goes onto the drive shaft. the split is in two places longitudely along the pinion shaft the reason it did that was theASSHOLE before used some kind of high strength epoxy to glue the crush washer to the pinion. they got it out, and also found the big side of the pinion bearing looks like somebody got mad and beat it in with a hammer burred up the race. I was going to maybe let it slide if they just needed to shim but now I think it will be time to ask for money back if not, it's court time. the oldman...

go get 'em brother!

PEACE
Old 06-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #20
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Finding mechanics to trust is incredibly hard.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #21
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
I hate to add on to what is already a painful story to read (been there done that)... but I doubt that you'll ever get it quiet if it was driven for any length of time without the right setup. I had a crush collar fail a couple thousand miles into a set of Motive 4.11's I had, and drove it a couple hundred miles home with basically no pinion load.

Put in new bearings, set up was nice, beautiful pattern, but it was super noisy. The shop even pulled it apart and tried a second time, but the gears had just taken a set to them. I drove it a few thousand miles hoping they might wear back right - they didn't.

I eventually had it rebuilt a third time, this time with a new set of Yukon's, TruTrac, and all new Timken bearings. It's decent now, but still ain't quiet - I blame the LPW cover. Those load bolts are like a stethoscope right to the ring gear and then up into the car (BMR pro bushings, solid cradle bushings).
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #22
oldman14ss

how did the crush collar fail? did the pinion seat all the way? did the stake on the pinion shaft fail? now you're throwing more paranoia my way.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #23
oldman14ss

I have new ring and pinion coming. starting all over.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #24
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman14ss View Post
how did the crush collar fail? did the pinion seat all the way? did the stake on the pinion shaft fail? now you're throwing more paranoia my way.
I don't have any proof, but the shop that got me squared away was fairly confident it was an installation error. The prior installer likely did not get a full crush on the collar, and so it was able to give a little and work itself loose. Apparently there is a little art and feel to getting that preload set right.

I don't believe they typically stake pinion nuts on these cars. I looked into that a little when this happened, but the second drive-line shop I worked with assured me it really is necessary as long as it's done right. Their work has been top notch without issues.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:59 PM   #25
oldman14ss

acammer, thanks for the info. I distinctly remember that when I pulled the diff that the pinion nut was staked. the service manual says to stake the nut also. I've got a good shop fixing it now. just waiting on gears. they also have my service manual high lighted and tabbed for reference. I loaned it to the initial installer. guess he thought he knew everything. for example: the diff cover bolts are torqued to 41 ft lbs . mine were at 17 ft lbs. when torqued properly, the sum of the parts is the strenghth. lucky I didn't split the diff housing also. the oldman.....
Old 06-18-2020, 05:54 AM   #26
Dogmeat

Drives: 2011 RS
Just because: I always find it funny when someone posts "rear differential", when we KNOW it's in the rear, unless yer talkin' 'bout a 4 wheel drive vehicle!