Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
Duper

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjames View Post
Haha. Just cause others can't see it doesn't mean it's not there or cheaply made.
No one notices the little defects from rock chips in my paint, but that's the first thing I notice when I look at my car.

I'm being pretty hard on the kit, but also being honest. I want others to know what I didn't when I decided to go with this kit. If others are just a little more careful during their install than I was, I'm sure it won't be a problem for the majority of the installs - this was just my experience. Alternatively, one could also reinforce that area pretty easily if they're worried about it.

One thing I didn't mention is that this kit was actually free for me. How? I wrote a letter to the Scosche company president about how poor their communication was about the kit, just letting them know they lost me as a customer, are hurting small business owners who are trying to pre-sell this kit at Christmas time, and what they could have done to keep me and possibly others from abandoning them and going with Metra instead.

In response, they sent me a standard reply form letter saying the kit would be out 'soon'. I complained back saying they missed the point entirely and threw my words back in my face. They apologized and offered me a free kit in return for giving them honest feedback about it. I sent them this link so they can hear what folks are saying.

Needless to say, they earned me back as a customer and have an opportunity to fix what's wrong with v1 of this kit. Every business has to make a delicate balance between quality, cost, and speed to market. They obviously had some trouble with this kit so I wasn't expecting perfection but it fell just short for me. Nonetheless, the kit is still better than the Metra for me for all the reasons above - looks, features, and functionality. If I choose, I could easily pull out the unit, fix that little gap, and no one would ever be the wiser. Again, no one's going to notice but if it every starts to bug me, I'll fix it.

Make up your own mind about it, I hope this helped.... Just trying to give back to the community that has helped me out before.

Cheers!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
CruznSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Camaro ABM - Silver Ralleys
I'm on the fence for right now. Waiting to see how Mike's works out. Will be driving down to Extreme Performance to have them install it. Not sure which head unit to go with. It's nice to see we are getting some options finally. Nice write up & video, thanks....

CRUZN-SS VIA tapatalk
Old 01-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duper View Post
No one notices the little defects from rock chips in my paint, but that's the first thing I notice when I look at my car.

I'm being pretty hard on the kit, but also being honest. I want others to know what I didn't when I decided to go with this kit. If others are just a little more careful during their install than I was, I'm sure it won't be a problem for the majority of the installs - this was just my experience. Alternatively, one could also reinforce that area pretty easily if they're worried about it.

One thing I didn't mention is that this kit was actually free for me. How? I wrote a letter to the Scosche company president about how poor their communication was about the kit, just letting them know they lost me as a customer, are hurting small business owners who are trying to pre-sell this kit at Christmas time, and what they could have done to keep me and possibly others from abandoning them and going with Metra instead.

In response, they sent me a standard reply form letter saying the kit would be out 'soon'. I complained back saying they missed the point entirely and threw my words back in my face. They apologized and offered me a free kit in return for giving them honest feedback about it. I sent them this link so they can hear what folks are saying.

Needless to say, they earned me back as a customer and have an opportunity to fix what's wrong with v1 of this kit. Every business has to make a delicate balance between quality, cost, and speed to market. They obviously had some trouble with this kit so I wasn't expecting perfection but it fell just short for me. Nonetheless, the kit is still better than the Metra for me for all the reasons above - looks, features, and functionality. If I choose, I could easily pull out the unit, fix that little gap, and no one would ever be the wiser. Again, no one's going to notice but if it every starts to bug me, I'll fix it.

Make up your own mind about it, I hope this helped.... Just trying to give back to the community that has helped me out before.

Cheers!
amen
black. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Great write up. I think you did an honest job. As for my install I was extra careful while trying to get my 4-pack back in with my Hurst shifter plate in place, but it seems a real tight fit with the extra height of shifter plate and how low the Scosche face sits. Made for a tough time. I also lost my steering wheel control for the volume for some reason but the AVIC-Z130bt works. I agree the 2-piece design should have some extra reinforcement along the seam. But all taken into account I think its the best looking kit thus far. Just my opinion.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
Johng57
Mid-Wife Crisis

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Great write up. I think you did an honest job. As for my install I was extra careful while trying to get my 4-pack back in with my Hurst shifter plate in place, but it seems a real tight fit with the extra height of shifter plate and how low the Scosche face sits. Made for a tough time. I also lost my steering wheel control for the volume for some reason but the AVIC-Z130bt works. I agree the 2-piece design should have some extra reinforcement along the seam. But all taken into account I think its the best looking kit thus far. Just my opinion.

RC - I read in one of the other threads someone had the same problem as you, they went into settings and had to select the radio they were using - once done the controls worked. Did you do that?
Johng57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johng57 View Post
RC - I read in one of the other threads someone had the same problem as you, they went into settings and had to select the radio they were using - once done the controls worked. Did you do that?
Yeah, I figured that out while making my video.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #21
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Quote:
YEa, its set for the Pioneer but the volume on wheel doesn't work. I wonder if the avid-bypass mod has anything to do with it.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
There is a video on youtube on a radio and Scoshe kit install. He showed it when he first installed the units. Hes was going thru the setup and he mention that the steering wheel did work. It to set up and found the set up for the steering wheel control. It had a list of radios. He had a Alpine radio and entered it. Went back to main screen and tested the steering wheel controls and it worked. You just have to find the right screen to set up the controls.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #23
Caddyroger

Quote:
YEa, its set for the Pioneer but the volume on wheel doesn't work. I wonder if the avid-bypass mod has anything to do with it.
The guy that I was talking about used the volume up and down buttons to test the control unit. I hope their nothing wrong with using the SW control with the Pioneers. I am going to use the pioneer z130bt.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #24
Duper

Just added a quick video on how to change the settings and work the touch screen controls:
Old 01-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #25
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
There is a video on youtube on a radio and Scoshe kit install. He showed it when he first installed the units. Hes was going thru the setup and he mention that the steering wheel did work. It to set up and found the set up for the steering wheel control. It had a list of radios. He had a Alpine radio and entered it. Went back to main screen and tested the steering wheel controls and it worked. You just have to find the right screen to set up the controls.
I tried all the different radios in the car/settings on the Scosche but the volume don't work. I know the button is working because with different radio settings in scosche it would chage either presets or source if you have the wrong radio set. I can tell you with the Avicz130bt the volume does not work with Steering controls.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #26
Big Top Gt
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2010 2SS/RS (LS3)
Send a message via AIM to Big Top Gt Send a message via Skype™ to Big Top Gt
I may be a little late to the party here, but I'll take your Metra kit for your $50 asking price.

I'll wrap it in carbon fiber.
Big Top Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #27
Caddyroger

Quote:
I tried all the different radios in the car/settings on the Scosche but the volume don't work. I know the button is working because with different radio settings in scosche it would chage either presets or source if you have the wrong radio set. I can tell you with the Avicz130bt the volume does not work with Steering controls.
AW Shit. I guess no volume control for me unless I use another steering control adapter. :(
Old 01-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #28
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
How come you didnt go with the Alpine kit?
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote