Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #1471
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
To those fortunate enough to have been at PRI:

Was there anything new or revealing, at PRI, regarding "enthusiastic" Camaros? What was GM's emphasis, there?
Some cool stuff from Mcleod they have a cool line launch/lock set up that's pretty cool.

Rockland Standard gear, Had some awsome rebuild stuff for the tr6060 manual transmissions.

including an SFI approved bellhousing.

Also the Driveshaft shop had some bad ass stuff like a 12 bolt and some 1000 HP half shafts...

Brembo had some unreal brakes with near race capabilities....

Copo camaro was flexing... GMPP was well represented....

other than that it was the standard stuff we see here reqularly.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #1472
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Anyone hear any more info on the 1LE or Hot Wheels Camaro's?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #1473
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"

PRE - RAMBLE
:
This may be slightly off-topic, but I am finding an awful lot of technical knowledge in this thread. So I must impose slightly. I recognize the posters here are very accurate. Very informative. And, one area I'm sure to get good views from. I expect you might think my question a bit novice. But... I'll risk that bcuz I like you guys!

I am going to get my ZL1, and "had" ad Z28 been available, might have easily "settled" for it. Although I think that the Z28 will actually be seen as another pinnacle of normally aspirated world performance when it finally gets here, not to mention "bang for the buck".

MY ISSUE:
When I get the ZL1 it will be one of my lifetime achievements (despite being a material thing). Except for living the dream after I take delivery. My goal will not be to increase performance, but to maximize longevity and have fun. That leaves me asking all of you with the most experience:

What mods would you make to the ZL1 that would maintain the factory warranty, but increase reliability (for normal street driving with limited sanctioned race participation)? I really am not that deep in the pockets to race, repair, replace, et al. If you were to add anything that helped performance, and stay within warranty, you can add those ideas to your recommendations. I also don't want to lower the ZL1 at all. It's already a bit low and dangerously close to curbs, road humps, or low shoulders on the road. I'm really a bit uncomfortable with that aspect.

So think of things that 1) increase reliability/longevity 2) increase fun 3) increase performance but KEEPS WARRANTY COMPLETE.

Some things that come to mind for me might be:
Catch Can
CAI (though the factory could claim it altered oxygen to cylinders)
Mild/Wild Exhaust Switch (or pull fuse?)
Braided brake lines
Braided Radiator hoses
Driveshaft safety loops
Heater Hose relocation kit (to clean up engine compartment)

So, for you TECH guys this is a silly question coming at you. But maybe, therefore one you can use just to kill some time! I'd certainly take any advise you have seriously.

Last edited by htron50; 12-12-2011 at 08:36 PM.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #1474
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post

PRE - RAMBLE
:
This may be slightly off-topic, but I am finding an awful lot of technical knowledge in this thread. So I must impose slightly. I recognize the posters here are very accurate. Very informative. And, one area I'm sure to get good views from. I expect you might think my question a bit novice. But... I'll risk that bcuz I like you guys!

I am going to get my ZL1, and "had" ad Z28 been available, might have easily "settled" for it. Although I think that the Z28 will actually be seen as another pinnacle of normally aspirated world performance when it finally gets here, not to mention "bang for the buck".

MY ISSUE:
When I get the ZL1 it will be one of my lifetime achievements (despite being a material thing). Except for living the dream after I take delivery. My goal will not be to increase performance, but to maximize longevity and have fun. That leaves me asking all of you with the most experience:

What mods would you make to the ZL1 that would maintain the factory warranty, but increase reliability (for normal street driving with limited sanctioned race participation)? I really am not that deep in the pockets to race, repair, replace, et al. If you were to add anything that helped performance, and stay within warranty, you can add those ideas to your recommendations. I also don't want to lower the ZL1 at all. It's already a bit low and dangerously close to curbs, road humps, or low shoulders on the road. I'm really a bit uncomfortable with that aspect.

So think of things that 1) increase reliability/longevity 2) increase fun 3) increase performance but KEEPS WARRANTY COMPLETE.

Some things that come to mind for me might be:
Catch Can
CAI (though the factory could claim it altered oxygen to cylinders)
Mild/Wild Exhaust Switch (or pull fuse?)
Braided brake lines
Braided Radiator hoses
Driveshaft safety loops
Heater Hose relocation kit (to clean up engine compartment)

So, for you TECH guys this is a silly question coming at you. But maybe, therefore one you can use just to kill some time! I'd certainly take any advise you have seriously.
What mods would you make to the ZL1 that would maintain the factory warranty, but increase reliability (for normal street driving with limited sanctioned race participation)?

When you do anything to increase performance you will increase wear and decrease reliability. I say that because you will drive it harder. The harder you drive the more often things break or wear out. The SS rolls out of the showroom at 420 CSHP. People add headers and tunes to get more HP. If you have more HP and use it you will wear, tires, brakes and everything else faster. If you have it and don't use it what is the point?

The ZL1 has been engineered and tested to do exactly what you are asking for. Keep it exactly the way the factory designed it and enjoy a great car for many years.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #1475
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

The ZL1 has been engineered and tested to do exactly what you are asking for. Keep it exactly the way the factory designed it and enjoy a great car for many years.
That's kinda what I was thinking about doing. But I have to take it to the drag strip once or twice in it's lifetime! Maybe at CFESTIII !
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #1476
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
That's kinda what I was thinking about doing. But I have to take it to the drag strip once or twice in it's lifetime! Maybe at CFESTIII !
Absolutely!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #1477
427camaro

Drives: 2011 HTR-454SS Camaro, 87 Buick GN
Quote:
What mods would you make to the ZL1 that would maintain the factory warranty, but increase reliability (for normal street driving with limited sanctioned race participation)?

When you do anything to increase performance you will increase wear and decrease reliability. I say that because you will drive it harder. The harder you drive the more often things break or wear out. The SS rolls out of the showroom at 420 CSHP. People add headers and tunes to get more HP. If you have more HP and use it you will wear, tires, brakes and everything else faster. If you have it and don't use it what is the point?

What Pete says makes alot of good since. Before I give my advise, first a disclaimer… I’m just a regular car guy, (Not a mechanic) but have learned many things over the years. If the regular posters here agree or disagree on what I say, please chime in…

The only thing I would add to this is, look into using a good quality racing oil in your ZL1. I don't necessilary mean something like mobil-1 synthetic. I’m talking about the oils NASCAR & Dirt Stock Cars use. Over the recent years some chemicals like Zinc and others, have been removed or reduced for environmental reasons and the oils do not work as well as they have in the past. I’m told the new motors are designed to tolerate current oils, but I think in the long run a motor will last longer on a better quality oil. For years I’ve run Mobil-1 in my cars, and had good luck, then when I learned of the changes in the oils I started using an oil additive, and as I learned more, I ditched that additive idea, and now use a racing oil called “Cen-Pe-Co”.

I also want to say, use a high quality conventional oil for break in, then switch to the racing oil. Oils that lube extremely well, can hinder the break in process. Rings & other parts need to wear in and “seat” for break in, and synthetic oils & others that lube too well, may hinder things from breaking in properly.

427camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #1478
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

I'd look for ways to lighten the car. I would put in nice driving seats, lighter and better control. Ditch the wiper/washer bottle(save it though). Add rear 2 piece rotors. Headers...Pete?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #1479
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I'd look for ways to lighten the car. I would put in nice driving seats, lighter and better control. Ditch the wiper/washer bottle(save it though).
Planning to use the bottle for meth?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #1480
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Planning to use the bottle for meth?
No, it is I guess 7LBS when full on the nose end. I just don't want him to toss it out.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #1481
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Hellloooooo,...Pete,...Number 2.99,...Lowdown,...2cnd chance, anybody home....???
Old 01-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #1482
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

I'm here
Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #1483
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
I'd take out the supercharger and replace it. I'd add headers, a CAM and exhaust. The tranny is re-inforced, the gears are upgraded, and good tires.
However, I'm sure the suspension could be better as well, but, we'll see what the aftermarket comes out with to prove or dis-prove that. Just because it has MRT doesn't mean it can be improved.
Problem is with the stuff I listed warranty is scraped.
Dont' see how you can do anything to the vehicle without some portion of the warranty being dishonoured.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #1484
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The warranty issues aren't because of a lack of suitable parts and/or technology, able to create improvements. The "problem" is those parts/pieces/technology must go through GM's rigorous certification and validation processes. Which takes time. And time, as we all know, is money...

Dropping the suspension requires re-crash-testing. Reprogramming MRC for reduced Curb Weight will require "some" engineering-related issues. Devising a new engine recipe requires a LOT of work for the folks at Powertrain.

...and on...and on...

G'day, Old School...present and accounted for.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro