Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Commodore454

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Cool Square Setup

So I'm looking to get my first set of aftermarket wheels and to justify the expense, I've decided that in order for it to make sense, I would need to go with a "Square" setup so that I can rotate the tires.

Obviously I want to go with the widest/lightest wheels I can afford and so I've decided on Forgestar F14's.

I know the zl1's run 285/35's on the front so I'm thinking this should fit all the way around. But I've read some threads that say this is not true for an SS because it won't clear the struts.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...
Commodore454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
If you want a true SQUARED fitment with a 285/35 the issue with that is not necessarily the front being a problem, but it is the source of the problem. Offsets on the 1LE and ZL1 are 20x10 ET23 up front which is what is typically requested. The rears are 20x11 ET43 if I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong, but based on that fitment, putting a 20x10 ET23 on the rears means the rears will stick out about 7mm's more than the 20x11 Et43's do. It's not necessarily a problem, but if you're lowered at all it will be because the wheel will stick out past the fenders and tends to look a bit iffy. If we of course take that offset down a bit to accommodate a better front/rear fitment it's do-able, but the more offset you take off on the front wheels, the closer the tire gets to the shock/spring which can lead to fitment issues there.

Running a 20x10 on all four corners should be your best option, but if anything don't go with a ZL1 like fitment up front, we should take that offset down a bit and run something closer to a 20x10 ET30-ET35 on all four corners to clear the strut/shock (depending on what set up you have) and to make sure the rear has enough clearance to lower the car a bit more.

Hopefully that makes sense, I've done at least 2 dozen sets just like this so if you're interested in getting that done, send me a PM and we'll take it from there more in detail!
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
I'll throw this in... you can do an epic rotatable 305 all around setup if you put a spacer up front. Many people are sketched out about spacers. I do not see a problem with them so long as they are hub centric, billet, sized properly for your lugs, and you have enough thread for your lug nuts.

We will be running 19x11 with 305 toyo r888 on all 4 corners of our project car and we will be able to swap wheels from front to back
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
2SS2010

Drives: 2010 2 SS
Will the wheels sit inside the fender like they do with stock SS wheels using that ET30-ET35 BS?
2SS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
I just did 20x10 +35 offset from Factory Reproductions style 41 with 275/45 general gmaxx tires. It all clears perfectly.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
ModBargains.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS2010 View Post
Will the wheels sit inside the fender like they do with stock SS wheels using that ET30-ET35 BS?
It will be a nice flush fitment just like what was posted above for those reproduction wheels, they'll be a similar fitment, just with wider tires
Old 04-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
2SS2010

Drives: 2010 2 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
It will be a nice flush fitment just like what was posted above for those reproduction wheels, they'll be a similar fitment, just with wider tires
And with that BS lowering springs wont be recommended?
2SS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Commodore454

Quote:
I'll throw this in... you can do an epic rotatable 305 all around setup if you put a spacer up front. Many people are sketched out about spacers. I do not see a problem with them so long as they are hub centric, billet, sized properly for your lugs, and you have enough thread for your lug nuts.

We will be running 19x11 with 305 toyo r888 on all 4 corners of our project car and we will be able to swap wheels from front to back
Forgive me for asking stupid questions for I am fairly new to the whole forum experience, but what reason would someone have for not wanting a spacer?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Commodore454

Quote:
Running a 20x10 on all four corners should be your best option, but if anything don't go with a ZL1 like fitment up front, we should take that offset down a bit and run something closer to a 20x10 ET30-ET35 on all four corners to clear the strut/shock (depending on what set up you have) and to make sure the rear has enough clearance to lower the car a bit more.
If I'm understanding you correctly...
You're saying that I would need a deeper concave on the rear wheels than the front, and that the tires would be rotatable but not the actual wheels?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
ModBargains.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS2010 View Post
And with that BS lowering springs wont be recommended?
Well preferably without springs. I know springs are very attractive given their cost, and often times look fantastic but if you want optimal fitment you need something that is ride height adjustable. This way YOU control where your car sits, and where you want it. There are lots of benefits to having an adjustable ride height suspension, I have a lot of Subaru customers and other guys with 4WD cars that drive their cars through winter, and they raise up their suspension during the winter for clearance, and then lower the car back down again in summer for their car shows. Of course that might not effect everyone here, but I'm sure some of you guys drive your Camaro in winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore454 View Post
Forgive me for asking stupid questions for I am fairly new to the whole forum experience, but what reason would someone have for not wanting a spacer?
Not a stupid question at all. There has been skepticism about spacers, but if you get a HIGH quality spacer from H&R for example, which are TUV approved (highest approval certification level you can receive in Europe), and match that with the fact that they're Forged T6 Aerospace aluminum as well, you get the lightness and strength of a spacer. The problem where all this skepticism comes from is that they can cause vibrations. There is truth to that but only to the people who install spacers from unreliable companies, or most importantly if installation is done incorrectly. If the hub on the car is dirty, rusty or there is any debris between the spacer and the wheel, it will cause vibrations.

I have 45mm (about an inch and a half) spacers front and rear currently, I've had them on for a few months, and I haven't had any issues whatsoever because they were installed correctly and it was a good quality H&R Spacer too. As long as you do it right, there are no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore454 View Post
If I'm understanding you correctly...
You're saying that I would need a deeper concave on the rear wheels than the front, and that the tires would be rotatable but not the actual wheels?
Let me make it easier for you, I didn't do the best explaining it, it's hard to tell without a diagram, but honestly 10" wide wheels with a ET30 offset will be good to use for a square set up on all four corners, but of course that offset might be plus or minus a bit depending on your suspension set up and depending on the tires you want to use as well.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
So Jurrian, let me ask this, with a set of coil-overs (Ridetechs) is it possible (in your opinion) to run a "square" 20x10.5" with 295/35?
Old 04-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
ModBargains.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
So Jurrian, let me ask this, with a set of coil-overs (Ridetechs) is it possible (in your opinion) to run a "square" 20x10.5" with 295/35?
Anything is possible if you keep your mind open. With the right camber adjustment, yeah of course that can fit, but it just depends on how much of a compromise you're willing to endure to make that fit.

Honestly if it was me, 295/35 fits on a 10" wide wheel, so I'd just do that if it was me, but like I said, if you don't mind compromising you can make wide fitments work. I've already done 10.5 up front on a ZL1 and it looked nice and beefy but I think that was on 275's up front if my memory serves me right, but if you add in enough camber and get the right offset, yeah you can make a 10.5 on a 295 work.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
I did 19x10.5 + 22 on all fours with 305/3019.the rear are perfect the front stick out a bit but no ride or turning issue, well I only had this for a week. I'm also dropped with coilovers

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
Commodore454

Quote:

I'm actually leaning this way since I have the option to buy the much cheaper Hankook Ventus RS-3 tires for the car with this option, plus who the hell wouldn't want 305's on all four corners?!?!

So what size spacers would I want to make this happen? And where would I get them?

Also, I'm running on stock suspension and stock ride height. Would I need to lower the car for this to look right?

Tags
forgestar f14, square, tire size, traction, wheel size