Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
mig7410

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
ZL1 on the track, heat soak?

Anybody tracking there ZL1. With all the problems of the ZO6 and the heatsoak I was wondering how the ZL1 does on the track. I have a 1LE now and would like to get the new ZL1-1LE but want to make sure it can this is all fixed up.
I already traded in a 2015 ZO6 for the 1LE which I love.
mig7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Nitro66215

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert - M6,SIM,CFW,NAV
There is a thread about the Z06 problem. However, i believe due to the size and number of coolers, there will not be a problem with the ZL1. There is a lot more "grill" on the ZL1
2018 2SS Vert - Hot Wheels - Indy 500 #30

2017 ZL1 Vert - M6 , SIM, CFW, NAV

2017 RS 1LT 2.0T Vert - A8, Garnet Red - SOLD :-(
Added - IO6 - NAV, UHS - Enhanced Display, K4C - Wireless Charger, UV6 -
Heads-Up Display - DIY

2011 CTS-V - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(
2013 ZL1 - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(
2010 2SS - Indy 500 Pace Car. - SOLD. :-(
2002 Z28 - Pewter / Black - SOLD. :-(
Nitro66215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
mig7410

asked the same question on the Corvette Forum. Not a problem with the Camaro.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #4
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig7410 View Post
Anybody tracking there ZL1. With all the problems of the ZO6 and the heatsoak I was wondering how the ZL1 does on the track. I have a 1LE now and would like to get the new ZL1-1LE but want to make sure it can this is all fixed up.
I already traded in a 2015 ZO6 for the 1LE which I love.
Supposedly, no issues on the ZL1.

It has a taller SC Lid, bigger intercooler bricks, the frontal area looks like a large mouth bass with its mouth open, 11 heat exchanging bits and different ducting, the supposedly better heat extractor on the hood, plus the engine bay is just less jammed.

The 17+ Z06s got all the nice revised stuff, so ~should~ be better on track than their 15/16 counter parts. You'll even notice on a 17+ Z06 that the SC lid looks like the ZL1 and the underside of the hood was revised to handle the taller lid.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Of the 11 heat exchangers, I believe 6 function to keep the engine (and supercharger) cool. The others are for the Air Conditioning, Rear Differential, and the Transmission which usually don't matter much in the heat soak conversation.

The engine should stay cool due to the increased airflow and large primary radiator and secondary side cooler.

The primary heat exchanger for the supercharger is rather small. The supercharger coolant also flows through one of the side coolers which is also pretty small. The two heat exchangers inside the supercharger are tiny. The entire intercooler system only holds 4.5 quarts which doesn't take long to heat soak.

I know for a fact the intercooler system heat soaks bad at the drag strip mainly because there's no way to keep the intercooler coolant pump and fans running while the engine is off. What happens is the coolant soaks and the IAT2s spike to 140+ which causes a large amount of timing to be pulled. I was at the strip on June 3rd and was making passes with about 20 min with the hood up between each run. It was heat soaking so bad I lost almost a second off of my 1/4 mile time. From my experience it takes about 10-15 minutes of easy driving or about 2 hours of sitting with the engine off to get the temps back down.

On the track, I suspect the airflow should help keep temps within reason, but it doesn't have to heat up much before significant timing gets pulled. My prediction is the ZL1 will still heat soak on the track, but probably not quite as bad as the Z06.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #6
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
so, I have roughly 60hrs of track time in mine and have experienced little to no heat soak in mine so far. I have not reached the hottest part of the summer yet but I can tell you that several 2-4 hour sessions have resulted in very consistent times for me.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #7
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
I have had mine to 4 events -

Most recently - Monday - at Mid-Ohio.

