Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 01-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Dowgg123

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
The ordering Process/Trad-in

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone on here know/went through trading in your previous car and ordering your camaro.
I will be trading in my jeep when The time comes for ordering my camaro. I work and need my car during the summer, and was wondering if I can just order the car (is there a deposit before the full down payment) before I trade in my jeep and trade it once the camaro comes in.

If anyone can maybe make it a little more clear for me that'd be great.
Dowgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Superfly1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT #2197
I bought my car off the lot, but investigated ordering before I did that. Most dealers won't give you a trade in value until your car shows up. They might give you an idea, but they will want to wait until you are ready to hand it over before they give you a final value.

As for a down payment, all the dealers I talked to wanted $500-1000 down payment at the time of ordering.

CAI intake | OBX LT Headers | Flowmaster AT Exhaust | Trifecta Tune | SS Rear Diff, Axles & Driveshaft
Zex 100 Shot Nitrous | Konig Airstrike Wheels | Custom Engine Cover, Fuse Box & Underhood Bowtie
Eibach Springs & SS Sway Bars
| BMR Strut Brace | Drake Shifter | Vitesse Paddles | 13.26 @ 105.88 mph
Superfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowgg123 View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone on here know/went through trading in your previous car and ordering your camaro.
I will be trading in my jeep when The time comes for ordering my camaro. I work and need my car during the summer, and was wondering if I can just order the car (is there a deposit before the full down payment) before I trade in my jeep and trade it once the camaro comes in.

Deposits vary by dealer. Some require one, some don't. I ask for $500/$1,000 and a credit check regardless if you finance w/ me or not. Deposits are refunded, should the customer back out of the deal, when the ordered car sells.

I also appraise the car at the time of the order and honor it, suject to a re-evaluation based upon miles, and any damage.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Dowgg123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
Deposits vary by dealer. Some require one, some don't. I ask for $500/$1,000 and a credit check regardless if you finance w/ me or not. Deposits are refunded, should the customer back out of the deal, when the ordered car sells.

I also appraise the car at the time of the order and honor it, suject to a re-evaluation based upon miles, and any damage.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Becka1988

Drives: Dream Girl 2011 1SS
I would NEVER trade in a car. Dealerships want to make money on reselling that car so they offer you the least amount they think you'll take. I personally am a talented amateur Craigslist salesperson and have sold 3 or 4 cars for my fam. and myself for WAYY more than trade in value! If you can wheel and deal, I'd recommend trying to sell the car yourself first and only as a last resort trade it in!
Becka1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
MrE

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Well, I can tell you my experience with doing this. I placed an order for my car back in August, and specifically told the dealer I would be doing a trade in. He informed me that there are two ways you can do it. First, you can trade it in at the time they take the deposit, guarantee the amount of money you get for your trade in. Or, you trade it in when you pick up your car.

I opted for the trade in at time of pick up. The dealer did warn me that you will lose a bit off the top end due to fluctuations in black book value. And, since my car was a non GM for the trade in, the dealer said they would have to auction my car. All in all, I lost about $1,400 off the trade in by waiting the additional 2 months from when they appraised it the first time, to the time of turn in. Why? Milage was the killer. I needed to keep my car until the Camaro came in as it was my daily vehicle.

So, I ended up putting a deposit of $500 down, and traded in once the car arrived. Just be up front with your dealer that you plan on trading in, and be aware that you will lose money most likely from the initial appraisal if you plan on driving your trade in while you wait for your new car.
Delivered to customer 11/24/09 - Happy ever since.
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becka1988 View Post
I would NEVER trade in a car. Dealerships want to make money on reselling that car so they offer you the least amount they think you'll take. I personally am a talented amateur Craigslist salesperson and have sold 3 or 4 cars for my fam. and myself for WAYY more than trade in value! If you can wheel and deal, I'd recommend trying to sell the car yourself first and only as a last resort trade it in!
In this case

I don't think their gonna make much from a 1999 Jeep Wrangler.

Unless it has extremely low miles and is in mint condition.
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I also had the same issue. I placed my order in May. My trade was a 2007 Corvette. In may there was still the problem with allocation. My Camaro would be in (best guess from the inventory manager) in September. Now, everyone knows selling a Corvette in May/June is MUCH easier than Sept/Oct. We appraised the car and they told me they would stand by that price until Sept. Well about a month after ordering my salesman sends me an email that someone was in looking for a 07 or newer black 6 speed manual Corvette so he referred him to me. Ended up selling outright for far more than the dealer offered me. Try the outright sale, if that doesnt fly, just trade.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
MrE

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becka1988 View Post
The thing is this. I weighed the pros/cons of selling private party. Since you've dealt with Craigslisters, I found this out in my brief experience. I had a couple of people that wanted a test drive that lacked license or proof of insurance. They tend to get bent out of shape when you ask for this before stepping into your vehicle, and I got the impression that it was an attempt to joy ride my car. I gave up and took the loss. Really wasn't worth the time and effort in my opinion. Glad it worked in your situation, but I wanted to avoid that headache.
Delivered to customer 11/24/09 - Happy ever since.
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn200 View Post
In this case

you would be amazed how well jeeps retain their value. I just sold my 1992 4.0L with 150,000 miles for $4,800.

it was is so/so shape.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Dowgg123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn200 View Post
In this case

87k miles.... 4k trade in value

After searching ebay and craigslist for the past couple of weeks, most are getting about 6k with 100k+ miles... so idk exactly what Im gonna do
Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
At least try to sell it yourself. if you can't then trade it.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
RCLapCar

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 HB/JB
A big question to ask yourself is how long can you go without a car. My car (new and old) is my daily driver and only car I own so being without a car was out of the question. My dealer appraised my cars trade in value with a guestimate of how many km's I would have in the approximate time I would get the Camaro. That is the amount I got for it when I picked up my car. Now if I could live without the car (or had a place to keep it while trying to get rid of it) I would have tried to do a sale myself and maybe get more than the trade in.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
Dare

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowgg123 View Post
Hello,

You can surely order the car and trade in when you go to pick up your car. But keep in keep in mind you will get the price attached to the car at THAT time, not anything quoted to you when you order the car (unless the dealer tells you that they will honor that price when you take delivery of the camaro; and in that case I'd get it in writing). As been said, deposits vary dealer to dealer. The dealer I ordered mine from had me put a $1,000 deposit. I doubt you will find any dealer that requires to put more then that down.

Quote:
Deposits are refunded, should the customer back out of the deal, when the ordered car sells.
Dowgg123, don't let any dealer tell you that. By law they have to refund your deposit should you opt out of the order. It is your money, and you are entitled to it when you want; whether it is the same minute you cancel the order or not - not no when this ordered car sells crap
2500 = Order Preferenced 1/26/10
3000 = Order Accepted by Production Control 1/27/10
3100 = Order Sequenced for Production 1/29/10
3300 = Order Scheduled for Production 1/29/10 (TPW 2/8/10)
3400 = Order Broadcast 1/30/10
3800 = Order Produced 2/11/10 #93182
4000 = Vehicle Available to Ship 2/17/10
4200 = Vehicle Shipped 3/1/10
5000 = Vehicle Delivered to Dealer 3/8/10
6000 = Delivered to Customer
3/9/10
Dare is offline   Reply With Quote