Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Zackety93

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 6-speed manual
BMR vs. Pfadt Springs?

So I'm wanting to go lower! The stock ride height is too high for my taste, as well as most people apparently! So I've looked into several brands and two stood out more than others: Pfadt and BMR. I do not have the money for coilovers currently... Maybe some day. But for a little lower stance now...

The Pfadt website is really good. Very informative and the prices are reasonable. The Pfadt springs are a 1.25" drop if I'm correct? On the Pfadt website, it states:

"Pfadt Lowering Springs have been engineered to optimize the factory damping with a 1 to 1.25 drop and increased spring rate. Lower your Camaro more than 1.25 inches and you'll find that the factory dampers no longer work properly, resulting in a bouncy ride."

On the other hand, BMR springs drop the car 1.4" and are a bit less pricey. However, according to Pfadt, lowering it 1.4" will be stressful on the factory struts?

I'm not sure that the 0.15" difference is even that noticeable... But still..

So my question is.. Which is the best option? I would like my car as low as I can get it on springs... but not at the total cost of ride quality.. and not at the cost of damaging the factory parts to the point of early replacement.

Thanks in advance!
Zackety93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
crl214

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS LS3
Pfadt just posted that they are closing their doors, so you better hurry if you want to find some from a vendor that might still have them in stock.

I have the BMR 1" springs, and really like them. I've lowered several cars over the years and these springs ride and handle the best in my opinion. Definite thumbs up for the BMR springs
crl214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackety93 View Post
So I'm wanting to go lower! The stock ride height is too high for my taste, as well as most people apparently! So I've looked into several brands and two stood out more than others: Pfadt and BMR. I do not have the money for coilovers currently... Maybe some day. But for a little lower stance now...

The Pfadt website is really good. Very informative and the prices are reasonable. The Pfadt springs are a 1.25" drop if I'm correct? On the Pfadt website, it states:

"Pfadt Lowering Springs have been engineered to optimize the factory damping with a 1 to 1.25 drop and increased spring rate. Lower your Camaro more than 1.25 inches and you'll find that the factory dampers no longer work properly, resulting in a bouncy ride."

On the other hand, BMR springs drop the car 1.4" and are a bit less pricey. However, according to Pfadt, lowering it 1.4" will be stressful on the factory struts?

I'm not sure that the 0.15" difference is even that noticeable... But still..

So my question is.. Which is the best option? I would like my car as low as I can get it on springs... but not at the total cost of ride quality.. and not at the cost of damaging the factory parts to the point of early replacement.

Thanks in advance!
Pfadt is no longer an option. They have closed their doors. BMR offers 1 inch and 1.4 inch drop springs. 1.4 inches is pretty aggressive and about as much as I am comfortable recommending. Go beyond that and the ride will suffer and you will see a significant reduction in the service life of your stock dampers.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Zackety93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Pfadt is no longer an option. They have closed their doors. BMR offers 1 inch and 1.4 inch drop springs. 1.4 inches is pretty aggressive and about as much as I am comfortable recommending. Go beyond that and the ride will suffer and you will see a significant reduction in the service life of your stock dampers.

Received a PM about that as well. I had no idea. That's no good. Well then does anyone recommend anything other than BMR?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Received a PM about that as well. I had no idea. That's no good. Well then does anyone recommend anything other than BMR?
There are other brands like Hotchkis and Eibach. They are both 1 inch springs.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I would do either BMR or Hotchkis springs. I had Hotchkis prior to my coilovers and they rode well IMO.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
BMR offers a 1.0" drop set, a 1.4" drop set , or even a raked 1.4" (front) & 1.0" (rear) set!!! Plus, they have a lifetime warranty against any "Sag" to the original purchaser. And here is the REALLY good news:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344278
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Those who have the Hotchkiss springs say they are the smoothest ride out of all the lowering springs. If I wasn't saving for coilovers, I'd probably go with Hotchkiss.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Zackety93

Pretty much everyone says to save for coilovers... :l I suppose that's what I might do... That way it would be adjustable.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
tj@LSRPerformance

Drives: 2011 Camaro
There is also LSR Performance:

LSR Performance lowering springs will lower the vehicle 1 inch in the front and 1 1/4 inches in the rear for a more level ride height and better weight distribution.

http://www.lsrperformance.com/lsr-st...g-springs.html

You can email me at tim@lsrperformance.com if I can help you with anything.

Best Regards,
TJ
tj@LSRPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
Zackety93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Is 1.4" a "safe" drop? Or could I possibly be having problems down the road?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Is 1.4" a "safe" drop? Or could I possibly be having problems down the road?
It is about as far as you can go before things do start to go down hill. You do not want anything that is lower than that.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #13
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
Those who have the Hotchkiss springs say they are the smoothest ride out of all the lowering springs. If I wasn't saving for coilovers, I'd probably go with Hotchkiss.
Love my car on Hotchkis with 1LE dampers.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote