Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 10-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
Maroon 6.2L SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS A6
When do you leave on the tree?

I have to leave just before the second light goes out. Guessing game!!! If I leave when the third light comes on my R.T is terrible.
Maroon 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon 6.2L SS View Post
I have to leave just before the second light goes out. Guessing game!!! If I leave when the third light comes on my R.T is terrible.
Depends on how deep you stage, your personal reaction time, and how well you 60'. Just keep gradually backing up your timing on the tree till you find a sweet spot.

I chase time slips, and usually just sit and wait for the other car to leave - I feel better when I can see where they are on the track, rather than having them behind me.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
Maroon 6.2L SS

acammer, I hear ya. I wish I was a chaser!!! I dialed in at 12.85 (dialed up a tad) Sunday and raced a guy dialed at 11.50 (in sportsmans class, that was the max they could dial). I had him 7/8ths of the track. I pedaled at the last minute and stayed ahead of him a foot maybe 30yds away from the line but then he dropped on me right at the end. I broke out and he ran 11.507. It was pretty exciting!!!
Old 10-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Once the 3rd yellow lights up.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
As the 3rd light comes on, I am leaving. Shallow stage.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #6
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
acammer, I hear ya. I wish I was a chaser!!! I dialed in at 12.85 (dialed up a tad) Sunday and raced a guy dialed at 11.50 (in sportsmans class, that was the max they could dial). I had him 7/8ths of the track. I pedaled at the last minute and stayed ahead of him a foot maybe 30yds away from the line but then he dropped on me right at the end. I broke out and he ran 11.507. It was pretty exciting!!!
My buddy Zane has done a bunch of bracket racing his stick 5th gen this season. I'll shoot him this link, he might have some good input for you on what he does with the tree.

Bracket is pretty cool, it makes for amazing finishes. I don't really car for the delay box stuff, although I get how it's just an evolution of nailing that tree.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #7
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
If everything goes right, here is how I do it:

I stage as shallow as possible. I try to barely turn on the second bulb on the staging lights. I pre-load the drivetrain just as acammer has described in a bunch of the threads in this sub topic.

I start my pre-load hopefully just before (or just after) the first yellow bulb illuminates. In other words, don't sit there slipping the clutch as soon as both cars are staged if you are racing a 16 second car.

As soon as the 3rd amber light illuminates, I'm off the handbrake and hopefully letting the clutch slip enough that my RPMs stay in the healthy range as I launch. By the time I've rolled far enough to break the beams, the green light has hopefully only been on for 0.0xx seconds, but no longer than 0.15x, or I just lost the race.

I'm still working on it. When my staging routine gets interrupted (delay on the track, etc.) I usually screw something up. I treat it like a basketball free throw. Do everything, starting with my burnout exactly the same each time. When I'm dialed, I can win races. Usually I'm not as dialed as I'd like to be, but this is my first season of racing in 30 years, so I'm happy with the progress I've made.

Keep after it. I've looked at most of your posts in this section and it's obvious that you have the spirit. I was lucky enough to get into a small tight class of racers, and those guys helped me a bunch. The best help I got was from my imaginary internet friend acammer, who helped me immensely. Not only with racing, but also building my car. Otherwise, I would have been in here asking all of the same questions you are.

Keep at it and good luck.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA

Last edited by zlathim; 10-09-2019 at 06:09 PM.
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #8
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
mello yellow go on yellow...last yellow for me...got a .0015 one time...felt kinda good about it...rest of the run was sh!t tho...

oh...

proof...

Name:  0015 time slip.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  60.6 KB

it's also fun leavin on sleepers "cuss you know they are taking a quick look at you leavin which makes their RT slower still. I try to act like I have horse blinders on and it's just me and the tree.

l8tr

PEACE
Old 10-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #9
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Yup third yellow I usually launch it and hope it goes well

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
Maroon 6.2L SS

yah at milan dragway we have pro, super pro and sportsman. I run in the sportsman class. Max E.T 11.50. The guys in the pro class must me using something to help with R.T. On sunday when I was racing, there were two cars in the pro class that caught a perfect R.T (.000).
Old 10-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #11
Maroon 6.2L SS

zlathim, I'm the same way. I'm focused and ready to go, can't even hear people talking etc... If something happens on the track before I do the burnout I feel like everything is interrupted and I have to start over. The best part is when I get a guy beside me revving his engine or testing out his braking and torque coverter just before we leave the staging lanes (trying to intimidate). I don't even look at them, although I so badly want to.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #12
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Quote:
yah at milan dragway we have pro, super pro and sportsman. I run in the sportsman class. Max E.T 11.50. The guys in the pro class must me using something to help with R.T. On sunday when I was racing, there were two cars in the pro class that caught a perfect R.T (.000).

I've had 2 perfect reaction times, 0.000, in all the years I have been racing and they came on the same day. I was on that tree.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #13
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Here is a tip I was taught many years ago. Once you are staged, shallow is preferable, only look at the third yellow bulb, when it starts to light, you go. Don't follow the bulbs as they light, it will slow your reaction time.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #14
Crankshaft

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro ss
I used to practice counting to cut down on reaction time, I have gotten DQ'd because it's humanly impossible to have a reaction time as quick given that you are trying to go AT the same time as green. I taught my sister in law the trick and she also got disqualified for state swimming back in 2012.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote