Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-15-2015, 02:23 AM   #1
mst320

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
1-piece driveshaft

Hello,

I am looking for a 1-piece driveshaft (either aluminium or carbon) for my 2013 Camaro 2SS with manual tranmission.

I am interested in your experiences with a 1-piece driveshaft.
I want to make sure that the driveshaft doesn't produce any vibration, noise or other sounds.
I changed my differential to 3.91.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Michael
mst320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #2
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
I have been running a DSS aluminum one piece with an LPE rear diff. No noise or vibration from the driveshaft. Takes a beating at the drag strip and the road course. No issue at 5 mph or 160 mph.

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
The only ppl I've seen say that slip shafts on these cars vibrate are the people selling CV shafts. Just sayin.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:27 AM   #4
copoz28

Drives: 2010 2SS-RS, IOM, M6
I wont be doing any 160-180 runs but IMO CAMARO 3.5" DYNOTECH DRIVESHAFT and dont look back, tkx Gforce.
copoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #5
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Check out the Driveshaft Shop great products and service. First drivetrain mod that I did followed by DSS axels.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by copoz28 View Post
I wont be doing any 160-180 runs but IMO CAMARO 3.5" DYNOTECH DRIVESHAFT and dont look back, tkx Gforce.
Ive had my GForce/Dynotech on for 3 years now and even smoked my old LS3. So i am not easy on the car. I was warned that this shaft was dangerous and my car was going to explode with it installed. Been pretty good so far. Fastest ive been though is about 170. Im geared for 185 in 5th at 7000rpm
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads

Last edited by BullF-16; 04-16-2015 at 11:50 AM.
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mst320 View Post
Hello,

I am looking for a 1-piece driveshaft (either aluminium or carbon) for my 2013 Camaro 2SS with manual tranmission.

I am interested in your experiences with a 1-piece driveshaft.
I want to make sure that the driveshaft doesn't produce any vibration, noise or other sounds.
I changed my differential to 3.91.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Michael
If you do independent research you will find that people who race with a Dynotech shaft, like me, have not had issues with vibrations. If you go back through many posts you will find that CV based shafts have had a lot more issues with vibration. That's why the design was revised to have dual CV's which also makes the shaft much heavier.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #8
Synner

My bad, CV and added billet adapter plate on the other end.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list

I usually try to stay out of "these" type of posts lately as they seem to go bad or get miss-understood, i also know allot of people have stopped posting info when asked as allot of them are not interested in being ridiculed for a post. Some people only remember small details and instances and they keep coming up like the guy you know reminding you about that one night with the ugly girl after your happily married with a great wife and kids years later.

That being said let me clear a little up here, We at DSS make our shaft with a Single CV at "one" end, at one time (2 shafts to be exact) we had tried using a CV at each end due to a issue. We have kinda pioneered the Aftermarket industry using a CV, after doing Drivetrain for 39 years i have learned few things about change, i am not afraid to make a mistake if i know in my heart its for a "better part"

When we started using the CV it was because "We at DSS" were experimenting with a new custom high speed balancer that can spin shafts to 9600rpm, what "we" found was the Male/Female type parts available (the ones currently used by everyone but DSS) had play,they are designed this way and have to have it. Some have more and some less but its very inconsistent and even a good one is not great, in fact the entire industry (including us) are hoping that a new design being developed will stop this problem. Back to the issue, at certain speeds the shaft would become unstable we decided to pursue the CV design as allot of major OE manufacturers including BMW, Mercedes,Audi,Mitsubishi,GM Ford,Dodge and Lexus to name a few were using CV's in new cars/trucks. We realized that the CV could be used as both the joint and the slider for install/suspension movement. Doing this meant allot of things had to come together the 1st thing we had was GKN Germany that made the "High Speed" CV, they were not used to having a company like us using so many so the scheduled dates for release were an issue, some other company's tried to use this CV also but where we were different was we actually make allot of our own parts, others were using the male stub/tube mount made from steel (entire part) and with out the aid of the High speed balancer would not see what we did as far as weight, center lines not to mention the ability to use a CV on an Aluminum shaft (DSS is the only one doing this as we make the part for ourselves).

After some time is seems GKN's tighter tolerance was not that great thru the entire plunge,im guessing the higher demand may have had something to do with this. When i say this i mean if the CV has 1" of movement and we were to balance it at say .500 as the center line when the part was at .350 or .400 it was not as tight as it was supposed to be and would create an issue similar to the male/female style shafts.

Making a part or using a new style part will have its ups and downs, this is when the "2 CV shaft" was tried. As time went on and we became more aware of each and every issue we came to realize CV tolerance was the culprit and was corrected, The spline fit from the CV to the stub can be an issue (from run to run they can vary) so being were a 50,000sq machine shop we just tightened the tolerance on our part to stop this, No this road has not been easy or smooth but i will say this, change is not always easy. In my heart i knew that using the CV was the only way to get a stable shaft throughout the
entire RPM range (or maybe this new style slider with stabilizers on both ends of the spline section can be)

I can honestly say the CV shafts sold by DSS are the most stable and trouble free ones out, SCCA though so and made them the only certified shafts able to be used in there competitions due to the engineering fault of the other style and the RPM the shaft have to spin, We get allot of people asking us to re-balane the slider type shafts and its hit and miss (i have videos of this but dont push me to post them please), just like what we saw back when we were using them.

I know we at DSS are kind of a target for some, big company that should never have an issue and so on, The way i see it is like this. The slider has a lower critical speed, this is an engineering issue. Its not something i created or i "Like to use" as a sales pitch, its a known SAE engineering fact that has come to light with the moden muscle cars with out a yoke that "slides into the trans" (question this: a yoke that slides into the back of a trans has a male and female right ? it also has a bushing riding on the outer diameter of the yoke to stabilize it. Think about what i just wrote) Go to the Dana/Spicer DANAMATE site and use there calculators. The number dont lie, we wanted to be able to sell a part that not only worked but was backed up using an engineering basis that could be proven, not just do the old "never had an issue" reasoning like this race car industry is so plagued with.

With out the ability or fear to make a mistake on something like this we would still be using Carburetors and running on Bias ply tires, I for one accept a challenge and over the years have constructed a company full of people that feel the same
way. Each and every "Camp" will have there favorite "side" We at DSS prefer to be open to change, honest when there is an issue and if an issue does happen we dont hide, we welcome the persons concerns and help to correct no matter what time has passed.

Please im posting this as informational introduction to the DSS way of thinking and how we ended up using the CV. our CV spline section is mounted to a aluminum head, the shafts are not heavy at all, with the plates there 24lbs. This i not meant to say ours is better, if you understand the thinking here great. If you feel another one is better great, i will say we sell more shafts than anyone one in this industry (this is a true fact backed by people selling ends and tubing to all of us) so with the sheer numbers we sell you may hear about some issue, any company will have an issue at one time or another but its the way the company helps thats makes it a better company to buy from. I hope this is welcomed as info and not an attack on any one, we are actually the only Driveshaft manufacturer here on this board, so please understand this post is about what we at DSS are doing for you and why we are doing it backed by info, nothing more.

Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote