Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #57
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
Single males are assumed to drive "differently" than married males with children. Under 25 year old single males, forget about it.

When I was your age, my car payment and insurance were almost the same on a Dodge Daytona, hardly a Camaro.

When you get older (25), the rates come down.

Even still, as I keep reading in this forum, rates are widely varied.

If you prefer lower deductibles and think higher coverages are wise and live in a big city, like I do, you pay more than someone going with the minimums, living in a rural small town.

Skimp on your coverages and have an accident with a Ferrari or Lambo (possible here in Dallas) and see what happens.

Maybe, I'm paranoid. I also have Aflac in case I blow out a knee playing hoops on the weekend.
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #58
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBlack View Post
Single males are assumed to drive "differently" than married males with children. Under 25 year old single males, forget about it.

When I was your age, my car payment and insurance were almost the same on a Dodge Daytona, hardly a Camaro.

When you get older (25), the rates come down.

Even still, as I keep reading in this forum, rates are widely varied.

If you prefer lower deductibles and think higher coverages are wise and live in a big city, like I do, you pay more than someone going with the minimums, living in a rural small town.

Skimp on your coverages and have an accident with a Ferrari or Lambo (possible here in Dallas) and see what happens.

Maybe, I'm paranoid. I also have Aflac in case I blow out a knee playing hoops on the weekend.
Yea I am hoping that things chance a bit when I am 25. That quote I got would be what I would be at now if I got off the old mans insurance.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #59
aron77

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
My guess is that just means that you are not in their target demographic as different companies target different demographics for their niche. So they are taking you while you are on your dad's policy but they don't want you on your own but someone else who is less risk adverse will take you for a more reasonable rate. Just keep your record clean in the mean time.
Mods to date: Black ice-olator, Vmax ported throttle body, doug thorley cat back exhaust, cold air inductions intake, rx catch can, vn 805 18" rims, tinted windows-20% in back and 35% in front, SS front bumper,RK sport spoiler painted gloss black, hood spears, gill inserts, trunk blackout, and bowtie blackouts with autobot. Wish list: GM cup and footwell lighting, t2 or t3 bumper (f that price), fender dashes, and...
aron77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #60
Stinkpickle

Drives: Black 2LT/RS
Wow by the looks of it I lucked out pretty good. I pay about $320 every 6mo w/ $500 deductible. Just my car and renter's @ 23 years old.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #61
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
I live in Louisiana. Insurance here is higher than a lot of places. I'm paying Like $884 or $984 per 6 months with Shelter Insurance, full coverage on my 1LT. I can't remember which price she told me, just got the car Saturday. My 2005 Silverado was more than that $1018 per 6 for full coverage. Go figure. I'm 23 and have one speeding ticket, no accidents.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #62
B-Prime

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS
Obviously, you should stay on the old man's policy for a few more years lol. But when the day comes for you to finally get off the "tit of life" you should get a quote from the insurance company that your dad has his policy with.

My case; I am a 24 yr old male with one at-fault (minor fender-bender) accident, one not-at-fault (totaled my previous truck) accident, and no speeding tickets. I have been insured with USAA since I got my license at 16 yrs old. I too was living off the "tit of life" while still being listed under my parents' policy. When my truck was totaled I decided that was a good time for me to go ahead and get my own policy. I KNEW it was going to be expensive to insure my '11 SS, but I was determined to make it happen either way. And boy, did I luck out. My policy started off at somewhere around $2500 range for JUST 6 months, but thanks to my "good history" and a number of other discounts with USAA I ended up getting a 6 month policy for about $650. And yes, that is full coverage with a $250 deductible.

In a nutshell, IF you have been with one insurance company for a number of years make sure to check with that company when you decide to branch off on your own. They could offer you a significant amount of savings through relationship discounts.

