Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #1
Matt8892(2)

Drives: Black camaro 2ss 45th
Small puff of white smoke upon hard acceleration

As the title states. I had my fiancé following me this morning as we picked her car up from getting serviced and we were on the phone. I got on the car and as soon as I did that she said she saw a brief white puff of smoke from the exhaust as soon as I got on the car. Did it s few more times from the start of a third gear pull at highway speeds to see if it did it more than once which she said it did.

Any ideas why the car would do this? 60k miles. Has headers and dyno tune.

Gunna have heads and cam done within a couple thousand miles anyways, so I figure I’ll have the bottom end of motor looked at at that time anyways.

Just curious what you guys think.
Matt8892(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
If it is cold at all it could just be water vapor.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by RankSS View Post
If it is cold at all it could just be water vapor.
Agree, once the weather turns cold, it happens with all my vehicles, especially in the mornings.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Way back in the 60’s my uncle used to use the phrase, ‘blow the smoke out of ‘er’ when he’d get on it. In addition to your motor being an air pump, it’s also a fossil fuel burnin’ machine too. When you light off those 8 boilers with lots of air and fuel, SOMETHING has to exit out the back. Think Newton...opposite and equal reaction. That’s my 2 cents.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
Matt8892(2)

Drives: Black camaro 2ss 45th
Hmm ok guys. I’m not to worried. More curious I guess. If it matters engine and oil was all up to temp. I never get on the car until it’s up to temp. But it was cool today regardless
Matt8892(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #6
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
The same uncle also used to say this about leaking oil, ‘worry when it stops.’ Just saying...
Old 10-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yup water condenses in the exhaust just like it can right through the glass with the coke bottle effect..... Why in the winter you can drive behind people and watch water pour form the mufflers and exhaust tips. Other than that white smoke denotes a lean condition; or more likely water in the fuel, or a blown head gasket putting water in the combustion chamber which would not just go away when not getting on it..... But you may want to check and see when its built more your not too lean when going WOT...
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote