Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
How times have changed

What youth liked then...
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519261

"See Camaro ad at bottom"

What they like now....
https://mobile-text-alerts.com/blog/...nials-texting/

Last edited by MackSteelPrivateEye; 09-14-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: tff
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I’m not seeing the ad. Maybe they updated the page.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
I’m not seeing the ad. Maybe they updated the page.

I think he means back in the day youth were into cars, today all they want to do is Text.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Ahhh...if kids back in the 60's and 70's had cellphones you know they would've been texting while driving too.

But I agree, back then, because the cars had literally no safety features, on some psychological level the driver of the car knows that he is toast if he crashes, which perhaps introduced some amount of caution to the experience and prevented them from doing stupid things like operating electronics while driving. Today, we are all so hyper-aware about safety, to the point where we take things like airbags, collision detection, for granted. So people think they can get away with taking risks. "What's the worst that will happen? My airbags go off and I get to buy a new car!"
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:28 PM   #5
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Ahhh...if kids back in the 60's and 70's had cellphones you know they would've been texting while driving too.

But I agree, back then, because the cars had literally no safety features, on some psychological level the driver of the car knows that he is toast if he crashes, which perhaps introduced some amount of caution to the experience and prevented them from doing stupid things like operating electronics while driving. Today, we are all so hyper-aware about safety, to the point where we take things like airbags, collision detection, for granted. So people think they can get away with taking risks. "What's the worst that will happen? My airbags go off and I get to buy a new car!"

Depending on the size of the people an airbag can break noses, smash your face and crack some ribs.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Such a damn good article and I get it! I'm a millennial and am a rare breed. I hate technology, and can read an atlas and get where I need to without gps or navi lol. I'm into cars, and can build modify, and do most things to my cars on my own (ok with some help from yt and google). I also relate wayyy more with the 40+ crowd than my own sorry generation. Btw my phone is the same one I bought new in 2013 yup ne upgrades and no plans of doing so til she dies.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I too hate voicemails! If i'm not there to answer, send txt or email.

There's something to be said about written record !

Now if you know I am in the car and send me a txt, FU

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Such a damn good article and I get it! I'm a millennial and am a rare breed. I hate technology, and can read an atlas and get where I need to without gps or navi lol. I'm into cars, and can build modify, and do most things to my cars on my own (ok with some help from yt and google). I also relate wayyy more with the 40+ crowd than my own sorry generation. Btw my phone is the same one I bought new in 2013 yup ne upgrades and no plans of doing so til she dies.

You sound like a really cool dude.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #9
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
this really isn't new. The pony car sales drop off started in the 90s, before all this tech. By the end of the 4thgen run the average age of a Camaro buyer had gone up 10 years. Same people buying them, no new buyers coming in.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #10
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post

I have to respectively disagree big time. We carried on like nuts in cars back in those days and never gave two thoughts to avoid doing anything out of the fear. We thought the exact opposite even when something bad happened. We just thought it won't happen to us. I lost friends. Others were screwed up for life. Growing older was the only thing that stopped it.
I really don't see what the OP is trying to say anyhow. I hate voice mails as do many of people my age and I'm much older than Millennials. We use texting every day in my business to communicate with techs, suppliers and customers more and more every day. It's just easier.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #11
brandonms2ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
this really isn't new. The pony car sales drop off started in the 90s, before all this tech. By the end of the 4thgen run the average age of a Camaro buyer had gone up 10 years. Same people buying them, no new buyers coming in.
Not always true. I'm lucky enough at 21 to afford one of these cars. I have a lot of friends that would love to own one but just cant afford to pay cash or the monthly notes.
brandonms2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
obviously it's not always true, we're talking numbers in the thousands so there's going to be outliers
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I really don't see what the OP is trying to say anyhow. I hate voice mails as do many of people my age and I'm much older than Millennials. We use texting every day in my business to communicate with techs, suppliers and customers more and more every day. It's just easier.
I think what he's trying to say is that phones, perhaps especially for their texting capability, have removed much of the need that we had for cars. Without the need, there's less desire.

If we wanted to have conversations with our friends, it pretty much had to be face to face. I doubt many of us ever had our own dedicated land-lines back in the day, and the house phone did need to be shared. Hell, I remember when party lines were common. For you younger guys, that meant your family shared the same line with at least one other family living in another house https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_line_(telephony) . Think about dealing with that for a minute.

Cars and driving was our answer, and our freedom. Keep in mind that half of any conversations we did have over the house phone was audible to anybody standing nearby . . . perhaps there's a similar privacy-related reason for texting vs using the "talk to other people app" these days.

Texting has its places, but it's a piss-poor replacement for back and forth conversations in real time. For one thing, you're not always going to be sure the other person read your text the way you intended it.

Norm
Old 09-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #14
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I think what he's trying to say is that phones, perhaps especially for their texting capability, have removed much of the need that we had for cars. Without the need, there's less desire.

If we wanted to have conversations with our friends, it pretty much had to be face to face. I doubt many of us ever had our own dedicated land-lines back in the day, and the house phone did need to be shared. Hell, I remember when party lines were common. For you younger guys, that meant your family shared the same line with at least one other family living in another house https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_line_(telephony) . Think about dealing with that for a minute.

Cars and driving was our answer, and our freedom. Keep in mind that half of any conversations we did have over the house phone was audible to anybody standing nearby . . . perhaps there's a similar privacy-related reason for texting vs using the "talk to other people app" these days.

Texting has its places, but it's a piss-poor replacement for back and forth conversations in real time. For one thing, you're not always going to be sure the other person read your text the way you intended it.

Norm
Completely agree. That'said why I pretty much use it for a tool for business or that quick yes no type stuff. I still prefer face to face or at least over the phone for real conversation
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote