Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
My new setup gets seemingly high coolant temps

Hey all. Very new to the FI world. Had my SC installed about 3 weeks ago.

416 with all the goodies, F1a procharger with the biggest pulley they make for it now (5" I think), and going to a 4.25" pulley in about 2 weeks or so. Hasn't been on a dyno with this current setup, as we are waiting on the smaller pulley to get the power where I want to be (10-13# boost, aiming for somewhere north of 700-750 maybe 800ish)

Here's my issue: in stop and go heavy traffic like thru downtown mornings and afternoons with all the lights, my coolant temps just climb incredibly fast. Fans are working, but it seems that's not enough, so I've been running the heater and just aiming it out the passenger window. That helps, but they still climb slowly and are usually in high 230s when I park. I've seen temps as high as 240 before cranking on the heat bc I don't want it to go beyond that, but it would prob climb til the car hits limp mode, especially if it's Aug and we are looking at 100* air temps outside

Tuner wants to see if he can remedy the issue with a tune before we install a better radiator, but I'm considering doing the rad anyhow soon bc if it isn't fixed with this tune in 2 weeks, it'll be another month or so til I can get in to the shop

Thoughts? My gut is telling me just do it- more power seems to equal more heat, and a bigger radiator is (in my head) the answer, but before I drop the money, thought I'd ask what y'all think. This is my daily so it sees everything from snow in winter to 95+ temps in summer. Traffic can be brutal here (Denver) and I'm looking to keep this thing just running smooth, preferably without the heater on blast hahah

So do y'all think a better/bigger radiator is in order?
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
hillshooter

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS commemorative
are you running AC, turn it off when in stop and go ? Also put a 160 thermostat in it.
2015 Camaro SS, Texas speed 418,Currently shopping for new CAM. AGP 68/68, 3" loud valves/NPP exhaust, fore fuel system, Methanol injection. AEM TRUboost. Ngauge with fuel pressure and wideband logging. BMR drag suspension with carlyle brake kit. 15" ET drags and 17" skinnies. ZL1 3.73 gears , aluminum driveshaft. TH400 with circle D converter.
hillshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I have a ton of cooling mods on mine just for that reason. 416 forged ported LSA SC.

Too much to list but my build thread shows all my mods — including the 3 hxs (all upgrades), dual Varimax intercooler pumps, Roush ~ 3 quart reservoir, electric water pump (inline).

I road course mine so I also have a bigger radiator, dual power steering pump coolers (including factory),big trans cooler, dual oil coolers (including factory), E85, meth ;o)

When I road course, I also use the heater on blast out the passenger’s window too... old school style.

I’m in DFW so I know what you mean about heat.

PM me and we can chat on the phone if you like...

If you’re at CFest, let me know...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
What are the chances you have air trapped in the cooling system?
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
I have been fighting this for years and here is where I am.

1. Aluminum radiator (I have FCS because when I bought it that was the only one available.)
2. I installed a 3rd fan (17”) in front of the heat exchanger that runs on its own thermostat and relay. This mod helped the most and I can almost run the ac in town in hot weather but not quite.

I also have a 25 row oil and trans cooler mounted with a 7” fan on each . Keeping oil temps around 220-230 also helps. Turn the fans on high from 180 in the tune but check the all weather connector that powers the fans . Quickly burned up that connector running the fans harder. Also try to manage your idle and low rpm timing map . Your tuner will take care of all that. Also , in the summer I take out the winter coolant and run purified water with a conditioner and water wetter. That will be a huge difference by itself. Be sure to add antifreeze in the winter for obvious reasons and the system will work fine due to lower ambient temps .

If you discover something revolutionary please pass the word. It’s 103 here today.
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #6
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Ditto on the distilled water and water wetter in summer...

I do that also...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
hazy

Sounds like this is something I should have looked into before diving in hahaha thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll probably start with an upgraded radiator and go from there, will also try the water wetter trick, as well.

Appreciate it folks!
Old 07-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #8
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
I'm running a Whipple on the stock LS3, at about 10.5 - 11psi. It makes about 800RWHP on E85. I am running the stock radiator, fans, and a 160* thermostat. In the heat of summer, both here in Fayetteville, NC and Albuquerque, NM the car never got over 205* (stop & go traffic, A/C on, etc). Going down the road, she stays about 185*, even in 100*+ heat.

I'm curious if you might have a mechanical issue that is causing your problems...I hope you get it figured out!!

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:14 AM   #9
hazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
I'm running a Whipple on the stock LS3, at about 10.5 - 11psi. It makes about 800RWHP on E85. I am running the stock radiator, fans, and a 160* thermostat. In the heat of summer, both here in Fayetteville, NC and Albuquerque, NM the car never got over 205* (stop & go traffic, A/C on, etc). Going down the road, she stays about 185*, even in 100*+ heat.

I'm curious if you might have a mechanical issue that is causing your problems...I hope you get it figured out!!
ugh that's just discouraging hahaha

I'm gonna talk with the shop when I drop it off in 2 weeks. We'll see - honestly have no idea, but maybe the additional cubes impact this in my car vs yours? Hell I have no idea, but hoping something can get figured out because this is miserable in the afternoons
Old Today, 12:06 PM   #10
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
I'm also on the stock radiator and fans and displacement.

In Florida its about 90 degrees and I run the AC full time. Never gets over 210.

Have you tried to burp the coolant system? Sounds like you may have air trapped in the system.
ESS Tuning Supercharger G3X 18psi 837/727
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote