Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
speedypeat

Drives: 2010 SS
Suspension Guru’s input on this list, please...

So, originally I had communicated with JPSS concerning a package that included their Sway Bar, Control Arms, Drop Links, Caster Locks, Z28 Toe Links, their billet Radius Arm Inserts, B6 monotubes and DSE springs. I ended up having to go overseas for work a bit suddenly, and once I returned home I discovered JPSS was no more. I’ve researched this forum quite a bit to try to get the appropriate GM part numbers and add to their recommendations from other sources.. I have already ordered and received the B6s and the DSE springs, along with Pegasus Cradle Bushings. While not a 32mm adjustable Sway Bar, I thought the ZL1 piece might be better with my stock SS front bar... Are the Z28 Radius Arms superior to inserts currently? Thoughts on the Z28 RUCA bushings vs the JDP Motorsport bushings sold already in the brackets? Car is a 2010 Camaro SS, square setup, 20x10 wheels (275/40-20)...

Here’s “The List”... Any and all thoughts/criticism are/is valued...

DSE adjustable caster kit

ZL1 Rear Sway Bar w/Rear Lower Control Arms & End Links

Link Rod x 2
Product ID: 22845487

Bushing (RUCA)
Product ID: 23104906

Bushing (RUCA)
Product ID: 23104907

Trailing Arm x 2
Product ID: 23104900

Lower Control Arm
Product ID: 23105018

Lower Control Arm
Product ID: 23105019
speedypeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
DSE has a rear sway bar that's similar in stiffness to JPSS's bar. (FYI, JPSS's bar isn't adjustable, but it is designed to mount directly over top of the lower mounting point. Also, if you lower the car, consider cutting the drop link so that the drop links will again be inline, perpendicular to the ground, instead of leaning forward).

The Z28 upper control arms bushings come in brackets as well (if you didn't know); I believe GM said that they're 400% stiffer than other versions so I imagine this bushing would be similar or better than aftermarket ones (or at the very least, good enough, depending on your application and experience).

Not sure off hand if anyone else makes radius rod inserts; I know Pegasus was developing solid aluminum bushings but not sure of the status of those. Again, considering the Z28 is a "track ready" car I'd imagine the Z28 inserts would be good enough.

The Z28 also offers different/stiffer rear shock mounts which I opted for, although I don't know if I notice a huge difference... Not that I'm a professional driver by any means.

If you're going this far, maybe consider caster plates (like from Pegasus) to give more caster for better wheel-centering; or if you're drilling out the front subframe (I assume you are if you got the radius rod washer kit by DSE) then the caster plates can be turned inward to bring the struts inward, thus increasing straight-line stability, while being able to reduce excessive camber via the knuckle (also don't need too much front camber with the extra caster).

Depending on how much camber you want, at ~1.5" drop in the rear you may require "camber bolts" (or drill out the subframe like for the front radius rods) to get less than -1.0° camber or so.

Hope this helps.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:47 PM   #3
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Since JPSS shut down, you won’t be able to get billet radius rod inserts. Next best thing will be the z/28 radius rods. I managed to score a brand new set of the billet inserts from someone on here. I’ve been tempted to PM JPSS to see if I could get his permission to have a local shop duplicate them, but I don’t know it’s worth the effort even if he were to agree.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:07 AM   #4
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Or, you could go 6th gen like I did:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...85577&page=174
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...85577&page=175

I’ve done just about every suspension mod out there over the years and tested them on the track ;o)

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:11 AM   #5
speedypeat

First time I saw the 6 Gen parts use! Brilliant stuff!
Old 06-28-2019, 01:15 AM   #6
speedypeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
DSE has a rear sway bar that's similar in stiffness to JPSS's bar. (FYI, JPSS's bar isn't adjustable, but it is designed to mount directly over top of the lower mounting point. Also, if you lower the car, consider cutting the drop link so that the drop links will again be inline, perpendicular to the ground, instead of leaning forward).

The Z28 upper control arms bushings come in brackets as well (if you didn't know); I believe GM said that they're 400% stiffer than other versions so I imagine this bushing would be similar or better than aftermarket ones (or at the very least, good enough, depending on your application and experience).

Not sure off hand if anyone else makes radius rod inserts; I know Pegasus was developing solid aluminum bushings but not sure of the status of those. Again, considering the Z28 is a "track ready" car I'd imagine the Z28 inserts would be good enough.

The Z28 also offers different/stiffer rear shock mounts which I opted for, although I don't know if I notice a huge difference... Not that I'm a professional driver by any means.

If you're going this far, maybe consider caster plates (like from Pegasus) to give more caster for better wheel-centering; or if you're drilling out the front subframe (I assume you are if you got the radius rod washer kit by DSE) then the caster plates can be turned inward to bring the struts inward, thus increasing straight-line stability, while being able to reduce excessive camber via the knuckle (also don't need too much front camber with the extra caster).

Depending on how much camber you want, at ~1.5" drop in the rear you may require "camber bolts" (or drill out the subframe like for the front radius rods) to get less than -1.0° camber or so.

Hope this helps.
Brilliant, thanks so much!
Old 06-28-2019, 01:18 AM   #7
speedypeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 310H55A View Post
Since JPSS shut down, you won’t be able to get billet radius rod inserts. Next best thing will be the z/28 radius rods. I managed to score a brand new set of the billet inserts from someone on here. I’ve been tempted to PM JPSS to see if I could get his permission to have a local shop duplicate them, but I don’t know it’s worth the effort even if he were to agree.
Is Justice Pete still active on the forum??
Old 06-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #8
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedypeat View Post
Is Justice Pete still active on the forum??

No but if you PM him I’m sure he’ll still get the email notification. I figure 50/50 chance he’ll actually respond.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #9
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
The Pegasus solid cradle bushings and rear Z/28 upper control arm bushings are maybe the best suspension mod combo for this car. They really tighten up the slop in the rear end and the improvement is noticeable. I bought the Z/28 front radius arms and just removed the delrin inserts and installed them on the stock arms. They really tighten up the steering.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote