Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Why the Camaro and Corvette can produce downforce...

Ok. I'll admit title was a little bit of a bait.

BUT!!

The article below, describes a Chevy-developed aerodynamics Kit for the Indy 500 race cars raced by Chevy teams. Chevrolet shares development and knowledge across all vehicle lines when applicable.

The fact that this project was done in the first place further supports the idea that our cars are being developed by people who genuinely have an interest and expertise in racing.

Chevrolet Speedway Aero Kit Revealed for Indy 500
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...erokit-gm.html

Quote:
Chevrolet introduced its speedway aero kit to be used on high-speed ovals in the 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series – including features developed exclusively for running the Indianapolis 500.

The speedway configuration, which was developed in conjunction with the road course configuration, emphasizes the low-drag attributes that enable Chevrolet race cars to achieve speeds of more than 230 mph at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s famous 2.5-mile oval.

“With the speedway configuration, the emphasis is on reducing aerodynamic drag, for greater speed, while maintaining sufficient downforce,” said Chris Berube, Chevrolet IndyCar program manager. “Innovative designs were used to develop the right combination of downforce and drag, along with engine performance.”...
There's more details within.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I figure my 1SS LS3 makes downforce from being hideously overweight

Old 05-02-2015, 10:59 PM   #3
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I figure my 1SS LS3 makes downforce from being hideously overweight

Only two ways to beat the wind, slice through it or let gravity do all the work.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:59 PM   #4
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Ummm...did they forget about this?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/29/v...-of-230-mph-t/

Lol...not hating...just a funny coincidence that they'd work with 230mph cars
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
brokencilence

Drives: '14 1LE, Z28.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaSS View Post
Ummm...did they forget about this?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/29/v...-of-230-mph-t/

Lol...not hating...just a funny coincidence that they'd work with 230mph cars
The Z06 was never designed to go 230+ mph. It's a street car. Look at the C6.R Z06 aero package.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencilence View Post
The Z06 was never designed to go 230+ mph. It's a street car. Look at the C6.R Z06 aero package.
Yeah I totally get it, the irony I was pointing out was the 230mph figure...The Hinson crash at 230mph was a pretty well discussed topic. But you're right to point out that there is a proper package for a project like that. Although, not a total failure for the standard z06 package with added driver protection at that speed, since the driver walked away
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
Old 05-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
You guys obviously didn't read the article if you're talking about Corvettes.

This is referring to the new Verizon Indy 500 cars.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #8
brokencilence

Drives: '14 1LE, Z28.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaSS View Post
Yeah I totally get it, the irony I was pointing out was the 230mph figure...The Hinson crash at 230mph was a pretty well discussed topic. But you're right to point out that there is a proper package for a project like that. Although, not a total failure for the standard z06 package with added driver protection at that speed, since the driver walked away
I agree, as it is incredible to walk away from a crash at that speed as there have been a few good ones over the past couple years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibbs

So the thread got a little off topic, isn't that what threads usually do...?

Old 05-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post

Exactly. My point in posting it in the first place was to demonstrate how the development and knowledge gained on projects like these get trickled down to Corvettes and Camaros, etc.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post

+1
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #11
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Exactly. My point in posting it in the first place was to demonstrate how the development and knowledge gained on projects like these get trickled down to Corvettes and Camaros, etc.
Hey my bad...yeah I didn't read it, your title baited me into off topic convo lol