Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
Headlight Armor Stealth all around

I am going for a Red/Black look to my Camaro. I was wondering if anyone has the 20% stealth look all around. I did some seraching and read the entire Headlight Armor thread and didn't find any shots of what I was looking for.

Also if you have the 20% stealth, are your headlights and tailights still usuable with them on?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Drives: E63AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66olds442 View Post
I am going for a Red/Black look to my Camaro. I was wondering if anyone has the 20% stealth look all around. I did some seraching and read the entire Headlight Armor thread and didn't find any shots of what I was looking for.

Also if you have the 20% stealth, are your headlights and tailights still usuable with them on?
I know this is my opinion, but blacking out head and tail lights doesn't seem like such a smart idea. If you get into an accident one of the first things that is going to get called into question is the fact that your lights are blacked out. Attorneys and insurance investigators will go after this stuff as a means not to pay a claim. Actually they'll try any angle, and this is making it easy for them. It really could put you at risk in a legal battle against another party. To me, I would leave the lights alone. But at the end of the day it's an individual choice.
Prior Project Cars: 96 WS6, 96 Steeda Cobra, 93/74/99/01ZO6 Vettes, Supra Turbo, and BMW M3.
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYCAN View Post
I know this is my opinion, but blacking out head and tail lights doesn't seem like such a smart idea. If you get into an accident one of the first things that is going to get called into question is the fact that your lights are blacked out. Attorneys and insurance investigators will go after this stuff as a means not to pay a claim. Actually they'll try any angle, and this is making it easy for them. It really could put you at risk in a legal battle against another party. To me, I would leave the lights alone. But at the end of the day it's an individual choice.

Ya, I've seen the threads here all about that. I spoke to a few of my lawyer friends over the weekend and not one of them have seen this ever work in court. People may of tried it but it hasn't seemed to work in Texas or California (where my friends work).

IMO my car is red enough, if some dumb@## doesn't see me, there's always the gas pedal to leave him in the dust.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Understood, and I'm not trying to be a butt-head for bringing it up. Just looking out for my Camaro brethern. The world is full of bad drivers who will drag you through court trying to sue over anything. I had $15,000 in damage done to my ZO6 from some old woman who drove right into me. She then got of of the car, accused me of several things, and even lied to the police. They found her story to be BS, but I got dragged through the mud over trying to collect the money to get it fixed. Her claim was that she didn't see due to me speeding. Far from the truth. I was going 25 MPH making a left turn. Her insurance company was trying every angle with me to try to avoid paying...I was livid.
Prior Project Cars: 96 WS6, 96 Steeda Cobra, 93/74/99/01ZO6 Vettes, Supra Turbo, and BMW M3.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Larz29

Drives: 2010 camaro ss LS3 cyber grey
I agree with LYCAN. you have to be careful with going too crazy with the blackout look. Myself, I just purchased the headlight armor tint, but I only did the 'lightest tint' they have which gives my 1ss more of an rs tail light look. Plus, just my opinion the blackout look for tail lights is a little on the ghetto side.
Larz29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz29 View Post
I agree with LYCAN. you have to be careful with going too crazy with the blackout look. Myself, I just purchased the headlight armor tint, but I only did the 'lightest tint' they have which gives my 1ss more of an rs tail light look. Plus, just my opinion the blackout look for tail lights is a little on the ghetto side.

just curious. what is ghetto about tinted tail lights? i understand you may or may not like them, but what makes them ghetto and what is your definition of ghetto. again, just curious. I see people tossing that word around for pretty much anything they dont like, same as "ricer" and a lot of the times it doesnt seem to fit to me.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Larz29

Drives: 2010 camaro ss LS3 cyber grey
Ok, ghetto was a bad descriptive word. Just saying.. In my humble opinion I don't like black tail lights. For my vehicles, I think it looks cheesy.
Larz29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Black taillights look ghetto, I completely agree but I don't think they do on the camaro. While we are on this subject any other light tinting companies anyone would recommend?

Edit: I use Ghetto as making a car look cheap. Perfect example putting tiny 10" rims on a sexy camaro
Old 01-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Put aside the legal consequence ect. why would anyone want less light coming from their headlights especially during the night time. When it`s night time I want all the light on the road I can get not less. Right now I`m looking into getting brighter headlights not dimmer.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Steet lamps where I am are so bright that I could run with my headlights off on 95% of the roads I drive on at night
Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
razorduck
Self Made Thousandaire

Drives: 2011 SS/RS RJT
I just put light smoke HA on my headlights Saturday and even though they say 50% I can hardly tell the difference in lighting the road. I liked it so much I ordered light smoke for my driving lights as well but I'm leaving my tail lights alone for now for the reasons posted above.
razorduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
We have a lot of info and photos in our vendor thread here.

A few points, the Stealth Smoke Headlight Protection kits are aimed at the track / show user and are not intended for night use. This is the reason they were omitted from our night Headlight Protection kit testing photos on the site here.

As for the Smoked Taillight kits, we have night testing photos of the various tint levels of the Smoked Taillight kit from both 500 and 1000 feet on the site here. Even at 1000 feet the running lights were visible - even with the darkest material. If somebody can't see a vehicle 1000 feet away at night they likely should not be driving at night...

Let me know if you have any other questions about them.
HeadlightArmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I have the tail lights and front turn signals in stealth smoke from headlight armor. I had the side markers as well but I just replaced them with inferno orange vinyl. They are easy enough to see at night imo.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor View Post
the Stealth Smoke Headlight Protection kits are aimed at the track / show user and are not intended for night use.
Ditto.

I have to say from looking at the pics that the lights are more visible that I thought they would be. Looks like a good product. I'm just overly cautious these days.