Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 05-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Sloppy Joe

Drives: 2SS RJT
Is This Dealer Lieing to Me?

I just talked with a dealer a few days ago about a 2SS they had on their lot. I asked the price and the salesman says $7,000 over MSRP "market adjustment". I of course told them I wasn't interested in paying over MSRP, that was not good business, etc and left.

Today I got an email from the sales Mgr. at this dealer trying to justify the extra $7000 over MSRP. As you read his justification (below) for the $7,000 extra, keep in mind that the VIN of this particular car shows up as tagged to this dealer and only this dealer in the VIN tracking spreadsheet here on Camaro5. I think he is lieing when he says they bought it from another dealer from another state since it shows up on the tracking sheet as being their dealership's car. Based on that, is there any way what he says could be true?

Dear Sir,
I wanted to take a moment to clarify the pricing on the SS Camaro that you inquired about. All of our Camaro's are available at MSRP on an order basis. We have been taking these orders for almost a year now and unfortunately, have sold our allotment through approximately mid-November (depending on current production schedules remaining constant). The SS that you inquired about was purchased by us from a competing out of state dealer at a significant amount over MSRP. We purchased this car in order to meet the local demands of people wanting to see the Camaro more than our desire to sell this specific car. Having paid over sticker for it and having to absorb the cost of transporting the car. we now own the car for quite a bit over sticker, explaining why the price was quoted to you. This is the fourth Camaro that we have purchased and brought into the store and though our intention was to hold onto them, they have all sold on a fairly steady basis.

Sincerely,
Randall...
Sloppy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
N6504X

Drives: 2007 F-150 KR
Good hell.... that has to be a lie. They need to be exposed and embarrassed.
N6504X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
I really don't think a dealer is going to "buy" a car just to have it on the lot to make his customers "happy".

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
Nova65

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Auto IBM Black Int
if they bought it, wouldn't that mean it was titled and would be a "used" car?
Nova65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
He is lying!!! That is just bad business.

Call him out on it. Make him very uncomfortable.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Zeroburn

Drives: Black '10 2SS/RS #1002
Send a message via AIM to Zeroburn
This guy is truly lying. He deserves a good

Oh and BTW

Call the news. Its what i'd do.
Zeroburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova65 View Post
if they bought it, wouldn't that mean it was titled and would be a "used" car?
No, dealers buy and trade new stock all the time, and they don't title the car.

And this story is definitely BS, its on the VIN sheet for this dealer meaning its window stickered to this dealer... nice try though!
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Zeroburn

Drives: Black '10 2SS/RS #1002
Send a message via AIM to Zeroburn
Tell him your going to bring a copy of the window sticker (try to get it off here if you can through his vin) and the local news. See if he'll work on that msrp at that point.
Zeroburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
QUOTE=Sloppy Joe;507878]I just talked with a dealer a few days ago about a 2SS they had on their lot. I asked the price and the salesman says $7,000 over MSRP "market adjustment". I of course told them I wasn't interested in paying over MSRP, that was not good business, etc and left.

Today I got an email from the sales Mgr. at this dealer trying to justify the extra $7000 over MSRP. As you read his justification (below) for the $7,000 extra, keep in mind that the VIN of this particular car shows up as tagged to this dealer and only this dealer in the VIN tracking spreadsheet here on Camaro5. I think he is lieing when he says they bought it from another dealer from another state since it shows up on the tracking sheet as being their dealership's car. Based on that, is there any way what he says could be true?

Dear Sir,
I wanted to take a moment to clarify the pricing on the SS Camaro that you inquired about. All of our Camaro's are available at MSRP on an order basis. We have been taking these orders for almost a year now and unfortunately, have sold our allotment through approximately mid-November (depending on current production schedules remaining constant). The SS that you inquired about was purchased by us from a competing out of state dealer at a significant amount over MSRP. We purchased this car in order to meet the local demands of people wanting to see the Camaro more than our desire to sell this specific car. Having paid over sticker for it and having to absorb the cost of transporting the car. we now own the car for quite a bit over sticker, explaining why the price was quoted to you. This is the fourth Camaro that we have purchased and brought into the store and though our intention was to hold onto them, they have all sold on a fairly steady basis.

Sincerely,
Randall...
[/QUOTE]

wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
Wow! Can a dealer get a little, teeny break?

First of all, look at the sticker on the car. It would have the original dealer the car was shipped to. Second, when a dealer buys a car from another dealer (or swaps it), the Chevrolet website will show a "window sticker" for the dealer that now owns the car.

I've been offered many Camaros at $3-4000 over MSRP from no less than 3 transfer companies at least 3 times a week.

So, for all of you who really don't know exactly what's going on, you really need more info before killing a dealer.

If it will all make you feel better, give me the VIN and I'll tell you what dealer it was originally invoiced to. If it's not the same as the dealer who now has the car, you'll know the dealer was not lying.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
CamaroSue

Drives: 2019 Corvette GS, 2023 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroburn View Post
Tell him your going to bring a copy of the window sticker (try to get it off here if you can through his vin) and the local news. See if he'll work on that msrp at that point.
Also take that email as proof of his lie. If you take the media with you - I bet he denies what he said in it!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
ns2004

Drives: 2000 Z28 A4, 2004 Turbo Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSue View Post
Also take that email as proof of his lie. If you take the media with you - I bet he denies what he said in it!!!
Seeing I work at a dealer, the car has a invoice and window sticker assinged to the originating dealer. If the window sticker has their name on it, it is BS.

$7000 over MSRP is bullshit. Find another dealer who is willing to sell at MSRP like we do.

2800 S. HWY 17-92
Deland, Florida 32730
(386)734-2661
ns2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
It's impossible. You have massive amounts of cars on the market, you have rapid dropping used prices. Used Vettes and 4th gens are dropping like a rock right now.

Couple that with Avis rentals will be hitting the used market in 12-36 months. This normally lowers the used values.

So any penny over MSRP is the same as taking that cash and lighting a Cigar. There are 190+ MSRP dealers on the list, use one of them.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
If, in fact, the dealer bought this Camaro to fulfill demand from another dealer and paid over sticker, he will try to recoup his money and then some. Many dealers bought ZR-1's and paid MSRP or more and then charged a markup accordingly. This is normal in the car business.

If you don't like the price, walk away. News agencies could care less about the price a car dealer is charging. Just go find one that is at MSRP and go buy it.