Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
dgray1971

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Camaro
Angry L99 engine issues

OK, so I have a 2014 2ss/Rs L99. This thing gave me zero issues til about a month or so ago. Rolling down the highway & all of a sudden the Service Stabilitrack light came on & then the traction control.
ok, i start to pull over, rough stopping. Engine feels rough. I'm literally stuck on the highway so I limp off & get to where I can pull over. Running very rough, low power & engine making a ticking noise. Greaaaat. SO I have it towed in to the dealership They have it for a week or 2 before we get things hammered out financial wise & come back with the entire right bank of the AFM is trashed, . Said left was pristine. ok.... odd...
They replace all that & i get it back. It runs like a dream all the way home & I'm happy.
It sits the next day then I decide to take it out again. I stop to get gas & notice when I restart, it is a bit slow to fully turn over. Not much, just have to hold the key a second or so longer. Hmm....I notice my battery voltage on the pod is between 12 & 13. Seems it usually runs about 13.5-14.
OK, it sat a bit, maybe battery is weak now....
Go on down the road. I look down & its at 12. weird....then the stabilitrack light comes on again & shes running rough. I get over, cussing & cursing..
Turn it off. Decide to try again, just for fun....starts up perfectly, no issues. I put it in drive & not even a 1/4 mile it does it all over again. Lights on, engine rough, like its jerking all over the place, ticking noise.. So I have it towed back to dealership. Many curse words ensued while waiting for a tow...,
They determine that the VLOM assembly they replaced was bad & ordered another.
Well that came in & was not the answer. At this point they have no idea what is wrong with this car. Any thoughts? Ideas? I'm at a loss.
dgray1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
EJSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
What codes are you getting? If you havent scanned all of the car's modules that is definately the first step.
EJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Damn. I am imagining what this has already cost you and wondering if having it converted to LS3 would have saved you a lot of future heartache. At the very least, AFM delete.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
bayarea408

Drives: T
Sounds like electrical stuff. I would pop the trunk and look at your batt terminals. Often times a battery can do that nasty dusty white battery acid crust on the terminals and this if left long will cake to the point where its having a problem maintaining a charge from the alternator, hence your low and dropping voltage. Or your battery is toast, new cars do all kind of odd things when low on power.

This same situation left me stranded this weekend at 2am on the freeway. I ripped the battery out went home in a uber and returned with water and baking soda dipped the terminals and she fired up brand new.

As the Voltage kept dropping all sorta crazy electrical things started happening. Headlights died, stereo died, car started sputtering...
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
It really urks me when dealers throw parts at problems that don't fix anything. I feel like they end up creating more issues molesting the car. You'd think dealers would be skilled enough to diagnose and make accurate repairs. Nope, not in my experience, they're just a bunch of hacks speed wrenching to make a buck.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
The only way I would let a dealer work on a vehicle is if was done under warranty.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
imponte

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
I have a same issue. But mine is appear only 4-5 seconds then it is disappear. It only occurs when using high-speed highway. (100-120 mph). I had AFM delete, you should do it too. Then check the spark plug and battery. Do you have long tube headers?
imponte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Diagnosis: you need to spend money at a speed shop that does electrical also and ditch AFM...…. you can get bad CEL and Stupiditrac lights for anything such as just a loose MAF with bad seal or loose TB, loose hose for catch can etc....Batteries get old and so do starters …… I use aftermarket, They have no idea what's wrong and are most likely idiots, My tuner tommy wong in Vancouver could 99.99999999 % fix it but he has two electrical engineering degrees..... Ticking noise is most likely lifters gone to hell from oil starvation from AFM function and the difference in half the lifters and etc....God Help you....
Old 10-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #9
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Diagnosis: you need to spend money at a speed shop that does electrical also and ditch AFM...…. you can get bad CEL and Stupiditrac lights for anything such as just a loose MAF with bad seal or loose TB, loose hose for catch can etc....Batteries get old and so do starters …… I use aftermarket, They have no idea what's wrong and are most likely idiots, My tuner tommy wong in Vancouver could 99.99999999 % fix it but he has two electrical engineering degrees..... Ticking noise is most likely lifters gone to hell from oil starvation from AFM function and the difference in half the lifters and etc....God Help you....

I honestly think, that a majority of issues people have, are from dealership or shop mechanics creating more issues from the work they've done prior. They get in there and fix one thing MAYBE, but create other issues from being sloppy with their work.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
It really urks me when dealers throw parts at problems that don't fix anything. I feel like they end up creating more issues molesting the car. You'd think dealers would be skilled enough to diagnose and make accurate repairs. Nope, not in my experience, they're just a bunch of hacks speed wrenching to make a buck.
I had the dealer fix an issue a year ago with my windows. It wound up being a ground wire that corroded and broke behind the drivers side kick panel.

They chased it for a week. It ONLY got diagnosed and fixed because a few other Camaro5.com members had the same issue and told me what to have them check. I went to the dealership once I found out to tell them... they had it fixed the next day.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #11
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yes, check the codes yourself and post them here or call the dealership and ask them specifically what codes are being pulled. I've had this same situation COUNTLESS times (LS3 engine). However, from my research, it seems these cars will go into limp mode (Reduced Engine Power) and Stabilitrak from the most little or random bull shit. For instance, mine is throttle body. I've had to take my throttle body off a clean a few times because it was throwing codes and went nuts. Definitely get the codes so you have somewhat of an idea of what is going on and what the dealership should be doing and hopefully doing. Plus you can find other people with the same codes on here as well that have had the issues (guarantee you're not the first case).
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ss, l99, vlom