No issue -

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
so, I have roughly 60hrs of track time in mine and have experienced little to no heat soak in mine so far. I have not reached the hottest part of the summer yet but I can tell you that several 2-4 hour sessions have resulted in very consistent times for me.
That's good to hear. The Camaro Fest NCM track day should give us some good data too. It'll be mid July with several ZL1s out on the track. If there's a problem, we should all know then.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
I did a full track day (85-90 degrees) and an autocross day (80+ degrees) so far with absolutely no issues whatsoever.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
mig7410

Great to hear, I may order the ZL1-1LE. Thanks
Old 06-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #11
Diggitydog

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Nightfall Convertible M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
That's good to hear. The Camaro Fest NCM track day should give us some good data too. It'll be mid July with several ZL1s out on the track. If there's a problem, we should all know then.
You make this statement like there isn't enough data to determine if the ZL1 heat soaks. Your post a couple above is literally the first time indicated and it sounded pretty intense. Virtually everyone is trying to heat soak the ZL1 to say yeah, told you it would! Maybe there's something wrong with yours if it's the only one doing it.
Diggitydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #12
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Have not heard a single heat issue here or in any car magazine reviews yet...there is a driver's car shootout going on with the ZL1 1LE and have not heard anything negative...only positives about the cooling. All of the ZL1s have the same powerplant...so yay
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #13
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggitydog View Post
You make this statement like there isn't enough data to determine if the ZL1 heat soaks. Your post a couple above is literally the first time indicated and it sounded pretty intense. Virtually everyone is trying to heat soak the ZL1 to say yeah, told you it would! Maybe there's something wrong with yours if it's the only one doing it.
Well we haven't been through the first summer with these cars yet, so you're right, I'm still a little skeptical. At the end of the summer, we'll certainly know more than we know now.

Many people seem to be happy with the track performance so far which is promising, but I believe that some hardcore track rats will probably still see some amount of heat soak with these cars. I could be wrong. It's just an educated guess.

To give you some background on my experience. I spent last summer installing and tuning a '16 SS with an LT4 which had the exact same engine/supercharger cooling setup as the ZL1 minus the front fascia. I drove around on a couple 100 degree days with a laptop and HP tuners logging. When the car stops, the intake air temps climb pretty quick. If you power the car off, and start it back in 15 minutes or so... holy crap. The IAT2 temps would be through the roof for about the next 10-15 minutes of driving. There would be about 4.5 to 5 degrees of timing difference during that time. Given how long it takes for the temps to come down, I feel like the potential is there for noticeable heat soak on the track.

I certainly don't care about being the first to find a problem or anything like that, and I don't think there is anything wrong with my car. The drag strip experience I noted is a very different use-case than a road course track. Once the newness wears off and more people begin to take their cars to the strip, I think we'll all see more documentation of similar experiences. To be clear, all I'm saying is ETs will increase in the summer when there's not much cool down time between runs... that's not a groundbreaking claim or anything.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #14
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Of the 11 heat exchangers, I believe 6 function to keep the engine (and supercharger) cool. The others are for the Air Conditioning, Rear Differential, and the Transmission which usually don't matter much in the heat soak conversation.

The engine should stay cool due to the increased airflow and large primary radiator and secondary side cooler.

The primary heat exchanger for the supercharger is rather small. The supercharger coolant also flows through one of the side coolers which is also pretty small. The two heat exchangers inside the supercharger are tiny. The entire intercooler system only holds 4.5 quarts which doesn't take long to heat soak.

I know for a fact the intercooler system heat soaks bad at the drag strip mainly because there's no way to keep the intercooler coolant pump and fans running while the engine is off. What happens is the coolant soaks and the IAT2s spike to 140+ which causes a large amount of timing to be pulled. I was at the strip on June 3rd and was making passes with about 20 min with the hood up between each run. It was heat soaking so bad I lost almost a second off of my 1/4 mile time. From my experience it takes about 10-15 minutes of easy driving or about 2 hours of sitting with the engine off to get the temps back down.

On the track, I suspect the airflow should help keep temps within reason, but it doesn't have to heat up much before significant timing gets pulled. My prediction is the ZL1 will still heat soak on the track, but probably not quite as bad as the Z06.
Heat soaking at the drags is different than the track in that it happens while you're parked with everything off and the heat radiates up.

On my gen5 ZL1, I installed a Lingenfelter HX with separate fans and switch that also ran the pump with everything off. It had a timer that (IIRC) ran everything up to four minutes but you could just hit it again.

I guess it won't heat soak at the track. Massive air flow and the pump is circulating.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 06-14-2017 at 03:26 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote