Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #169
gm4life05sle

Drives: Torrent, Bonneville, Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
I thought I'd return to the thread I started just to let all of you know I ordered a manual. Just seems like the LS3 has a crap load of mods out already and who knows about that L99 thing.
Glad to hear that you selected what you wanted. With the launch control feature a manual is more tempting... Any more advice for me? Still trying to make up my mind.

2007 Pontiac Torrent FWD
2005 Chevrolet Impala LS
2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan
Coming someday... A 5th Gen Camaro SS
gm4life05sle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #170
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
I need help. I can't decide if I should get the automatic or manual.
I'll make it REAL easy for you....

If you can afford it get the auto.

When your stuck in traffic you'll thank me.

You have driven a stick I assume? You would know if you liked / wanted it by now. I drove over half a million miles on RX7's with 5 speed so it's not like I don't know how to drive a stick. Just bones get old... and I like the GM auto's they run strong.

I am getting a lvl 3 raptor from PATC for my vette soon. Complete with Raptor blood (point being there are performance options for auto's too).
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #171
robby

Drives: 02 B4C 6M
I well understand the confusion.
Others mentioned and I agree, if your doing a lot of stop and go the auto is easier to deal with.
If you are blessed w/ a fair amount of country 2 lane and Inter-state with reasonably light traffic you might find the 6M a joy.
From the driving involvement standpoint, you really can't beat the control a manual provides.
If you are calm and short shift it you will often exceed the automatics mileage numbers, sometimes as much as 2/3 M.P.G.
My 02 is a 6M, but, for me, it's an occasional car, not my DD, so the above situations don't come into play (rush hour traffic etc.)
I however, really enjoy the involvement the manual requires.

My thoughts,
Rob
robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #172
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
I'm getting the stick mainly because I just think I'd enjoy it more than the auto. I think the bottem line on buying the damn car is enjoyment. I don't think anyone here can justify buying the car cause its economical, can haul your family or tow your boat.

Also, the LS3 engine, cause its been in the vette for so long now, has a ton of proven mods for rather cheap than can really make the car push out some big HP and still be driven daily.

I'm curious if the L99 can be modified as easily as the LS3.
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 AM   #173
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
...I'm curious if the L99 can be modified as easily as the LS3.
short answer... pretty much.

there's a few discussions around here on that topic. it's late & i don't feel like compiling a list here, so i'll let you find them either with the or in this forum
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #174
Rahn
Tinman

Drives: 07 Sky - 10 Camaro SS2
I'm glad I'm wasn't the only one with that dilemma.... however I received some good advice from another thread. When I'm at the dealer...I'm going to flip a coin and let fate decide.

Either way I should be pleased. As long as it's a 2SS, RS w/ SR and black or any other color.
Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #175
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
I still say Auto....JMO....again...
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #176
JonJuice

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeermanSS View Post
If you actually take care of your car, the maintainance on a auto is higher. What are you talking about changing a clutch on a manual at a recommended 50k. Do you guys not know anything about cars? Are any of you real car guys? Maintain your car properly. Change your auto fluid at recommended intervals. Don't be one of those retards that runs 100k on it. Listen, decide whatever you want. But don't make statements like these. Yeah if I don't maintain it properly, and its a car where the manual costs more, and assuming he never has to rebuild the auto for having done so, and blah blah blah. Of course it'll cost less, my god. I'm talking about a car guy, who maintains his cars properly. It will cost him less for a manual than an auto. But I will agree with this. If you can't drive a manual, don't get one.
If i don't know how. how long will it take to learn to master it? im getting an SS
JonJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #177
Atomic Autosports

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey SS/RS LS3
You will never get your answer...those of us who like the stick will tell you its better and more fun...most who have the auto will tell you the same thing. My opinion is look back at past cars and try to remember what was more fun to drive....Manual or auto....good luck.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #178
rudack
Rudack

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to rudack Send a message via MSN to rudack
Stick, go for the LS3 you will be happy!
ABM 2SS/RS #33390
rudack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #179
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
I can "get where im going" with a stick but its a rough ride, and im very scared ill burn the clutch on the beautiful new camaro.

I also feel shifting is a bit of a pain in the ass at times... Will that get better as time goes on? Some people say they dont even think about it.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #180
FAF

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2008 Tundra
sick to LS3 you wont regret it.
FAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #181
Standard

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
I can "get where im going" with a stick but its a rough ride, and im very scared ill burn the clutch on the beautiful new camaro.

I also feel shifting is a bit of a pain in the ass at times... Will that get better as time goes on? Some people say they dont even think about it.
Don't worry too much about this.

Here is some advice:

Learn to drive stick. There are theories behind it, including the absolute truism that you have to think an extra 2 seconds ahead. But eventually you'll get it by feel. As a more advanced exercise, learn to rev-match to truly understand your machine - that will let you do things like a 6th-3rd shift without the passengers feeling it (out of 6th, rev up to right spot, into 3rd. . . . )

The hardest thing if you're really new is casually launching, particularly on a hill where you may have to mix in handbrake use. But learning this won't mess up your car too much.

The real damage comes from doing hard power launches. Don't do these until you are comfortable doing normal driving as second nature. Otherwise, your chance of big pointless clutch-burns (with no actual good launch) is very very high.
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #182
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
And don't do what I did when I drove my buddy's manual focus for the first time. It's not good when after 40 minutes of driving around you smell something, look down, and realize the parking brake is still engaged! Whoops! Not used to using that thing on an auto haha.
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote