Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #1
Baggerjack

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Dyno vs. Hand Held

I have a 2014 2SS/RS/1LE and will be adding LT and high flow cats. I live in Virginia and have to go through emissions. I will need to tune to eliminate the CELs from the LT's, but am trying to determine if I should Dyno or just get a hand held scanner. I would like to be able to put the stock tune back if I'm going to the dealership for anything. Look forward to everyone's advice.

Thanks
Crystal Red Tintcoat, NPP, Recaro Seats, Sunroof and SLP Skip Shift, ZL1 rockers, TSP Stage 4 "F35" cam, PRC 260cc heads, GPI radically ported LS3 Intake, K&N CAI and JDP Motorsports Stage 2 Clutch Reservoir Kit, TSP Longtubes, off road connectors and high flow cats, aFe POWER Solid Subframe mounts, Brembo 6 piston calipers and two piece rotors
Baggerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
The handheld will allow you to return to stock at will but don't think that will help in the event of a warranty claim especially a serious one. GM can read the number of flash counts on the car and will know its been tuned if they decide to check for that. If a motor fails they would check & know. But your car is a 14 so its already proven its reliable IMHO.

That said your mods are minor so a SCTX4 would be fine for those. Dynosteve on here did my car with one of those and it runs strong. He is awesome to deal with so he gets my vote!
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Depending on the level of mods you want to go would be my deciding factor. With what you have and LT you could do scanner or just a street tune if you don't care about dyno numbers. Typically dyno is $100 more than street tune where I've been
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
Baggerjack

I will probably end of going with the SCTx4. I really haven't done much in mods and will consider a dyno tune later down the road when I do more engine mods.
Crystal Red Tintcoat, NPP, Recaro Seats, Sunroof and SLP Skip Shift, ZL1 rockers, TSP Stage 4 "F35" cam, PRC 260cc heads, GPI radically ported LS3 Intake, K&N CAI and JDP Motorsports Stage 2 Clutch Reservoir Kit, TSP Longtubes, off road connectors and high flow cats, aFe POWER Solid Subframe mounts, Brembo 6 piston calipers and two piece rotors
Old 05-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Baggerjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
But your car is a 14 so its already proven its reliable IMHO.

My car only has 15,500 miles on it and I do have an extended warranty.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
qcman

I tuned mine around 20,000 or perhaps a little less about 2.5 or more years ago. But what you are going to do will void your warranty IMO. Not just the tune but the headers too.

So in the end it comes down to risk versus reward. I chose to risk my warranty and do what I did as I wasn't happy with the car before tuning. So it was either sell it or risk the warranty & I wisely (for me) chose the latter.

In the end it comes down to your level of comfort. All this said if your dealer is open minded about mods that could help a great deal but in the event of a serious failure GM gets the last word it seems. So I would say make a decision that works for you. Some may disagree with what I'm saying I suppose but that's okay. Maybe some others will chime in. But to me we mod it we own it
Old 05-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
Baggerjack

I appreciate the advice and I’ve already pulled the plug on the headers and cats. I do have a shop I can go to where I have a friend who is a mechanic there and he is actually installing the headers. Looks like a tune is in my future.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggerjack View Post
I appreciate the advice and I’ve already pulled the plug on the headers and cats. I do have a shop I can go to where I have a friend who is a mechanic there and he is actually installing the headers. Looks like a tune is in my future.
No problem. Yeah the tune will shut the CEL off and it will ensure you get the most from your new headers and hi flos too. I'm officially out of any warranty now due to time on my car but I can understand its a tougher choice when you have an extended one on the car now.