Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
lee

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkySS View Post
I have 400 friends that help me with that issue, your 312 should help you as well
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #16
Rockies4

Drives: PT Cruiser 02
Adjust your mirrors out far enough, so you don't see the side of the Camaro.

You don't need to see the color of the paint!

Rockies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #17
VRMMMM

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
My driving instructor back in that day drilled into our heads: S.M.O.G Signal, look in your mirror, Over the shoulder (look), Go. I have never had one accident following this rule. Play safe!

Signal, Mirror, Over the shoulder, Go.
VRMMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #18
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
If you drive fast enough you will only have to worry about the guy in front of you
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #19
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkySS View Post
I have 400 friends that help me with that issue, your 312 should help you as well
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #20
mcarney

Drives: SSRS CGM LS3
I did this in my F-150 for all the little civics who liked to stay in my blind spots.

This technique works GREAT, while its super weird to get used to. I have absolutely no blind spots in the Camaro with this set up. You basically think of you mirrors as one giant mirror, rather than 3 separate mirrors with different angles of the same thing. Like I said it awkward at first but totally worth it in the long run.

Check out the full story at Car & Driver

mcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #21
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislhardin View Post
I love my Camaro, but I really hate the blind spot. Has anyone tried the little round mirrors from an autostore to stick on the side mirror or is there a better solution???
You could get a brand new civic instead, it is 90% windows. When you sit in a new civic you actually feel like you are riding a motorcycle.

Or maybe these:

They are on sale at JCWhitney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
I had to get my CDL's in a box van. The saying was 'never trust your mirrors'. Always give a quick peek back. You will get used to it. Just dont get lazy over time.
How many licenses do you have? I only have one CDL. J/k, I always find it funny when people say stuff like CDLs or Cams, etc.

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #22
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Ok here's the setup routine:

For your drivers side, lean you head practically against your drivers side window and adjust your mirror until you can almost not see the car's rear shoulder at all.

For the passenger side, position your head in the middle of the cabin, and then adjust that mirror the same as the other.

This should get you very close to eliminating blind spots. I did this, and I can literally see cars entering my side view mirrors as they are moving out of my rear view mirror visability and by the time they leave my side mirror visability I can see them through the window

Only downside of this, is you can no longer use your mirrors for backing up...but I'd rather have that problem than sideswipe someone going down the road.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #23
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
The small blind spot mirrors help. I have (had) them on every vehicle I own - including all my motorcycles. It even helps when backing up to see the lines on the ground in parking lots. I highly recommend them - also, adjusting your mirrors properly as already stated above.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #24
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: '69 442 Vert
Of course I carefully check the mirrors, but to be extra safe I accelerate into another lane. The car is quick enough to take the spot that you can see. Why drift over?

Years ago, I saw a black Camaro with T tops gently weaving through I-275 traffic. A car in the lane next to him accelerated just enough to clip him behind the rear tire. Kinda like the cops are trained to do. The Camaro ended up in the median, flipping over on the glass tops. Nobody hurt real bad, but they got cut up by the glass.

That's why I accelerate into the open spot that I can clearly see is open.

Plus.... It just feels good!
Toyaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #25
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
solution---convertible with top down.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #26
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
YOU will have to seat in the car and adjust the mirrors in a way that you just miss the rear hips [top of the rear fenders and you will know where you are and what is around you [next lane] i set my like this and works well
This was suggested when I got the car and works excellent.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #27
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Ok here's the setup routine:

For your drivers side, lean you head practically against your drivers side window and adjust your mirror until you can almost not see the car's rear shoulder at all.

For the passenger side, position your head in the middle of the cabin, and then adjust that mirror the same as the other.

This should get you very close to eliminating blind spots. I did this, and I can literally see cars entering my side view mirrors as they are moving out of my rear view mirror visability and by the time they leave my side mirror visability I can see them through the window

Only downside of this, is you can no longer use your mirrors for backing up...but I'd rather have that problem than sideswipe someone going down the road.
I've used this setup for the past 20 years with great results, you will get use to it over time. No extra mirrors required.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #28
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
This thread always comes up.

Problem is that some people are different heights, and some people need / want more visibility. There is no universal solution.

Some peoples visibility issues will be diff than others in this car.

I will say that, no matter how many of those techniques you use.... seat adjustments.. the "perfect mirror setup" etc etc.. you will likely still encounter blindspots in this car.

I hated it at first.. I'm used to it now.. but the fact is that the blindspots are not gone.. I'm just tolerating them and compensating....

The car has those big pillars in the back, a fat back end, small turret like windows, and tiny mirrors... It's also low to the ground and you sit deep inside it... Blind spots in this vehicle to some extent are not avoidable.

That said, nobody bought this car for practicality...
People buy it because.. it's a Camaro ... it's modern muscle/sports. it's powerful..
it's better than a mustang.. and it's sexy as hell.... 1 year since release and people still act like they've never seen one before when I drive around... Good luck finding a Mustang owner who isn't a Grandpa... or a Honda owner who has experienced the same.
We buy the image, and the rush & the satisfaction.. None of these things are practical.

Nobody buys this for it's awesome camping abilities, great passenger capacity, wonderful visibility and it's very modest fuel efficiency in addition to it's great affordability, environmentally friendliness or it's ability to conquor the heavy winters...or anything like that.

Anyway, my advice..... Do use the mirror technique... (The shoulder checking suggestions seem pointless, because you should have learned to do that in order to get your licence in the first place....) And looking over your shoulder to a pillar doesn't solve the pillar. Lift your seat and push it forward... as much as you can tolerate in both directions... You'll gain a better vantage point.. (might look a little strange though).

I have found that reversing out of a parking spot on an angle into traffic with your rear going up hill, you cannot see anything out your window, through any of your mirrors, or by "shoulder checking" as on a steep hill set up in this way, all you see is pavement and the interior of your car.... there is no solution but being very slow and clearly signalling or having someone outside help you out. (I seldomly am in this situation but I have found a few places set up this way).

The other situation that seems incurable.... Merging on highways from certain angles.... there is an unavoidable blind spot.. and you just have to be extra careful..

I tend to use the mirrors for low to the ground things too... rotate them to make sure I'm not about to curb in tight fits.

Good luck ! It does get more tolerable for sure. But you definately appreciate how much you can see when you get into something else.

(PS... to those in the trucks and jeeps.. how big are your mirrors???) I drive trucks a lot... and although the interior cab in the back might not offer a lot of visibility..(Especially since I drive a big truck with a canopy on the back and rear/side tints). the mirrors show you the entire friggen world... and the windows are massive. plus you are wayyy off the ground.... I'd say the same about both the wrangler and the cherokee I've had the pleasure of.) I love the visibility of the big vehicles.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote