Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #57
Bocephus

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT, Kona, BBP, 3.73
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Just curious as to what you're basing your conclusion on when you say "for some reason" the LS3 is a "1 or 2 day/week "toy"?

You gotta know that the LSx motors are rock solid and a great example of American engineering. The engine has only 2 enemies - water and mechanical over-revving.
My friend is the original owner of his '98 T/A that he has used from day 1 as his daily driver - winter and summer (He lives in Ottawa, Canada). The car has over 325,000 km. on the clock (203,000+ mi) and the engine (completely stock) has never been cracked open! The car has seen its share of autoX events and track days...
Routine maintenance according to the book, coupled with not abusing these engines (i.e. flooring the gas pedal when the engine is cold!) adds up to solid dependability and long engine life.

As well, it appears that when the new Ford 5.0 V8 engine finds its way into the Mustang for the 2010 MY, it will be making somewhere between 325 and 350 HP - not 400 HP as you suggest.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/next-gen...t-engines.html
Even if it does make 350 HP, there is perhaps a 1 HP/liter difference in output between the LS3 (depending on which version you compare) and the new Ford engine(with 3 valves/cylinder vs. the LS3's 2 valve engine?).
The question is, will Ford be able to match the 6.2 L engine's fuel economy with their 5.0 L engine?
... and who knows what the LS3 might be rated at by the time Ford's new engine hits the streets?

Best regardSS,

Elie
That article is a year old. Here's a newer one:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2011-for...re-50l-v8.html

The power for the new 5.0 will be 400/400.
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #58
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
All that article says is upwards of 400. Nowhere does it state, yes it has 400 anything. Till Ford puts it in print its still just speculation.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #59
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Sure, Honda can make a NA 2.0L making relatively high peak HP ratings, but until you get it somewhere over 1,000,000 RPM it doesn't do anything. Small, NA engines designed for high peak HP are generally pretty gutless unless they're really strung out. Torque and power curves matter just as much when talking about performance. I personally also like the idea of more power out of less displacement. I think something in the 5.0-5.7L range making 400+hp and decent torque would be nice. I'd certainly be willing to allow some peakiness if the engine was rev happy enough. I'm just trying to say here that GM doesn't need 6.2L to make that output, but the large displacement does have torque and power curve advantages. Pros and Cons. Variety is the spice of life. /cliches.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #60
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i seriously annoyed with this thread.

the LSx series motors are quite literally the best v8's known to man, you know why the ford motors make power on less Cubic Inches is because they uses a less efficient tune. the Hemi and the 4.6 l fotf both require 4 catalytic converters to become emissions legal while the ls motors only need 2 (1 for each bank)
more HP, More Torque, Excellent Reliability, easy to repair, not overly complicated all these add up to make it the best v8 ever

4.6's havent had 4 cats for a quite a while, my 01gt and 03 cobra both had only 2 cats.
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #61
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSforme View Post
Troll check -

1. Comes on Chevy board talking about how great a ford is

2. Talks about owning many cars, but is obviously under 25

3. Knows what JDM is...and uses it often (can we say ricer?)

4. Claims to want "information" but argues when you give it to him

5. Talks about how a high rev low torque engine is somehow superior to anything else (see the comment in number 3)

:troll:
I happen to agree with you, but let me play the Devil's advocate.

1. I respect the shit out of Termis. I've seen quite a few of them rock some GM faces. I would never buy one, but I know exactly how fast they can get for cheap. To blow off cars just because they come from a competing brand is ignorant. See more below.

2. Ummm.....I'm not willing to give that much information about myself.

3. I, and all of my GM thumping friends, know what JDM is and use it on a regular basis. Ignorance borne of prejudice is just dumb, especially when it comes to some damned good cars. How many car people don't know what JDM is? That's just dumb.

4. There are a lot of Camaro fans here that do just the same thing because it just doesn't match up with what they WANT from the car. Por ejemplo..

"How fast do you think the SS going to be?"
"Low 13s, high 12s if you're Ranger."
"NO WAY DUDE! IT'S GONNA RUN 12.5s!"

5. DZ302?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #62
MrKrisSullivan
New 2 The "DARK-SIDE"

Drives: 2003 Ram HEMI 4x4 Slt 20in
All I can say is WOW!!!... What a bunch of Haters... Some legit questions and some legit answers... Ohh and also a whole lot of B.S.
If you fellas haven't heard of the 5.0 Coyote engine from ford for 2011 putting out 400hp then you need to get out a lil more... Ohh then that means you haven't heard about the Turbo Ford is strapping on one their 4 or V6 engines and it also puts out 400hp with a helluva increase in gas mileage.... Wake up!!!... This from a Hemi fan...
MrKrisSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #63
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
I don't see why everyone had to flip and tear this guy a new one. He was asking legit questions, albeit not worded perfectly. I'm glad there were good answers in this thread, at least.
Okay before I just skim thru the thread, But I finally had the patience to read the whole thread and I'M PISSED

To the ANTI-TROLLERS you guys are ****ing assholes

All the guy asked was "how is the reliability of the LS3/LS engines, "How does the new 5.0 Coyote engine achieve 400 horse with 5 liters over the 6 liter LS3" and he compares honda NA engines a bit, and you guys chew him a new ass..........FOR WHAT

MAYBE HE DRIVES HONDA'S FOR A LIVING "DICKHEADS" AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT AMERICAN V8'S

Camaro forum or not... You chevy/GM people are obnoxious, rude, ignorant and have a very immature superiority complex that assa-nhing, If I was 1982camaro I would of said **** you guys I'm getting something else and GM would have lost a sell

Mods, sorry for the vent I'll take full responsibility for what I said, and issue me my warning or temporary ban and get it over with.......spare me the boring lecture and, All due respect DGthe3 should of said something about the ignorant post

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:32 AM   #64
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrisSullivan View Post
All I can say is WOW!!!... What a bunch of Haters... Some legit questions and some legit answers... Ohh and also a whole lot of B.S.
If you fellas haven't heard of the 5.0 Coyote engine from ford for 2011 putting out 400hp then you need to get out a lil more... Ohh then that means you haven't heard about the Turbo Ford is strapping on one their 4 or V6 engines and it also puts out 400hp with a helluva increase in gas mileage.... Wake up!!!... This from a Hemi fan...
last i checked, they're still using a steel block, even in the wonderful gt500...

call us when it actually happens some time around 2011, if at all; then we'll wake up.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:48 AM   #65
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Several people had attempted to make this point I think but only in a round about way. The ultimate truth is in the cruve. Look at the Hp and Tq curves for each of the engines. The LSX engines have flatter curves and offer greater power throughout the RPM range than any other engine on the market. You canot compare peak numbers because they are meaningless unless your running a CVT or something to operate at only one design point.

An engine will operate all over it's curve during it's lifetime not just as peak. you'll find that LSX engines have more available power more of the time than anything else out there. This makes them pleasant daily drivers and allows them great mpg. I would rather have a 300hp engine that makes 300hp for 80% of it's rpm range than a 400hp engine that only makes above 300hp for 25% of it's rpm range. Thats why comparing a Ford motor or a honda motor to an LS motor is idiotic at best.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #66
Bocephus

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT, Kona, BBP, 3.73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
last i checked, they're still using a steel block, even in the wonderful gt500...

call us when it actually happens some time around 2011, if at all; then we'll wake up.
It's going to be aluminum just like the current 4.6. The GT500 5.4 and the 4.0 V6 use cast iron block. The new 3.5 V6 will use aluminum blocks also.
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #67
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
what a worthless thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsdguru View Post
31000 for ss1 no options and who in the hell would buy a SS1 V6 for kids SS1 for girls LS3 the only way to go G8 Gxp 200lbs more my bad so lets think here 200lb more 27 less hp so 5 tenths slower now 373 gear now mabe 3tenths slower 4 door car sad so so sad
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #68
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383ss View Post
what a worthless thread.
yes
Old 02-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #69
MrKrisSullivan
New 2 The "DARK-SIDE"

Drives: 2003 Ram HEMI 4x4 Slt 20in
what does it matter if they use a steel or Iron or Aluminum or Paper Machie' block??
As long as it performs and is durable to withstand the test of time, why would you care?
Just feel the need to hate?
MrKrisSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #70
1982camaro

Drives: 1982 camaro
wow, lots of mixed reactions and emotions. I already knew i was going to get some heat for creating a thread like this.

thanks for all the info, its been a lot of help.

but so far i'm sold on the ls3 camaro. only thing that worries me is gm dieing and my warranty becoming no good.
1982camaro is offline   Reply With Quote