Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-08-2021, 09:01 AM   #29
PA_JG28

Drives: 2013 Camaro Conv 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnitro View Post
Any idea of when they will come back instock?
When wondering that myself! Still not in stock as of today...
PA_JG28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #30
Mistanando

Drives: 2014 Conv. Spring Edition Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_JG28 View Post
Does anyone know if this radio allows the use of the factory camera for a 2013 convertible? My backup cam is displayed in the MyLink touchscreen, not the rear view mirror.

Also, convertibles have the sub integrated in the back seat. Any inputs for that on this Octopus model?
No it does not. I have a 2014 Convertible and I had to run the camera supplied. The factory camera does not have RCA connection.
Mistanando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #31
Gordy87

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Can anyone provide any updates on these head units? Been looking at them since my Scosche unit went out about 2 months ago. This is the 2nd unit in less then couple years. Had the 1st gen unit that was bad right out of the box, they upgraded to the newer 2 screen unit (not my favorite) and now it's bad. They pretty much told me to piss off as far as warranty.
Gordy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:12 PM   #32
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy87 View Post
Can anyone provide any updates on these head units? Been looking at them since my Scosche unit went out about 2 months ago. This is the 2nd unit in less then couple years. Had the 1st gen unit that was bad right out of the box, they upgraded to the newer 2 screen unit (not my favorite) and now it's bad. They pretty much told me to piss off as far as warranty.
What would you like to know about the unit? I’ve had one in my car since spring and I like it. It’s slow to boot up and sometimes a little quirky but no more than the factory android unit in my Honda DD. I got it mostly for the back up camera which I lacked and Apple CarPlay. Also added a front camera and torque app with a OBD Bluetooth dongle.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:38 AM   #33
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG454 View Post
What would you like to know about the unit? I’ve had one in my car since spring and I like it. It’s slow to boot up and sometimes a little quirky but no more than the factory android unit in my Honda DD. I got it mostly for the back up camera which I lacked and Apple CarPlay. Also added a front camera and torque app with a OBD Bluetooth dongle.
the new version has a boot up that is about 75% faster, you can set in sleep mode for i think 3 days, so it will stay on in the background and not boot...also comes with wireless android auto and carplay.
ZL1 10 spokes,Dart 388,ECS Supercharger 2200x, E85 Flex Fuel sensor, Dart 388 , B&M Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 4000 Triple Disc TC,Katech Ported Heads, Texas Speed Sheet Metal Intake, ECS Big Blower Cam,ID 1700s, Fore Triple Pumps, E85,ATI Super Dampner, KW V3 Coilovers, Pfadt front and rear sway bars,Pfadt Trailing arms and toe rods,ZL1 Rear Diff, RPM 6l90e level 10 Tranny, SW Long Tubes no cats,Nick Williams Boosted 102mm TB, Dr Phil Tune,Borla Atak
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #34
Gordy87

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG454 View Post
Warranty, longevity of product, just basic questions really. I tried calling Digital Octopus with no luck and email link kicked back an undeliverable message. I also notice from a couple of the video that these units look different as far as the actual box itself. The units from AliExpress look more like a single din unit and the unit that Digital is showing in one of their videos looks more like a thin Double din version.

Mainly just want something to last and not have to worry about it failing in under 2yrs like my Scosche unit.
Gordy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:10 PM   #35
AG454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy87 View Post
Warranty, longevity of product, just basic questions really. I tried calling Digital Octopus with no luck and email link kicked back an undeliverable message. I also notice from a couple of the video that these units look different as far as the actual box itself. The units from AliExpress look more like a single din unit and the unit that Digital is showing in one of their videos looks more like a thin Double din version.

Mainly just want something to last and not have to worry about it failing in under 2yrs like my Scosche unit.
I'm not sure about warranty, probably not one. This is what it is, a chinese made android unit imported by Digital Octopus. They are all probably made in the same place as the ones you've seen on Ali express. The guy that is
running Digital octopus seems to have made a few changes in the units he orders and was offering good customer support. I do see that lately people are having a hard time getting in touch with them. I had some parts missing from my unit when I went to install it, and they got right back in touch with me and overnighted me the missing parts. Maybe they are just overwhelmed now, the units sell out as fast as they get them in. As far as the longevity of the unit, we will see. I only drive my car in the summer, not a daily driver.
The unit I got is a single DIN type unit. It looks like the newest version is what they call a slimback. That would give you more room for all your wires when you install. Hope that helps.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:02 AM   #36
nonstopper3

Drives: 12 camaro ss
So purchased the DO1015 which is the best unit they offer and 2 months in the screen took a shit…they sent me a new one but it’s completely different and parts are cheap, the ribbon that connected the screen to the motherboard is super cheap and ripped. They are very difficult to get a hold of as well. Wish me luck i think im going to ask for a refund.. not a happy camper
nonstopper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:34 PM   #37
SS_Dave

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopper3 View Post
So purchased the DO1015 which is the best unit they offer and 2 months in the screen took a shit…they sent me a new one but it’s completely different and parts are cheap, the ribbon that connected the screen to the motherboard is super cheap and ripped. They are very difficult to get a hold of as well. Wish me luck i think im going to ask for a refund.. not a happy camper
This is the reason I'll probably stay with a known brand and choice of adaptor. Shame because conceptually it's good. Could use UI flow improvements, but a great step in the right direction. But till you can up the quality of parts, get consistent results, and consistent support, it's not interesting at $1K just for the head unit.
SS_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:57 AM   #38
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Dave View Post
This is the reason I'll probably stay with a known brand and choice of adaptor. Shame because conceptually it's good. Could use UI flow improvements, but a great step in the right direction. But till you can up the quality of parts, get consistent results, and consistent support, it's not interesting at $1K just for the head unit.

i don't know why anyone states a support issue....i have messaged them on Instagram and all hours of the day....they always respond within the hour.
ZL1 10 spokes,Dart 388,ECS Supercharger 2200x, E85 Flex Fuel sensor, Dart 388 , B&M Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 4000 Triple Disc TC,Katech Ported Heads, Texas Speed Sheet Metal Intake, ECS Big Blower Cam,ID 1700s, Fore Triple Pumps, E85,ATI Super Dampner, KW V3 Coilovers, Pfadt front and rear sway bars,Pfadt Trailing arms and toe rods,ZL1 Rear Diff, RPM 6l90e level 10 Tranny, SW Long Tubes no cats,Nick Williams Boosted 102mm TB, Dr Phil Tune,Borla Atak
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:42 AM   #39
SS_Dave

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post
i don't know why anyone states a support issue....i have messaged them on Instagram and all hours of the day....they always respond within the hour.
I wasn’t talking about the support. I was replying to his statement about failing in only 2 months and new version being different with cheap parts.

And in all of this, I’ve never seen anything on the SQ of this unit.
SS_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #40
AG454

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Dave View Post
I wasn’t talking about the support. I was replying to his statement about failing in only 2 months and new version being different with cheap parts.

And in all of this, I’ve never seen anything on the SQ of this unit.
I’m probably not the best judge, having old ears and slight tinnitus. The sound quality is good, as good or better than the stock unit. I’ve used Bluetooth and USB inputs and the sound is clear and loud. The unit has lots of EQ settings I haven’t even tried yet. I am just hoping it lasts for awhile.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:09 AM   #41
pcguy2u

Drives: 2009 Corvette ZR1
Need a measurement

Would someone take a measurement for me, please? I need the "B" dimension in the attached pic...

TIA, Nick
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2023, 09:16 AM   #42
pcguy2u

Drives: 2009 Corvette ZR1
Some other questions if you will...

Is the stock rear camera toast in this setup, or is it just the cable or the connector or what??? Ideally, it would be great if the camera cable just plugged into the new unit.

Does anyone have a good res picture of the back of the unit (later model?) with the connections annotated (or are they annotated on the back)?

Did the unit come with installation instructions, maybe someone has a PDF?

Thanks again, Nick