Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
65Elco

Drives: 65 Elcamino
GM BANKRUPTCY/ COMPANY SPLIT

Just read this on http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0090408?rpc=44

GM FACES BANKRUPTCY

Alcoa's fellow Dow component, General Motors (GM.N), has racked up billions of dollars in losses as auto sales slump, forcing it to go to taxpayers for a bailout.

The company was now in "intense" and "earnest" preparations for a possible bankruptcy filing, a source familiar with GM's plans told Reuters on Tuesday.

A plan to split GM into a "new" company made up of the most successful units, and an "old" one of its less-profitable parts, is gaining momentum and is seen as the most sensible configuration, said another source familiar with the talks.

GM, operating on $13.4 billion of government loans since the start of the year, has until June 1 to complete a reorganisation plan or face bankruptcy, Washington has told the company.

Some analysts and policymakers worry the failure of a company as large and far-reaching as GM could have dire repercussions for the broader economy and already weak consumer confidence.
65Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
65Elco

Drives: 65 Elcamino
GM will come threw by June 1st!
65Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Killer CamAro

Drives: 06 cobalt ss, 1968 camaro ss
I wonder what the names could be if GM actually split?...
Old 04-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
GMC and Chevrolet
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
CommandoSS

Drives: 05 Chevy Avalanche, 67 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam2fst4u View Post
GMC and Chevrolet
and cadillac and buick
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
Kwaz1335
The Kwaz

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Kwaz1335
Rumour is that GM will be divided into 2 companies with the better brands such as Chevy GMC and Cadillac and others being one company and the brands that are not doing so well such as Hummer, Saab, Pontiac and Saturn being the other
Kwaz1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Only one thing is certain throughout all of this: Chevrolet and Cadillac will survive. And although in previous statements GM has maintained Buick, Pontiac, and GMC will also remain, I have doubts about that.

If Chevy and Cadillac are all that's left after the dust clears, I forsee the new company being called the Chevrolet Motor Company.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
TBM

Drives: '01 Z71, '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaz1335 View Post
Rumour is that GM will be divided into 2 companies with the better brands such as Chevy GMC and Cadillac and others being one company and the brands that are not doing so well such as Hummer, Saab, Pontiac and Saturn being the other

Makes sense.............they could have figured that out without taxpayer money.
TBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Elco View Post
Just read this on http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0090408?rpc=44

GM FACES BANKRUPTCY

Alcoa's fellow Dow component, General Motors (GM.N), has racked up billions of dollars in losses as auto sales slump, forcing it to go to taxpayers for a bailout.

The company was now in "intense" and "earnest" preparations for a possible bankruptcy filing, a source familiar with GM's plans told Reuters on Tuesday.

A plan to split GM into a "new" company made up of the most successful units, and an "old" one of its less-profitable parts, is gaining momentum and is seen as the most sensible configuration, said another source familiar with the talks.

GM, operating on $13.4 billion of government loans since the start of the year, has until June 1 to complete a reorganisation plan or face bankruptcy, Washington has told the company.

Some analysts and policymakers worry the failure of a company as large and far-reaching as GM could have dire repercussions for the broader economy and already weak consumer confidence.
I really REALLY hope this happens. It would create a very lean and mean new GM that consists of Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC. 90% of GMs revenue comes from those 4 brands. That company would be almost instantly profitable. I don't care what happens with the rest like Pontiac, Hummer, Saab, etc.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
countryguy05

Drives: 86 Black Silverado K30
I actually watched a whole news cast about this today, forgot the channel but they talked for over an hour about it. From what i watched, According to legal sources around GM, IF they have to go to bankruptcy they would for sure sell off/let go of Hummer and Saturn and for sure keep Chevy, GMC, Cadillac under the GM name, almost certainly keep Buick as well and if they can keep Pontiac. It shouldn't be a surprise about them letting go of Hummer as they have been trying to sell it off for a while now. As for splitting off as a second company to keep the the other brands it doesn't look likely, with the way things are going if they have to do this they wouldn't just transfer the debt brands (well brand really) to another company to go through the same trials, they would just try and get rid of it.
countryguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #11
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Yea my suggestion is to consolidate to just Chevy and Caddy. Buick and Pontiac, GMC are dead weight.. just stickers and bumpers.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #12
PewterPhil

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
It is a bittersweet situation. One the one hand it would be great if GM could restructure to cut costs and debt and become the lean mean machine that we all know it can be. On the other hand, I hate to see the good people that work on the production lines (folks like the Mole) loose their hard earned benefits, endure reductions in salary, and in several cases be forced to retire with a cheesy severence package. I am quite sure that the vast majority of the folks that loose their job in a bankruptcy will not be in a position to kick back and retire.

If GM can come through this without ruining the lives of the people who have worked for the company for multiple decades, then more power to them. I just dont see that happening.

All that being said, bankruptcy is inevitible. Thousands and thousands of people had better be looking for alternate employment because they will be loosing their jobs in the near future.

It makes worrying about when our Camaros will finally get here seem pretty materialistic and I am just as guilty of this as everyone else. :(
3000 = Accepted By Production Control: 3/28/2009
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 5/9/2009
3400 = Broadcast:5/13/2009
3800 = Produced: 5/22/2009
4150 = Invoiced: 5/25/2009
4200 = Shipped: 5/25/2009
5000 = Delivered To Dealer: 6/9/2009

Ordered: Victory red, black stripes, RS/SS auto, sunroof, painted engine cover.
PewterPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:07 AM   #13
Rockies4

Drives: PT Cruiser 02
Cross your fingers that nothing slows down production.

Everyone in Canada keep going. Please.
Rockies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:12 AM   #14
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Not that I don't agree with numbers, because as long as they are honest they don't lie. But...

Why is it that it seems like every other 4th car I see on the road is a Pontiac?

I hope Buick survives. There is tradition there I like, not to mention they are one of the most profitable car companies in China. ...And I do beleive their auto market is out performing ours currently.
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote