Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
ProCharger P1X boost leak?

Finally finished up the install and tuning. ProCharger said they pulleyed the head unit for 9 lbs at 6500 rpm. I'm only seeing 6.5 at 6500. My vendor asked that I check for belt slip and/or a boost leak. Not seeing any dust that would indicate belt slip so we plugged the blower inlet and outlet at the throttle body and hooked up a smoke machine. We did see smoke coming from where the gear case and compressor bolt together. My vendor is not sure, but thinks it might be normal but is going to forward the video's to ProCharger anyway.
Here is the links to the video's. Normal or a boost leak? I say a leak.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
Finally finished up the install and tuning. ProCharger said they pulleyed the head unit for 9 lbs at 6500 rpm. I'm only seeing 6.5 at 6500. My vendor asked that I check for belt slip and/or a boost leak. Not seeing any dust that would indicate belt slip so we plugged the blower inlet and outlet at the throttle body and hooked up a smoke machine. We did see smoke coming from where the gear case and compressor bolt together. My vendor is not sure, but thinks it might be normal but is going to forward the video's to ProCharger anyway.
Here is the links to the video's. Normal or a boost leak? I say a leak.

What pulley?

You have a pretty big cam so that could be why you have low boost.

Let us know what Procharger says.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
How would they know how much boost it would make with that cam?

No one would know for sure.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
SSMickey

So Procharger said the smoke leak is normal. Not sure I agree but there sending out another pulley to hopefully get the boost level to what I initially asked for. I'll post back when I get it installed and make a few pulls.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #5
atomicfusion

Drives: 07 Z06 11 L99 SS 16 c7 16 1SS
I have talked to ProCharger before about the leak at the compressor housing. It IS normal on all of their blowers. There no O-ring there.
atomicfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
SSMickey

Sorry it took so long. I honestly forgot about this post. Procharger sent out a smaller pulley and got the boost to 9-9.5 as I initially requested. Big shout out to Bob at Brute Speed for assisting in this matter.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Good to hear all is now well. What size Pulley did you have to put on to get to what you wanted?

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
SSMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
Good to hear all is now well. What size Pulley did you have to put on to get to what you wanted?
3.75, but my cam has a lot of overlap and bleeds boost. Not really a boost friendly cam. I just put it in the first of the year then decided to go FI and didn't feel like pulling it out.