And sorry for the long-winded reply lol.
B-Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #63
Thyshallsmite

Drives: 2011 Grand sport c6 corvette
90$ with gieco i'm 26 found them to be the cheapest even more so than those really ghetto insurance places
Thyshallsmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #64
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Prime View Post
Obviously, you should stay on the old man's policy for a few more years lol. But when the day comes for you to finally get off the "tit of life" you should get a quote from the insurance company that your dad has his policy with.

My case; I am a 24 yr old male with one at-fault (minor fender-bender) accident, one not-at-fault (totaled my previous truck) accident, and no speeding tickets. I have been insured with USAA since I got my license at 16 yrs old. I too was living off the "tit of life" while still being listed under my parents' policy. When my truck was totaled I decided that was a good time for me to go ahead and get my own policy. I KNEW it was going to be expensive to insure my '11 SS, but I was determined to make it happen either way. And boy, did I luck out. My policy started off at somewhere around $2500 range for JUST 6 months, but thanks to my "good history" and a number of other discounts with USAA I ended up getting a 6 month policy for about $650. And yes, that is full coverage with a $250 deductible.

In a nutshell, IF you have been with one insurance company for a number of years make sure to check with that company when you decide to branch off on your own. They could offer you a significant amount of savings through relationship discounts.

And sorry for the long-winded reply lol.
I read it all lol. Yeah I assume I can probably get off and stay with this company with the same agent and things work out to be a lot cheaper. I will worry about that in a couple years lol
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #65
Motopsycho_dude

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Idk but I paid $320 a month for a $14,000 crotch rocket. Bike payment was only $280 a month. Crazy.. I paid that thing off ASAP. My Camaro is $160 a month, age 32, divorced, with one ticket. What's not fair is state farm dropped me cause somebody stole the first bike. So had to go with a higher company the next time around.. Also one speeding ticket and your rate will probably go up $100 or more a month. Oh and don't forget GAP insurance. If something happens to your car they only give you the value and not what your loan is worth. Trust me you never want to deal with an insurance company..
Motopsycho_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #66
Motopsycho_dude

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Oh Yeah if your military or lucky enough to get USAA. Get it. My sister has it and has nothing but good things to say about them. State farm has good rates but if you get 2 tickets, claims, etc on your record they drop you.
Motopsycho_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #67
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkpickle View Post
Wow by the looks of it I lucked out pretty good. I pay about $320 every 6mo w/ $500 deductible. Just my car and renter's @ 23 years old.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
it's not necessarily luck . if you started driving when you were 16 then the insurance compaines have 7 years of driving history on you. if it's good they don't mind giving lower rates. people get too hung up on 25. if keep a clean record it won't take that long. or looking at the other side of it, you get in an accident when your 23 or 24..............it ain't going down much when you turn 25.

insurance is like credit, it's all about managing and putting a dollar amount on risk.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #68
dshep214

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
Check with gieco. I pay 132 a month have 1 non fault accident and I'm 24. Had my own since I was 22

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?scg0w3
Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #69
LewiSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/White Stripe
Your insurance can change when you are 25, as it will in my case. You cannot insure a vehicle as a casual or weekend driver until you are 25, so my rate will drop once I am able to switch.
ARH 1-7/8" Longtubes w/cats, Borla ATAK catback, CAI Inc intake, RX inferno orange ported throttle body, RX inferno orange catch can, Hurst Shifter, JDP Motorsports heater hoses and fuel line, PFadt strut tower brace, PFadt lowering springs, PFadt Tie Rods, PFadt Trailing Arms, PFadt end links, Custom Painted interior pieces.
LewiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #70
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
I hate to be the bearer of bad news to us SS or ZL1 owners or potential owners but, I have a friend who works in the insurance industry using national highway data to help insurance companies predict rates for car insurance. He called me the other day, knowing that I have a Camaro, and informed me that based on 2010 and 2011 statistics the Camaro SS has recorded a higher number of incidents then the estimate first used to set rates without having real empirical data. Based on this info hitting the 2012/2013 rate sheets it looks like we can expect to pay even more for insurance in the future. Now, that does not mean to suggest that the Camaro is higher or is going to be higher than other American muscle cars since most are in same category.
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote