Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #15
MikeGstayUp

Drives: 2013 SS in the future
Looks really good to me! Thank you for sharing and posting all of the comparison pictures.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
WOW.. Opened my eyes up!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #17
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Out of stock.

I will keep checking. I was looking for something like this.

Tell me one thing... will they work with the stock RS DRL harness? I mean just work as stock DRLs? I am assuming that the harness mods you guys are doing are only to get them to come on with other lights and are not required to make them work.

Thanks for the tip.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
Ph4r
Top Down Fun

Drives: 11 2SS/RS IOM Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Out of stock.

Tell me one thing... will they work with the stock RS DRL harness? I mean just work as stock DRLs? I am assuming that the harness mods you guys are doing are only to get them to come on with other lights and are not required to make them work.

Thanks for the tip.
Yes, they work great with the stock Harness. I did my modification just because I love the look of Halo's and DRL's on together, and so that I don't lose my DRL's when my High-Beams are on. I want to be able to see Deer Crossing the Road as early as possible.

Daily Driver: 2016 Ford Fusion Titanium with 2 car seats in the back!
Ph4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #19
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4r View Post
Yes, they work great with the stock Harness. I did my modification just because I love the look of Halo's and DRL's on together, and so that I don't lose my DRL's when my High-Beams are on. I want to be able to see Deer Crossing the Road as early as possible.
Thanks for the info.

I hope they get them back in stock soon!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #20
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDivide View Post
Looks good. I am more concerned w/ all the AAC problems/complaints I've read than the color. I also thought AAC was the only game in town on these. Good to see an option.
The AAC lights was one of my first mods... Have had them for about 9 months now. No issues at all... LOVE them...
2016 C7 DSOM
2012 2SS yellow vert
2017 2LT Krypton Green
2018 2LT Hot wheels crush
2020 2SS Shock vert.
2017 2SS Krypton Green coupe
Zapote21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #21
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4r View Post
I'm no lighting expert, but here is what I think about #1, perhaps it is a diffusion thing as the Halo Ring diffuses that LED, and the Projector Diffuses the HID's. Off-Axis Color does seem to be a noticeable blue, like if you look at the ground directly below the lamps, I can sometimes see some Blue Light coming out. I might try some clear shower privacy vinyl and see if it makes a difference?

As for #2, if yours is loose to the housing, I'd suggest doubling up the O-Rings. As in remove the O-Ring from the stock bulb and roll it all the way down to the base of the new bulb. I will say that with these bulbs the plugs did not snap in all the way, but they were very snug fitting on the socket.
1) I don't know the exact reason behind it, but these V-leds bulbs actually seem to emit a light with a slightly bluer hue than the stock HIDs. I purchased these bulbs because V-leds rates them as 5000K and I figured they'd be a closer match to the stock 4300K HIDs. On the other hand, I think I've read somewhere that AAC's are rated around 6000K. After installing these and looking at them first hand both during the day and night, however, now I'm not sure whether AAC's newest plasmas are really bluer than these or just as blue. They both seem to be bluer than the HIDs. In any case, they definitely look better than the stock amber ones.
Did you try the clear shower privacy vinyl after all? If so, what difference did it make?

2) Thanks for the suggestion. I cut the zip ties I had tied together to hold the bulb/connector in place and instead installed the stock bulb's o-ring over the existing o-ring. The fitment is a lot tighter. My plugs did not snap or lock either. I hope they are a snug enough fitment to not disconnect after enough road vibration over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Out of stock.

Thanks for the tip.
Yes, as already mentioned previously, these will work fine with the stock RS DRL harness. However, I've read about LEDs dying prematurely due to the PWM signal the DRL circuit sends. I don't know the details of each, but apparently you have several options to prevent this from happening:

1) Purchase LEDs which have a built-in voltage regulator
2) Add a diode to the DRL wiring
3) Purchase an additional plug-n-play wiring harness

Last edited by Klepton; 04-05-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #22
Ph4r
Top Down Fun

Drives: 11 2SS/RS IOM Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepton View Post
Did you try the clear shower privacy vinyl after all? If so, what difference did it make?
Not yet... I just took my car apart to install more lighting mods.

Daily Driver: 2016 Ford Fusion Titanium with 2 car seats in the back!
Ph4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #23
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Thanks for the link and the option. Unfortunately, I already have the AAC plasma's and they are better than stock, but they are BLUE and AAC keeps saying they aren't! I don't know why they can't match the HID's. AAC has great customer service, but I am unhappy with the color of thier plasma's.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #24
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
My pictures...you be the judge.

Halos + Stock DRLs:
Name:  IMG_0706.jpg
Views: 4905
Size:  105.9 KB

Halos + V-leds DRLs (you can see that the blueish LED does not match the white Halo):
Name:  IMG_0705.jpg
Views: 5549
Size:  99.4 KB

All lights with stock DRLs:
Name:  IMG_0709.jpg
Views: 4854
Size:  103.4 KB

All lights with V-leds DRLs (you can see that they are slightly bluer than the HIDs, but a much closer match):
Name:  IMG_0708.jpg
Views: 4904
Size:  98.2 KB

All lights with V-leds fogs at night (crappy picture, but you can see they don't look too blue or out of place):
Name:  IMG_0711.jpg
Views: 4725
Size:  138.0 KB
Klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #25
jsherm007
Always drop the top

Drives: 2014 Stingray Vert 2LT z51
I bought a set of P13W lights to replace mine, not from OP vendor, and they work great but won't 'snap' into lighting socket. Wondering if this is normal for aftermarket bulbs? I'm waiting to hit a bump and have the clip come off!
jsherm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #26
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
I have these too and they're a gorgeous awesome product.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #27
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
How are these holding up?

Trying to figure out if these require a voltage regulator like what AAC installs on theirs.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #28
BilJ

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
How are these holding up?

Trying to figure out if these require a voltage regulator like what AAC installs on theirs.
I've been wondering the same thing....anyone know?
BilJ is offline   Reply With Quote