Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Vintage-Iron
Banned

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS/RS
Questions about raising my SS for oil change

All that I have is a floor jack but I can buy a 2nd one but I am wondering is there anywhere underneath the front of my SS that I can jack up my car when I am ready to change my oil? Or do I need to buy another jack and raise the car from both sides?....

I seriously dont want a dealer touching my car and ive always changed my oil and filter.
Vintage-Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Don't buy another floor jack. Buy a set of jack stands. You never want to work on a car while it's supported by a jack. You can raise one side, set it on the jack stand, raise the other side, set it on the stand.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Vintage-Iron
Banned

so you dont think 2 jacks is stable enough?

1 has always worked for me....lol
Old 05-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
About a year and a half ago I had a floor jack collapse on me. Luckily I put wood underneath the tires. But yea, since then I always put the car on jack stands. It's not worth the risk personally.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
sene

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage-Iron View Post
so you dont think 2 jacks is stable enough?

1 has always worked for me....lol
No. If it didn't you wouldn't be alive to post about it.
sene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Vintage-Iron
Banned

Where do I put the jack stands once its jacked up? or what about those car ramps?, Ive seen those at wally world for $45...
Old 05-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
I hate dealing jacks. I always use ramps if possible.

Don't buy the cheap wally world ramps, they are crap. You'll see what I mean if you do buy them.

Personally I prefer Race Ramps. The are expansive but ssssoooo worth it. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=race+ramps Personally I prefer the two piece ramps because of storage space and because you can take the back part off and crawl underneath the sides which you can't do with any other ramps.

Regardless of if you choose to use jacks or ramps, I recommend you buy a set of 4 wheel chocks as well. Put one behind each wheel when on ramps or one behind and in front of each rear wheel if using jacks. Avoid the hard plastic ones, they tend to slide and not actually stop the tire. The good ones are either made out of thick rubber or have a metal bar that extends out and under the tire to prevent it from sliding.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Vintage-Iron
Banned

I found some good metal ones on craigslist for $30, Im gonna call him in the morning.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
usnatclee

Drives: '12 2SS/RS, '13 Vette, '13 Wrangler
I would go with metal ramps and then once it is on there put something heavy (blocks of wood, cinder block etc.) behind your back tires. In my opinion that is your best bet.
2012 Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS "Timberwolf". Custom exhaust, RX oil catch can and oil breather, CAI inc intake, SLP 160* thermostat, TSP 2" LT headers w/ off road pipes, custom cam, tuned. 467rwhp 450rwtq.

2013 Corvette Torch Red LS3. 378rwhp/375rwtq SAE corrected, tuned.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!
usnatclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
I used four 2x6's. Set two against both front tires and drove onto them, set the next pair on top of the first two and against the front tires, drove on top of them.
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
SB09

Drives: 2012 SS/RS M6 AGM
All I use is a jack and a set of metal car ramps. Raise side of car, slide the ramps under the wheel. Repeat on other side. Works like a charm.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
I use wood 2x8's cut to 1 1/2 to 2 ft lengths. Put 1 in front of each wheel. Drive up on them. This will give you enough clearance to roll your floor jack under the vehicle. Jack the front of the vehicle up. Place a jack stand under the vehicle for safety. Remove drain plug and filter. Remove jack stand and lower floor jack so that the car now sets level and let the oil drain. While waiting for the oil to drain, check your other fluids. If you have a manual, syphon out as brake fluid that you can and replace with fresh fluid. Then repeat the jacking/stands process, install drain plug (possibly replace with magnetic drain plug), fill filter with oil and install.
Edit: Floor jack can be placed (centered) on the cradle/crossmembers under the engine. I use the 2nd one from the front of the car. Also, I use a 3/4" piece of wood or a piece of conveyor belt on the jacking surface and a piece of rubber on the jack stand.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock

Last edited by Badbubba; 06-01-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Floor jack placement
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #13
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
A habit of mine is that if I'm ever doing anything that requires the wheel to come off, I actually slide the entire wheel under the side of the car. So if anything were to ever happen, I will still have my life.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote