Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
JooktheSnooke

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Smile Tuning Question, please help

Hello all,
I looked around the forums but figured Id just start a post and ask exactly what I need.

Over the fall/winder I did a bunch of mods to my 2010 SS LS3,

TS Stage 2 cam (229/244 .629/.615 112LSA)
ported LS3 heads
Ported throttle body
roto fab cold air intake
Long tube headers
hi-flow cats
axle back exhaust
4.10 rear gears

Note:I also have the ZL1 fuel pump and injectors (not installed because im not sure if ill need them for these mods)

so my questions are these.
1)When I got my LT headers it came with a diablo intune i2. so im wondering if I can just use that to download a email tune for these mods or if im just better off bringing the car to a dyno and having the tune done that way?

2)with the mods I have, would the fuel pump and injectors even be needed? or is that more so needed for FI applications? if it is needed, I heard that I cant drive the car after the injectors are installed. if so, should I just install the pump and have the shop put the injectors in after I drive the car there? or can I install the injectors and get a base tune just to be able to drive the car to the dyno?

3) lastly, if I do install the pump and injectors is the FPCM something a shop can tune or would I have to buy the FPCM that Jannety sells?

Thank you all for taking the time to help a fellow member out.
2010 Cyber Gray Metallic 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Stainless Works Longtubes w/ high flow cats | Muffler Delete | TSP 229/244 stage 2 cam| TSP .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Mulling high volume oil pump | PTB | Trunnion upgrade | Hurst short throw shifter | Elite Engineering Catch Can | Exedy stage 1 clutch | ZL1 injectors | ZL1 Fuel Pump
JooktheSnooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
1fast

Drives: 2010 Gen 5
With the mods you have And cam and heads you be fine with the factory injectors and in tank pump.

Without spending money to have done or time if doing yourself. Tune the car see where your injector duty cycles at then see if you need fuel upgrade. I'll bet you will be fine.

Do you have hp tuners or a friend with
1fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
JooktheSnooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast View Post
With the mods you have And cam and heads you be fine with the factory injectors and in tank pump.

Without spending money to have done or time if doing yourself. Tune the car see where your injector duty cycles at then see if you need fuel upgrade. I'll bet you will be fine.

Do you have hp tuners or a friend with
the only tuner I have is the diablo intune i2, i was thinking of just using that and getting a custom tune from either ted or steve, but im not sure if that will cut it or if i need a dyno
2010 Cyber Gray Metallic 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Stainless Works Longtubes w/ high flow cats | Muffler Delete | TSP 229/244 stage 2 cam| TSP .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Mulling high volume oil pump | PTB | Trunnion upgrade | Hurst short throw shifter | Elite Engineering Catch Can | Exedy stage 1 clutch | ZL1 injectors | ZL1 Fuel Pump
Old 07-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
JooktheSnooke

bump
Old 07-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
JooktheSnooke

BUMP
Old 07-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #6
acammer
Back in the game

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JooktheSnooke View Post
Hello all,
I looked around the forums but figured Id just start a post and ask exactly what I need.

Over the fall/winder I did a bunch of mods to my 2010 SS LS3,

TS Stage 2 cam (229/244 .629/.615 112LSA)
ported LS3 heads
Ported throttle body
roto fab cold air intake
Long tube headers
hi-flow cats
axle back exhaust
4.10 rear gears

Note:I also have the ZL1 fuel pump and injectors (not installed because im not sure if ill need them for these mods)

so my questions are these.
1)When I got my LT headers it came with a diablo intune i2. so im wondering if I can just use that to download a email tune for these mods or if im just better off bringing the car to a dyno and having the tune done that way?

2)with the mods I have, would the fuel pump and injectors even be needed? or is that more so needed for FI applications? if it is needed, I heard that I cant drive the car after the injectors are installed. if so, should I just install the pump and have the shop put the injectors in after I drive the car there? or can I install the injectors and get a base tune just to be able to drive the car to the dyno?

3) lastly, if I do install the pump and injectors is the FPCM something a shop can tune or would I have to buy the FPCM that Jannety sells?

Thank you all for taking the time to help a fellow member out.
So - couple of things. First - you shouldn't need to do anything with the fuel system if you're staying on pump 93. My car is fairly similar to yours, and I'm only at 79% injector duty cycle - stock injectors, stock pump, untouched FPCM. So, you shouldn't need anything with the fuel system unless you go to a flex fuel setup or add boost.

You are correct that the car probably won't run well if you change injectors - and I'd be worried it would be so rich on fuel it might wash the cylinder bores and leave you with a hurt motor - you'd need a base-tune to get you to the tuners shop. But - since you can leave the fuel system alone, that shouldn't be a problem.

Now, you can get pretty good tunes done remotely. I have heard some negative results about RDP with cammed applications. I don't know much about Jannettey's tuning, but I know the way that they treated me when I asked a simple question of them tells me it's a place I never want to spend my money with. Your experiences may vary.

If you were looking to tune remotely I would strongly recommend giving GPI a call. They typically only want to remote tune on cars running their parts - but you have a pretty simple combination and they may be willing to take it on. If they are, they would be a fantastic option. You won't beat their level of service and, having driven a couple of different remoted tuned GPI applications (include a build just like mine) I can say they do EXCELLENT work that won't leave you disappointed.

Still - the best option is usually to get with a reputable tuner in your area. I'm not sure where in NY you are, but I can't recommend New Age HotRods in New York Mills (near Utica) enough. Josh spend a lot of time with each car he works on and makes sure that customers leave very satisfied. They are not the cheapest option, and they usually have a pretty full calendar - but it's worth every penny you spend and every day you have to wait to have your car "right".

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss a little more. I'd be happy to connect you with the GPI guys or the New Age HotRod guys if you decide to go that route.
2011 2SS SGM - CAI, PTB, Rod-Mod and ported intake, GPI SS3 cam, AR LTs 1.875", X-pipe, high flow cats, cutouts behind the axle. 25% UPD, 169*F stat, EE catch can, Ideal Garage clutch master, seperate reservoir, Tick-Shift billet throwout support, Yukon 4.10 gears, TruTrac Differential, LPW Differential Cover, BMR Pro diff bushings, Pegasus Solid rear sub-frame bushings. 497rwhp. 11.86@117 4160lbs raceweight.
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote