Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #1
ss camaro-monte

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss, 87 monte ss
Crate motor with cam swap or keep the factory motor and do heads/cam swap?

Ok guys, I am getting ready soon to upgrade my cam/heads etc but I have run into a dilemma and need some input and before you say do it yourself I just had major shoulder reconstruction so that is out.lol

Anyways, after getting pricing on a vvt cam swap with afm delete the price is looking to be about $4,500 with everything needed labor and all.

My question is would it be better to just buy a new LS3 long block from GMPP for $5,200, swap in a low lift cam swap before I put it in the car and then drop it in for around 6k in parts plus labor and then sell the factory L99 whole motor? If you guys have kept up with my other posts I have a GPI ported TB and intake so effectively I would have a whole other motor I could sell minus fuel rail and the normal stuff when putting in a motor.

Labor to drop in new motor is pretty much a wash between a cam swap while motor is in car. Is it easier to install a whole new motor than to do a cam swap in the 5th gen?

On top of it all I would have a new motor with zero miles instead of my L99 bottom end with 50k on it. Just looking for some input from you guys who have done a cam swap or maybe just put in a whole new motor but the cost difference for a whole new crate motor and then just adding a lower lift cam is interesting.

On a side note I would just get the LS3 long block with the hotcam but that cam really isn't the best for what I want. Figure it would be best to get the base LS3 and then go from there if I went the crate and cam swap route.
ss camaro-monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:28 PM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I wouldn't replace the engine at 50k. There's a lot of miles left on that thing if it's been treated right. The thing is you get into a lot of little things when you replace the engine, things you don't even think about like oh I need new engine mounts, torque converter bolts, flywheel bolts, and oh I forgot about coolant or I need to change the oil three times right off the bat. I would just do your heads and cam because I think you will be way off better in the long run.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:04 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I wouldn't replace the engine at 50k. There's a lot of miles left on that thing if it's been treated right. The thing is you get into a lot of little things when you replace the engine, things you don't even think about like oh I need new engine mounts, torque converter bolts, flywheel bolts, and oh I forgot about coolant or I need to change the oil three times right off the bat. I would just do your heads and cam because I think you will be way off better in the long run.
^^^ Everything he says is true and exactly what I ran into when I did my engine swap. I spent quite a bit more money than I expected on all of those little things. Lots of 'while you are in there' stuff. Flexplate hold down tool, balancer puller, ARP bolts for crank, cam, convertor, and flexplate. I also bought a new engine hoist, an engine stand for the L99 that came out, new torque wrenches and other assorted tools. Then of course I wanted to get fancy and painted the valve covers and engine and touched up other stuff in the engine bay. It can get very pricey, and I know I am forgetting tons of stuff here.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:03 AM   #4
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Keep the original motor and do your heads and cam.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote