Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Out4it
Banned

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Camaro AC problem

Decided to repost in General forum instead of Vert. Hopefully I can get some insight before I go off on someone.....

Had mine reprogrammed about 2 weeks ago, everything was fine. Until,this weekend. Back to blowing semi-cold on passenger side and warm on driver. Temps in 90's all week! Called dealer,soonest they can get me in would be Friday. Called every other dealer within a 70 mile radius,still can't get anything earlier than Friday. This is a big inconvienence for me as I sweat my butt off everythime I'm in car with these temps. Chevy should somehow take people with this problem and give some type of priority. I think I should get some sort of compensation for this,afterall, this is the second time! Really frustrated,maybe some free oil changes or something else may sooth the iratation I feel right now.
Out4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Out4it
Banned

ok update. Called GM customer care. told them to please find me a sooner appt from another dealer up to 60 miles away. They said I should keep original appt. because soonest anyone else had was the 20th! But gentleman said he'd push the issue up the chain and see what happens. Well,at 8:20 yesterday morning I get a call from dealership to bring car in asap. Did so. Now get a call from dealer today saying there was no freon in it. He put new freon with dye to spot leak. Says he can't find any leak. Wanted to know if I want to pick up car and bring back when it goes warm again. I said,NO! You have the car ,fix it. Also forgot,when I put ac on before,mileage on DIC would go from 19's to 11!! Somethings not right. Good thing in Pa. if I bring car in for same problem and its not fixed....Lemon Law. Don't want to go that route since I'm attached to my car,just want and wish it gets fixed. Anyone know what could be wrong? Compressor? Dealer said it was now blowing cold air,but doesn't know for how long. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Old 07-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Out4it
Banned

Another update. Got a call last night from GM. Told me dealership can't find leak. But the dealership wants to keep my car for at least a week and they're pretty sure in that time they can find it. A WEEK!! to find an AC leak? Doesn't seem right....or does it? I'm getting pissed because I want my baby back. Sick of driving the Cruze loaner. Nice car but no Balls!!

I know GM service is on these boards,does this seem right? Oh,and GM Customer care lady told me,"what am I getting upset about? You have a loaner" Well I answered,"because I paid 33 Grand CASH for my car and want to drive it! And don't act like you're doing me a favor with the loaner,isn't that part of the warranty?" Never got an answer to that. She just went on to say she will contact dealership on Monday to see whats up. Now I'm curious to what the "compensation" will be after all of this.

If the dealership can't find anything,why wouldn't GM send out an engineer to help find it? Seems like they are wasting time and dragging their feet.....
Old 07-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Out4it
Banned

OK. So today the tech calls me. He says to come get the car. Explains he put in dye manually but can't find any leaks. He said to drive it and see what happens. He said hopefully the higher rpms instead of letting it idle at shop hopefully would show where leak was. So I'm supposed to drive it,when it blows warm just drive it back to shop. My question is,what happens if you still can't find leak? His response..."I don't know."
Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
My AC problem was a cracked AC condenser which made it lose freon over time. The put it on a leak test and found it within 30 minutes. If it is really small they might have to use a sniffer like house AC techs use to find out where it is leaking from. Tell them that.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Out4it
Banned

Will do,I'll call on Monday.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Out4it
Banned

Well after going to the dealership I bought it from they said there was nothing wrong. Although they said it lost coolant twice! Nothing wrong? So took it to another dealership and guess what? Cracked AC condenser!! Ordering it today and will have installed on Wed. Thanks GearHeadPeter!! Any idea how long to install it?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
CrazyDan

Drives: 2011 SS
OK I have the same issue 2 times it got warm on myside but stayed cold on the passenger. The first time they said they replaced a seal. The second time which was this monday they said it was low on freon and they couldnt find a leak but put dye in it to see if they could find it. Ac belt was also replaced for slipping under power. 2011 1ss
CrazyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
carolina vert

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Convertible
When they replaced my compressor, I dropped it off at 8 and picked it up at noon.
carolina vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Out4it
Banned

Ok. They replaced my condenser yesterday. AC seemed fine. Today is a different story. Blows warm until about 25mph then cold. WTF??? Idling its warm. Have to take it back yet again. This is getting old. My car has been in the shop 10 days total on and off. And I've only owned it since June 21st!!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
at this point, it would be wise for the dealership to replace everything associated with the A/C system.

Oddball question I'll throw out there... are you running an Underdrive Pulley/Harmonic Balancer?
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Ah you gotta love these skilled technicians.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
I hope it all works out. It's such a drag that issues like these persist.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
cmb74656

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
Sounds like a bad blend door motor to me. They're vacuum-actuated doors in the duct work that routes the airflow inside the HVAC system. Probably the one nearest the heater core.

I have a similar problem with one of the Silverado delivery trucks where I work. The only thing that fixes it is stopping and restarting the engine. (I don't have the time to tear the dash apart to find it, nor can I afford to have the truck out of service long enough to do so.)

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
cmb74656 is offline   Reply With Quote