Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Camaro_7888

Drives: .
Unhappy I can't with this car anymore....

I've owned my 2016 Camaro SS for 3 months so far. I think it is time to give it up and consider looking into more reliable vehicles. It is a shame because this is a beautiful vehicle, the best looking car I've ever owned.

Since I bought it 3 months ago, it's been at the dealer for service almost every 2-3 weeks.

First time it was at the service dept; was for the spoiler coming apart off the trunk lid. New spoiler replaced. Great.

Second time was for the infamous "shake/vibration".....trans fluid flushed 3x, trans filter replaced and 'trans computer reprogrammed' as stated on my service receipt.

Third time at the dealer...."shake/vibration" returned less than 300 miles, this time the torque converter replaced. Issue fixed, for now. Who knows how long these parts will last?

Fourth time at the dealer...vibration coming from the front end when braking at highway speeds. Brake rotors needed to be resurfaced. Also, MyLink was slow and freezing up, dealer "reset" the system, seems to be ok now.

Fifth time, 2nd key fob not working. Dealer had to order new key fob and reprogram.

Now last week, driving home from work I get the Low Tire Warning light, well NONE of my tires are low. So I'm guessing bad TPMS.

This morning driving to work, I get the infamous rear groaning noise when turning or backing up, probably the rear differential. AS WELL AS a knocking sound when driving under 25MPH coming from the front end.

WHAT ELSE CAN GO WRONG? Under 19,000 miles, this is insane.

Yes, I understand this is all covered under warranty, but I seem to be driving the dealer loaner cars more than my own car. What's the point in owning a car with this many problems? Maybe I just got a bad one, I don't know.

Seriously considering trading it in while I still can before it blows, and probably staying away from Chevrolet. I owned a 2014 Silverado before my Camaro, and that truck was great when it wasn't getting recalled for something every other month. What is going on with Quality Control Chevy?? Are you guys asleep at the wheel or what?
Camaro_7888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Make sense… no doubt a bad build/parts.....Probably what I would do…

not being sarcastic, but why did you see the Necessity to post?
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
You bought used, who knows what the original owner did? Was it flooded? Lots of cars that have been flooded and have electrical issues. Hard to tell its been flooded unless you start taking it apart. Then again you could just have lemon. Could be the original owner turned it in as a lemon and it got put back on the market to be sold.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
Camaro_7888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

I have no one to vent to in real life and needed to vent, sorry. LOL
Old 08-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
SociallyAwk

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
Quote:

Probably just wanted to vent. Natural human nature

Edit: Proved me right as I was replying lol
SociallyAwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
Camaro_7888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
You bought used, who knows what the original owner did? Was it flooded? Lots of cars that have been flooded and have electrical issues. Hard to tell its been flooded unless you start taking it apart. Then again you could just have lemon. Could be the original owner turned it in as a lemon and it got put back on the market to be sold.
According to the CarFax it was a 12 month lease before I took possession of it. CarFax was clean.

Last edited by Camaro_7888; 08-30-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
Herewego

Drives: 2018 2SS
Sorry for the issues you're having. I've bought and owned many new GM vehicles over the years and only had one with multiple issues like you're seeing. All the others have been basically problem free but they weren't performance cars. I always follow some basic guiding principles when purchasing...

1. I stay away from used unless I know the previous owners and know it has not been abused. A lot of people abuse their cars, especially if they know they will turn it in. Just watch how people abuse their cars when you're out on the road...sad.

2. I avoid first year generations of any vehicle. While the manufacturer can test the hell out of it, there's nothing like a few years of real world owners helping identify and resolve issues.

3. Patience - I like to chase the shiny objects just like the next guy, but I wait until the emotional rush subsides and then decide.

Like Marty said, you never know if the previous owner beat the crap out of it for 12 months and then walked away...like an expensive long term rental. On the other hand, your issues could resolve tomorrow and be trouble free for a long time.

The only time I ran from a vehicle purchase and took a loss was on 'well respected' import that ended up being a total POS. never again!
Herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Haha, I can top that. Oil pan recall, trans line recall, same brake problem, broken strut and mount, new exhaust do to rattling and most recent a mystery rattle. Over a month at the shop all together so far. Took delivery 12/31/2015 after a month in quality control. I have a truck and don't like any other cars out there more than mine, so nothing much I can do but keep taking it in.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
OMG, please run from 12 mo leases. The person that did this had no intention of keeping the car, knew it was gonna be short, and in many cases it's a business or something that needs a car for a short time. All indicators of a bad scene to come.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Sounds like the dealer took a trade on from someone who beat the crap out of it. Transmission and rear end problems. You have no recourse but keep getting it fixed or trade it in and lose some cash.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #11
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
Sorry for the issues you're having. I've bought and owned many new GM vehicles over the years and only had one with multiple issues like you're seeing. All the others have been basically problem free but they weren't performance cars. I always follow some basic guiding principles when purchasing...

1. I stay away from used unless I know the previous owners and know it has not been abused. A lot of people abuse their cars, especially if they know they will turn it in. Just watch how people abuse their cars when you're out on the road...sad.

2. I avoid first year generations of any vehicle. While the manufacturer can test the hell out of it, there's nothing like a few years of real world owners helping identify and resolve issues.

3. Patience - I like to chase the shiny objects just like the next guy, but I wait until the emotional rush subsides and then decide.

Like Marty said, you never know if the previous owner beat the crap out of it for 12 months and then walked away...like an expensive long term rental. On the other hand, your issues could resolve tomorrow and be trouble free for a long time.

The only time I ran from a vehicle purchase and took a loss was on 'well respected' import that ended up being a total POS. never again!
Why not just say which make import you had?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #12
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
face it, you and that car were not meant to be.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #13
Camaro_7888

Quote:
OMG, please run from 12 mo leases. The person that did this had no intention of keeping the car, knew it was gonna be short, and in many cases it's a business or something that needs a car for a short time. All indicators of a bad scene to come.
Life lesson learned for future vehicle purchases.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote