Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England

Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Best place to live in the Boston area?

Hey question for you all,

My wife might be taking a job in the Boston area. What is the best place to live in/around Boston?

The place she might be working at is located very close to M.I.T. Is it more practical to live in downtown Boston or is it feasible to live outside of Boston somewhere and commute in? What is the public transportation like?

Will it be possible to rent a place with a garage?

Thanks,

Todd.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
sailfan26
Camaro driver since 1975

Drives: 97 RS, 98 SS and 2010 LT/RS
Sounds like you might be looking in the Cambridge area. Living in Boston itself is very expensive. Add a garage and you might need Tom Brady's salary. Sorrounding cities like Somerville, Medford, Arlington, Newton etc are really nice. You can rent a garage with some units. Moving further out, inside 128 is pretty good too. Towns like Melrose, Wakefield, Quincy, Stoneham are real nice towns. Public Transportation is good. I use the Commuter rail to get into Boston, it's fine. My daughter used the "T" all the time when she was living in Cambridge to get everywhere. All depends what you're looking for. Do you want to be in the middle of all the action? Clubs, Resteraunts, Shows etc or do you want quiet.

You'll like it here! The shoreline is awesome, and the Mountains are less than 2 hours away.
sailfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
monstertodd

Cool, I figured Boston would be a neato place to live. I've always wanted to see Fenway park.

Well, we're both in our early 30's and both make a fair wage. I think we'd both like to be somewhat close to the action, but also not be living in a shoebox. I've been perusing the rentals on CL. It's definitely more expensive than living in San Diego! But we're looking for a 3/2 with a garage.

If we could live somewhat away from downtown, but her be able to commute in using public transportation, that would be pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfan26 View Post
Sounds like you might be looking in the Cambridge area. Living in Boston itself is very expensive. Add a garage and you might need Tom Brady's salary. Sorrounding cities like Somerville, Medford, Arlington, Newton etc are really nice. You can rent a garage with some units. Moving further out, inside 128 is pretty good too. Towns like Melrose, Wakefield, Quincy, Stoneham are real nice towns. Public Transportation is good. I use the Commuter rail to get into Boston, it's fine. My daughter used the "T" all the time when she was living in Cambridge to get everywhere. All depends what you're looking for. Do you want to be in the middle of all the action? Clubs, Resteraunts, Shows etc or do you want quiet.

You'll like it here! The shoreline is awesome, and the Mountains are less than 2 hours away.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT with silver rallys
I think you'll be better off living outside thre city and commuting in -- you get the best of both worlds that way - you can visit the city whenever you want and you don't have to deal with living right in the middle of it.
And I hate public transport but I don't think the trains around here are bad at all..
Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Other good towns outside of Boston, with easy access to the T (public transportation - commuter rail), would be Burlington, Wilmington, Billerica (a bit cheaper), Woburn. There are others too. There's no way you'll find something in or close to the city with a 2 or 3 car garage for anything nearly affordable. You'll have to look outside the city.

We've got a great group of Camaro folks here too, if you haven't figured that out already
Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
Havok

Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT RS
My sisters live in Newton (right near BC), and my brother in law works in cambridge. He got one of those T passes and I think it only takes him an hour to get to work by the T. Most of that he does reading etc, but if you were to drive it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

Newton is a pretty nice place to live, good school system. Little on the expensive side but most of Boston is.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Depends on how much $$ your willing to spend for convenience. I personally hate the city life -atleast living in it.You can easilly spend $3-$5k a month in there.Out side spot's are $1.5-$3k. I live 35 minutes from the city. Drive there everyday but come home to a relaxing are where you can't see your neighbors.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
sailfan26
Camaro driver since 1975

I think, no matter where you move. If you stay inside the Rte 128/95 belt, getting into town will be "easy" (tolerable). The "T" is effective. Inside the Rte 495 belt, you get more room, bang for the buck in rent, and still have access to the "T", although it's a longer ride. Traffic getting into Boston in the morning is pretty good from 5am thru 6am, then it builds pretty quickly. Getting out (by car), as we say "fuggetaboutit"...it's tuff. The "T" is the only way to go. Oh by the way the "T" is public transportation. To add to your thoughts. If you look at...say, Hingham/Quincy or Salem, you can ride the Ferries into Boston. It's fast, you're on the water, it's pretty fun and the views are awesome.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
monstertodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by molloni View Post
Other good towns outside of Boston, with easy access to the T (public transportation - commuter rail), would be Burlington, Wilmington, Billerica (a bit cheaper), Woburn. There are others too. There's no way you'll find something in or close to the city with a 2 or 3 car garage for anything nearly affordable. You'll have to look outside the city.

We've got a great group of Camaro folks here too, if you haven't figured that out already
He he, I meant 3 bedroom, 2 bath, with a garage.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
monstertodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
I think you'll be better off living outside thre city and commuting in -- you get the best of both worlds that way - you can visit the city whenever you want and you don't have to deal with living right in the middle of it.
And I hate public transport but I don't think the trains around here are bad at all..
I definitely agree here. I like being close to things, but I really don't want to live inside the city. I'd rather have a comfortable, affordable house than a loft or something downtown. And I'm sure paying for parking down by M.I.T. is outrageous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
My sisters live in Newton (right near BC), and my brother in law works in cambridge. He got one of those T passes and I think it only takes him an hour to get to work by the T. Most of that he does reading etc, but if you were to drive it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

Newton is a pretty nice place to live, good school system. Little on the expensive side but most of Boston is.
What is the T Pass? Is that like unlimited rides for XX dollars a month? How is the security on those trains? Is crime a big deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Depends on how much $$ your willing to spend for convenience. I personally hate the city life -atleast living in it.You can easilly spend $3-$5k a month in there.Out side spot's are $1.5-$3k. I live 35 minutes from the city. Drive there everyday but come home to a relaxing are where you can't see your neighbors.
Ya, definitely not spending 3-5K a month in rent. Out of the question. I spend $1400 a month now for a 2 bed, 1 bath, with a garage. I'm looking at $1500-$2500 a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfan26 View Post
I think, no matter where you move. If you stay inside the Rte 128/95 belt, getting into town will be "easy" (tolerable). The "T" is effective. Inside the Rte 495 belt, you get more room, bang for the buck in rent, and still have access to the "T", although it's a longer ride. Traffic getting into Boston in the morning is pretty good from 5am thru 6am, then it builds pretty quickly. Getting out (by car), as we say "fuggetaboutit"...it's tuff. The "T" is the only way to go. Oh by the way the "T" is public transportation. To add to your thoughts. If you look at...say, Hingham/Quincy or Salem, you can ride the Ferries into Boston. It's fast, you're on the water, it's pretty fun and the views are awesome.
This sounds like a viable option. Since my wife is the one who will be commuting, I won't really have to worry about it. I just want to ensure that if she chooses to use the "T" pass that it will be safe and reliable.

How long are the ferry rides?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Havok

Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
What is the T Pass? Is that like unlimited rides for XX dollars a month? How is the security on those trains? Is crime a big deal?

Basicaly for $59 a month you can ride the T as many times as you want. It's $2 each way normally. So after 30 round trips it basically pays for itself.

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/subway/

As for the crime, I don't know that much, but when I've taken the T (basically either to BC, or to Fenway Park) I haven't had any problems, or seen anything. Most of the people in the Newton Area are college kids (BC and BU), or workers so you don't get that many problems. I don't know about any of the inner city stops where you'll get more of the everday people.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT with silver rallys
I've taken the train into Boston from Shirley/Garder and never had a problem -- I was never alone persay but....I never felt "skeeved out" or unsafe.....
I've gone a few times with friends at night too and it was the same....

Porbably shold consider scoping out the T stations in areas you might consider moving too -- just to check how the lighting is and how safe they "feel" since, in the winter, it's darker then sht out at like 4pm here so....
Wouldn't want to have the wife getting off the train in the dark in a scary 'hood....

I haven't been into Boston in awhile now though....might be going soon with my sister and her kids to check out the freedom trails - she's teaching them about them so....
Old 08-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
sailfan26
Camaro driver since 1975

Ferry rides are probably around 45 minutes. Depending how far away. They drop you off downtown and from there you pick up the buses or subway.

Crime? I agree with Havok, doesn't seem there's that many problems. The "T" is pretty safe. As I said before, my duaghter used the "T" alot, all over Boston for 4 years. Neer had a problem.

I also hear tell, the Camaro owners in the Boston area are amongst the friendliest too
Old 08-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
Pamaro
Litho recipient #191

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM w/white hockey & hoods
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
I've been perusing the rentals on CL. It's definitely more expensive than living in San Diego!
MORE expensive than San Diego??? How the heck is that possible? California is one of the most expensive places I've ever been!

God Bless Texas! Affordable housing is one of our claims to fame!