Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #4887
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Dropped from the main bill. Just keep fighting, writing, and educating!

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #4888
Kadet1

Drives: Camaro SIM
Here's my new conceal only shot 100 rounds so far love it and the built in laser is awesome and accurate. Great pocket gun looks like a cell phone or wallet in pocket.
Attached Images

Kadet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #4889
67RS2010SS

Drives: Maroon 67 rs and CRT 2012 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadet1 View Post
Here's my new conceal only shot 100 rounds so far love it and the built in laser is awesome and accurate. Great pocket gun looks like a cell phone or wallet in pocket.
Nice I picked one up a few weeks ago just got to get some range time in now.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #4890
Kadet1

Drives: Camaro SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67RS2010SS View Post
Nice I picked one up a few weeks ago just got to get some range time in now.
I hope you like it. It does have a long trigger pull but is really smoothe
Kadet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #4891
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadet1 View Post
Nice, would be sick as .45acp. Problem with th .380, how much stopping power does it have if your being rushed? That is why after buying the makarov to carry I switched to the kimber.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #4892
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8OPEC View Post
A $1.05 a round is ridiculous considering the price this time last year it was $0.39 a round or less! That's one hell of a mark up thanks to the gov ordering far more ammo than they can possibly use for departments that do not carry weapons, for an example, over 450 million hollow point rounds of just one caliber were ordered for the DHS/TSA! Why?

They may not be able to ban weapons but they can sure as hell make ammo either hard to find or far too expensive to buy for normal people achieving almost the same effect as a ban. I say stock up on components like primers, bullets and powder and save your brass when you go to the range you may not be able to find it readily available in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
/tinfoil hat

DHS/TSA covers border patrol, secret service, CIA, FBI, TSA (air marshals, etc), and basically every single federal agency that is not the military. I've heard time and again that it's "more round than they could possibly use". That's not true. The government orders things like this in MASSIVE bulk to get a bulk buy discount we couldn't even dream of. This order does not go in once a year, but rather is a contract for several years (I believe 5).

Think about those times you go shooting, and how easy it is to plink through 100 rounds. What does it take you... 30 minutes maybe?

These departments need to train also. DHS employs more than 200 thousand federal workers, not to mention its contracted ones. Do the math:

Lets just pretend that all 200k use guns, and that none of the contracted ones do. 200k people. 450 million rounds. 5 years.

That's only 450 rounds per year, per individual. Do you really think that's excessive? I used to buy 500 rounds a month or more.

The inflation of prices is because of panic buyers, and panic buyers only. Supply and demand. Nothing more, nothing less. People are scared they will lose all of their rights overnight, and are stockpiling everything they can get their hands on. It happened in 2008 (not as bad), and they weren't even trying to pass the massive gun legislation they are now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8OPEC View Post
I threw the tinfoil hat away!

I cannot find any historical data right now but I don't think the government has made such a large purchase of hollow point ammo ever! I think the total of all ammo ordered (all calibers) for non military use is 1.2 billion rounds not just the 450 million rounds of .40 cal hollow points I referred to above. Are they really training with hollow points? I think not, they're running the prices up by keeping supply down. That's all I was saying.
Quote:
I highly doubt that's the case. Hollow points are shown to be the most effective personal defense ammo while cutting down on possible collateral damage. And that order went in pre-Newtown. And even if it was the case, how does one explain the lack of .223, 9mm, .45acp, and various other ammo? If it was really the case, the only thing that would be hard to find is .40 hollow points. Ironically enough, the only thing I seem to find a LOT of is .40 FMJ (and 7.62/.308). It's panic buyers. It's the same ammo shortage as in 2008, just a longer duration. Same rounds hard to find. Same lack of magazines and firearms. Same price gouging. And that was done WITHOUT the DHS purchase. People are sheep.

I doubt they train with hollow points, but anybody that shoots knows it's important to train with the same round you use. FMJ and HP don't shoot the same. But, I also don't have any data on just how many people 450 million rounds is supposed to supply for 5 years. You also have to remember, that DHS has expanded at a huge rate in the last 10 years. It's very possible that an order that large was never made because there were not as many people to supply.

And I wouldn't throw your tinfoil hat away if I were you. I keep mine on the nightstand next to the bed.
Let's see.In basic training alone there were 40 people in my class shooting between 150 to 300 everyday for about 2 and a half months. about 8 classes going at once in my agency alone, not including the 4 other LE agencies in dhs. Plus quarterly qualifications for all the already existing employees.

Yes, we practice with what we shoot. Yes, we shoot a lot. Yes, you are welcome. Yes, you can take off your tinfoil hat.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #4893
kalimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Yes, you can take off your tinfoil hat.
I thought so. We can still keep it next to the bed right?

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
Old 03-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #4894
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
I thought so. We can still keep it next to the bed right?
I would
Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #4895
2010CamaroOutlaw

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS

Last edited by 2010CamaroOutlaw; 03-27-2013 at 12:19 AM.
2010CamaroOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #4896
manchimp

Drives: 2010 CGM 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
Anyone know where to find 9mm and .380 in bulk online quickly?? I tried sportsmansguide.com, cheaperthandirt.com, and ALL the local K/Walmarts but all seem to be back ordered for months... Thanks Democrats!
I just put some 9mm up in the classifieds section.
manchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #4897
kalimus

Why is this thread dead?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #4898
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
We're all busy writing to our representatives

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #4899
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Interesting video on 3D printed guns. It's a little long but it's pretty amazing how far they've gotten.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #4900
kalimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
We're all busy writing to our representatives
Ugh, true that. I've been scanning for ammo too. It's starting to fall in price. VERY slowly... but it's happening. Just picked up 500 rounds of Winchester .45ACP 230gr for about 44 cents a round the other day. .223/5.56 is still stupid high.

Tags
camaro gun