Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #561
TheTransporter

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
Yea, Let's go back to the conventional key feature where we can once again dangle two pounds of other keys and assorted objects onto the ring which started this whole mess to begin with. I'm glad we have brilliant politicians looking out for all of us on this dire issue.
Bingo. I think this is what is causing the current problem. This has nothing to do with how close someone is sitting, it has more to do with the seat height, steering wheel tilt, and a key chain attached to the fob. I just put this key chain on my fob,Name:  camarokeychain.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  9.8 KB and because of the angle of the ignition, how the key chain hangs down and how I had the steering wheel adjusted, my knee periodically hits it. I tilted the steering wheel up a little higher and problem solved. I haven't had any issue with it turning off when I bump it, so hopefully this recall isn't mandatory because a separate key and fob will be a pain.
TheTransporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #562
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
Someday i will want to sell my car! So yes I will bring it in and get what they have for a fix. Then document it so when i sell I can say yes that recall was fixed.
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #563
Galts Disciple

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS (2SS, M6)
My leg doesn't go anywhere near the ignition so for me this is a non issue. I like the switchblade key and I'm going to keep it. I wonder how they're going to approach this. I'm assuming when you take the car in for service they're going to try and convince you to swap for the separate FOB and key. But what if you refuse? Are they going to make you sign a release? The only way they could make you take their solution would be to swap out the ignition so your current key won't work. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think they could do that unless you authorize them to do the work.
Galts Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #564
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Ignition issue reaches us

Have you all seen the latest in the General's Ignition switch woes?

Our beloved 1LE's (and all other Camaros for that matter) are now affected by the recalls as well.

Check this out: https://autos.yahoo.com/news/general...200000649.html
Old 06-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #565
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill3mall View Post
ya im not gonna get a new key. no point in wasting my time. At no point has my knee even come remotely close to hitting it while I was driving my car. Unless your flailing around like an idiot or something there's really no possible way to accidently shut your car off while driving. GM is just making themselves look bad by issuing a recall for this.
If you read the articals they are already getting heat from the NHTSA over this because nothing has been done before now. No matter what GM does any more it will be looked on as bad.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #566
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTransporter View Post
Bingo. I think this is what is causing the current problem. This has nothing to do with how close someone is sitting, it has more to do with the seat height, steering wheel tilt, and a key chain attached to the fob. I just put this key chain on my fob,Attachment 636685 and because of the angle of the ignition, how the key chain hangs down and how I had the steering wheel adjusted, my knee periodically hits it. I tilted the steering wheel up a little higher and problem solved. I haven't had any issue with it turning off when I bump it, so hopefully this recall isn't mandatory because a separate key and fob will be a pain.
How tall are you that you're hitting it? Saw a GM writeup that said if you sit close to the wheel you could hit the key. I'm guessing if you're 6' or taller you wouldn't be sitting close enough to hit it. I'm 6'3" and couldn't hit if I tried.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #567
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
It appears at least at this juncture that it is typical overreaction by the powers to be that are holding GM's feet to the fire and making a quantum leap correlation between this infinitely remote possibility of ignition failure and the other ignition switch issues that are at the root of this case. I guess it's also possible one could sneeze while driving and inadvertently steer into a freeway divider.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #568
TN 2010 SS

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
There is no way I'm taking mine back for this, and they can't make me. It's MY car!!
TN 2010 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #569
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
So dude's basically kickboxing with the fob.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #570
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASFRED View Post
The recall, is it for the 2013 too?
As far as I understand it effects all 2010-2014 Camaros, new and used.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #571
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Yes but who wants their key swapped out for old school ignition.

Not me.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #572
Towlie

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Pretty much, he had to knee the damn thing like six times. I thought it was an internal ignition thing. Not asshats kneeing the FOB into the accessories position.
Towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #573
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
I know other GM cars/trucks use the same type of fob, will there be recall on those also?
Old 06-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #574
SSmokinSS
Get Some

Drives: 2014 ZL1 6Speed
My malibu has the same key. I just bought it 2 weeks ago. Is it going to explode?

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall