Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #15
marcgo2

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
This all sounds like bad news for the Camaro, MY 2020 the last?
Old 04-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #16
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
It takes a lot more to kill off an icon than a fusion.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #17
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Eh, they didn't make exciting cars anyway. Their cars had laughable interior room and horrific resale value.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:51 AM   #18
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Man you folks jump to conclusions quick. This is far from the demise of the muscle-sports car. This is a market indicator based on the needs of the consumer (i.e. larger vehicle) where a significant ROI can be obtained.

There will always be a niche market for the small volume sports car like the Camaro and Mustang. Just like there will always be a market for the luxury sports car.

The intermediate and full size sedan category is the entirely too flooded. The Impala, Fusion, Cruze, etc. are struggling mightily against the likes of the Accord, Civic and Camry. Where Ford and GM has a leg up on their competitors is in the SUV segment, so why not capitalize on it? This move makes perfect sense given the current state of the automotive industry. It doesn’t mean that Ford will never sell another mid-size or full size sedan at some point when the market dictates the need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #19
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I don't see it - just 2 car models, Mustang & Focus & the rest Trucks & SUVs
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #20
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Just a Reminder

When making new threads, please remember to do the following:

1) Check if you're in the proper section of the site for that topic
2) Make sure that nobody else has already made a thread on that topic

-DG
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #21
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Man you folks jump to conclusions quick. This is far from the demise of the muscle-sports car. This is a market indicator based on the needs of the consumer (i.e. larger vehicle) where a significant ROI can be obtained.

There will always be a niche market for the small volume sports car like the Camaro and Mustang. Just like there will always be a market for the luxury sports car.

The intermediate and full size sedan category is the entirely too flooded. The Impala, Fusion, Cruze, etc. are struggling mightily against the likes of the Accord, Civic and Camry. Where Ford and GM has a leg up on their competitors is in the SUV segment, so why not capitalize on it? This move makes perfect sense given the current state of the automotive industry. It doesn’t mean that Ford will never sell another mid-size or full size sedan at some point when the market dictates the need.

My fear is that they won't be able to get back to midsize cars quick enough if that is what the market dictates. This to me has history repeating itself but instead of the domestic automakers making shitty cars, they will be making no cars lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #22
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgo2 View Post
Camaro could goto the Y-body platform when Corvette goes mid-engine.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Ford paring down the passenger car offerings makes sense. But only offering the Mustang & a version of the Focus that will be trying to disguise itself as a crossover is going too far, in my opinion. There should still be a midsizer in the lineup. Maybe make it a 'midsize +' so that its acceptable to the remnants of the full-size market who don't want a crossover.

And the small car should be a small car. Anyone who actually wants a small crossover can buy one. But the ones that want a car ... want a fricken car! I bet half the Bolt's sales problem is because its a car pretending to be a crossover, and as a result its body style appeals to approximately nobody.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #24
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Ford paring down the passenger car offerings makes sense. But only offering the Mustang & a version of the Focus that will be trying to disguise itself as a crossover is going too far, in my opinion. There should still be a midsizer in the lineup. Maybe make it a 'midsize +' so that its acceptable to the remnants of the full-size market who don't want a crossover.

And the small car should be a small car. Anyone who actually wants a small crossover can buy one. But the ones that want a car ... want a fricken car! I bet half the Bolt's sales problem is because its a car pretending to be a crossover, and as a result its body style appeals to approximately nobody.
I get what they are doing it's smart, wish GM would use that same logic they've gotten FAT again and are at risk of another meltdown.... GM shed entire brands some that weren't what they used to be i'll admit that and they are killing a few models off this year in the car segment and small SUV segment thank god.

As far as what they are keeping they worded that cleverly. Mustang well that's a no brainer but when they said Focus crossover and didn't say they were discontinuing the models, they're killing them from U.S. markets, that struck me as a light bulb legal read between the lines comment. The Focus already is a crossover in a lot of ways. When they say crossover I don't think they mean a SUV/Sedan crossover the old Focus ZX3's were literally a small minivan you don't get much more crossover then that. Granted the design and niche has changed overtime but I imagine they will be keeping the Focus, Focus ST and probably the Focus RS. You see more and more of those "cars" then most other ford models on the road cept maybe in the south where mullets and mustangs still reign.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #25
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
it will be interesting to see what happens if gas prices suddenly jump to $4-5 a gallon...

i agree that those who are seeing this as a big problem are thinking a little too extreme. its purely a shift to more profitable models and in the process what does not sell well is going to be cut.

i would imagine the tooling should be similar between available models and those that are cut so if the market starts demanding small cars and hatchbacks it should be an easy shift. if the tooling isnt the same they have factories across the globe that still produce small cars and can quickly ship some to the states if demand comes up.

they would just need to keep the 'car' models up-to-date as 'global cars' so they can be sold in the USA without many revisions to styling or features.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #26
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
My fear is that they won't be able to get back to midsize cars quick enough if that is what the market dictates. This to me has history repeating itself but instead of the domestic automakers making shitty cars, they will be making no cars lol

I believe automakers, and many companies in general, have gotten much better at their ability to forecast due to the amount of data that’s collected these days.

My issue would be that Ford’s internal data from cars would diminish by virtue of as many simply not being on the road. What would this mean for engineers? I mean is it possible to have not sold a car in the US for 3-5 yrs and have the first one you make be any good? I don’t know. Even an athlete still has to workout right?

ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #27
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgo2 View Post
Uh, Ford is KEEPING production of the Mustang.

That bodes well for Camaro.

Everyone who wants their SUVs are going to get their SUVs. Even back in the original muscle car era there were still plenty of LTD Country Squires and Caprice Estate wagons sold.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #28
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
And if you are hungry for a sedan, Mazda just came out with a turbo model 6.
But it's Auto/FWD... a shell of its former self, the AWD manual trans only Mazdaspeed6
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote