Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Steeda vs. BMR Lawsuit

Of course this doesn't pertain to our cars or the products we buy, but I have always supported BMR, and here's hoping this doesn't affect any of us in the long run. but I figured it could spark a decent conversation here.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3733...-BMR-Complaint
2010 Camaro 2SS-Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, catless NPP, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black. SOLD

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS-Mods: Edlebrock E Force S/C w/ 3" pulley swap,Texas Speed roller Boost Cam 227/235, 641"/649", 114 LSA, PRC Ported Heads, Ported TB,ARH 1 7/8 headers, McLeod RST twin disk 1000 hp clutch, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 620whp

Last edited by LETHAL2SS; 05-10-2018 at 02:36 PM.
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
That's ridiculous I have quite a few Steeda accessories for my Mustang and their parts are decent .but I find them just being childish to try to do a lawsuit because of similar products to do the same things .must be hurting if they're offended by any competition.or greedy ..best of luck to BMR
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
How differently cold you design a subframe bushing kit before it is non-functional as to what it is designed to do? Isn't pretty much any functional design going to be similar to Steeda's?

I must be missing something.

Let's hope that Brembo doesn't start to sue every aftermarket brake pad and part manufacturer for making parts compatible with their braking systems. Maybe a bit different as brake pads are consumable parts, but as an example, it works.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
mrr23

Drives: 2014 SS
so long as there is at least a 10% change of design, BMR is in the clear.
Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge
mrr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
Kajun

Drives: 2013 1SS L99
Check out the Monster Cable vs Blue Jeans Cables lawsuit. Monster Cable picked on the wrong guy. Hope this will have the same outcome.
2013 1SS/RS L99-GPI VVT SS1 - TSP 1 7/8 headers with Borla Touring exhaust - ESS Tuning YSI V7 - Fore Innovations Dual pump fuel system - 1" BMR lowering springs - BMR toe rods and trailing arms - Prothane rear cradle bushings - Yank 3400 Stall -
Kajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
Grey2ss

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
Put like 20 stickers on it. That will cover the 10%
Grey2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
cbell

Drives: '14 RRM 2SS/RS,GMC Syclone, LPE T/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
I don't know where people always come up with this 10% thing??? I own several US Patents and have had to enforce 1 of them which I won. Its not about a 10% change, you cannot duplicate any of the features which are spelled out and protected by the patent. Your patent is only as good as your patent attorney. Wording of the patent/features you are asking for protection on is critical.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #8
tj@LSRPerformance

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Steeda has the right to protect their intellectual properties ... hence the reason people file patents to protect themselves.

Best Regards,

TJ
tj@LSRPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
BMR has been around and used by many of us here, and I don't see BMR trying to sue other makers of aftermarket suspension made very similar, and this reeks of butt hurt or someone listened to a Lawyer.........as in

What do you call a hundred lawyers buried up their necks in concrete........

Of course; Not enough concrete..... Breakin Bad.... lol; had that joke on it.....

And I have been on here a long time.. this being the first I heard the Steeda name on here..... and heard many makers of suspension on here, heck one went out of business and was reborn....PFADT, BMR, ETC ETC do make very similar products its a fact of life for comparison there is not "great" hidden knowledge involved in the evolution of aftermarket suspension but rather more over good places actually testing and developing things over time and that's usually the larger places not smaller places who cant afford but to look at whats out there and simply whip one up and know its better because of stronger steel and poly bushings etc.... And often trying to eliminate something which common by including it in a patent is thrown out also in patent infringement cases............One has to show ........ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_infringement....they are for one country only, expire and can be crucial or can be stupid compared to the investment to even get one before the marketing .... its a big mess......talk is cheap and no you cant make one just as any other can because you use blank like ours......yes well and so the ten other places making about the same exact thing did what to not be sued by you? and they did not patent it even though already developed and marketed long ago.....

Imagine the rights to the circle long ago..it became the wheel, it made things roll, it moved massive things for say the pyramids......and as known was all over the world the tech to make things roll.... and other uses for its shape...... Imagine now seeking the patent to the circle suddenly...see what I mean things are never as easy as thought of, did the circle or the wheel come first? or say a log rolling sideways down a hill...... its all MEH..... BLAH BLAH BLAH your differential lock out bushing looks like ours...you are not smart enough and had to copy ours...Blah....

Last edited by christianchevell; 05-12-2018 at 09:06 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #10
tj@LSRPerformance

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Thank you for your feedback & insight.

TJ
tj@LSRPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #11
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajun View Post
Check out the Monster Cable vs Blue Jeans Cables lawsuit. Monster Cable picked on the wrong guy. Hope this will have the same outcome.
I did not know this so I Googled it. I am a big fan of Blue Jeans Cable.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #12
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
Steeda has zero chance in this lawsuit
ZL1 10 spokes,Dart 388,ECS Supercharger 2200x, E85 Flex Fuel sensor, Dart 388 , B&M Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 4000 Triple Disc TC,Katech Ported Heads, Texas Speed Sheet Metal Intake, ECS Big Blower Cam,ID 1700s, Fore Triple Pumps, E85,ATI Super Dampner, KW V3 Coilovers, Pfadt front and rear sway bars,Pfadt Trailing arms and toe rods,ZL1 Rear Diff, RPM 6l90e level 10 Tranny, SW Long Tubes no cats,Nick Williams Boosted 102mm TB, Dr Phil Tune,Borla Atak
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #13
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
From the link to the filed lawsuit:
The design of Steeda’s bushing kits is nonfunctional and the design’s
inherently distinctive quality is unique and has achieved a high degree of consumer recognition and serves to identify Steeda as the source of high quality goods.

Oh that's good to know, it's just a non-functional design

Lot's of generic template legal jargon there but I don't see what part of the patent is infringed on. I guess they'll set that out during the trial. I don't care to study up on mustang parts now to try to figure out how these parts are different than OEM or how their "design" isn't something generic.
I think intellectual property has value but can't determine what's what in this info.
If they "improved" on an OEM part are they not also copying an OEM design with their compromises e.g. firmness or cost, and claiming it is their own design?
Meh.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote