Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Drives: "Marolyn"
Firebird pro's, i have a question

hey guys, a friend of mine knows this guy that just got this firebird in the pic here that ive included. the story is that this guy, derek, is somewhat-sorta-not really friends with my friend, and long story short, this derek guy has done enough stupid things to alienate my friend and about 7 others to the point where they hate him. ive never met him, and ive heard nothing but negative things about him, so i already have bad disposition towards him.

he saw the pics i had of me and my car, and i guess he wants to race me and even talked down upon my Marolyn, so naturally i want to lay this motherf*cker to rest. thing is, im not the greatest when it comes to firebird stuff, and as such i cant even identify what model he drives. im guessing its a 6 judging by the fact theres no induction hood, but he claims is has "Corvette tire and rims" and a "Corvette engine", so i figured id rather be safe than sorry if i follow through with racing him, so ill let you experts here at C5 help me out
Attached Images

Fotowns Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
ACS Composite

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Few Points

1. If you do plan on racing him make sure its on a racetrack.
2. Induction hood does not mean V8.
3. It does have a Trans Am fron fascia, so it can be a Lt1 powered car
4. Rear spoiler is a "formula style" T/a were only offered with this style one year..... it may be either a formula or a Firebird V6 with a V8 T/A front bumper....
5. Picture will never tell you whats really under the hood.... Some guys have dropped V8 powertrains into anything these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotowns Finest View Post
hey guys, a friend of mine knows this guy that just got this firebird in the pic here that ive included. the story is that this guy, derek, is somewhat-sorta-not really friends with my friend, and long story short, this derek guy has done enough stupid things to alienate my friend and about 7 others to the point where they hate him. ive never met him, and ive heard nothing but negative things about him, so i already have bad disposition towards him.

he saw the pics i had of me and my car, and i guess he wants to race me and even talked down upon my Marolyn, so naturally i want to lay this motherf*cker to rest. thing is, im not the greatest when it comes to firebird stuff, and as such i cant even identify what model he drives. im guessing its a 6 judging by the fact theres no induction hood, but he claims is has "Corvette tire and rims" and a "Corvette engine", so i figured id rather be safe than sorry if i follow through with racing him, so ill let you experts here at C5 help me out
ACS Composite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
lil_red_v6
one wheelin

Drives: 2004 yamaha r6
Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_v6
see if u can get a motor shot.
lil_red_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
im guessing its a 6 judging by the fact theres no induction hood, but he claims is has "Corvette tire and rims" and a "Corvette engine", so i figured id rather be safe than sorry if i follow through with racing him, so ill let you experts here at C5 help me out
Firstly, those are C5 Rims so he is right in saying that he has 'corvette rims'. Those however aren't anything special since they're the base 'vette rims. The LT1 motor was not only the powerplant for the Camaro, Firebird, Roadmaster, Impala, Caprice.. but also the Corvette.

Secondly, the spoiler is V6/Formula but the fascia is Trans Am. This however does not indicate in any way as to which trim it is. Usually the Formulas and Trans Ams will have 'Formula' and 'Trans Am' respectively in block lettering along the lower side of the door.

Stock Formula Firebirds from 1993-2002 looked IDENTICAL to their V6 brethren. The only difference was the engine and the dual exhaust.

Trans Ams from 1993-2002 looked like mine for the most part, aside from the front fascia change in 1998. That car should have a 'Batwing' spoiler identical to mine if it were a proper/true Trans Am.

Thirdly, from 1993-2002 all 'ram air' induction hoods were WS6/Firehawk factory installations (Available on both the Formula and Trans Am trims). This also included a new airbox to facilitate the introduction of ram air. The hood on that car is correct for all non WS6 models (V6 and V8) and is not functional.

Easiest way to tell if it's a true Formula/Trans Am.. look for the RPO code for Formula/Trans Am. It can be found on the door sticker on the drivers side door.

His Door, if a Foamy (Pontiac community's pet name for Formula) should have the following RPO codes.

LT1 - Engine, 5.7L (V8) MFI
W66 - Merchandised Package - Formula

There is also the possibility that it had it's rear hatch replaced at one point with a non Trans Am one, which means it should also have one (or more) of the following RPO codes in place of W66.

Y82 Merchandised Package - Trans Am, Base Coupe
Y83 Trans Am model
Y84 Merchandised Package - Trans Am
Y87 Merchandised Package - Performance Enhancement

EDIT: I can tell from the image on second glance that it may just be a V6 dressed up as a half assed Trans Am clone. The door lettering and fascia are there, but the spoiler is wrong.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
EDIT: I can tell from the image on second glance that it may just be a V6 dressed up as a half assed Trans Am clone. The door lettering and fascia are there, but the spoiler is wrong.
Exactly why i came here. im also starting to think the previous owner told him it had all the corvette goodies to make him think he had something special. i snagged this pic (the only pic unfortunately) from his facebook and the only thing he brags about is the corvette related stuff, and a few ppl comment along the lines of "ZOMG FASTEST CAR EVAR" as a result. i should just ask what his speedometer goes to lol
Old 11-20-2010, 03:39 AM   #6
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
He sounds like a Dbag, don't give him the satisfaction either way. Looks like a 6 to me, but if he's claiming Corvette engine, it could be an early LT1....

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
fbodyrs96

Drives: 1996 Camaro RS convertible
it looks like a TA to me, the high rise spoiler did not become standard until 96, 94-95 was an option, and most 93 got it but I have seen a few 93's they didn't. hell my 95 TA had every option but the high rise.
fbodyrs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
lil_red_v6
one wheelin

Drives: 2004 yamaha r6
Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_v6
whats his facebook page?
lil_red_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Exactly why i came here. im also starting to think the previous owner told him it had all the corvette goodies to make him think he had something special. i snagged this pic (the only pic unfortunately) from his facebook and the only thing he brags about is the corvette related stuff, and a few ppl comment along the lines of "ZOMG FASTEST CAR EVAR" as a result. i should just ask what his speedometer goes to lol
Yeah, the spoiler was bugging me. It didn't look like the T/A spoiler, but I thought the angle of the car might just be obstructing the view.
Of course, it's not hard to trick people into thinking you have a V8. My '98's got the badges and black b-pillar, and the only person who's questioned it was my neighbor who noticed the absence of the dual exhaust.
If you need to be sure, take a look at the car in person. The exhaust might cue you in if he doesn't let you see under the hood.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Camaro View Post
Yeah, the spoiler was bugging me. It didn't look like the T/A spoiler, but I thought the angle of the car might just be obstructing the view.
Of course, it's not hard to trick people into thinking you have a V8. My '98's got the badges and black b-pillar, and the only person who's questioned it was my neighbor who noticed the absence of the dual exhaust.
If you need to be sure, take a look at the car in person. The exhaust might cue you in if he doesn't let you see under the hood.
im sure he'll tell if i ask, but if not ill check the exhaust...only a matter of time really before i find out
Old 11-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
im sure he'll tell if i ask, but if not ill check the exhaust...only a matter of time really before i find out
I give you the two dead giveaways..

Y82 and LS1

155mph speedo.. norly?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Looking Good in Red

Drives: Pewter 2000 T/A
Send a message via AIM to Looking Good in Red
Quote:
Firstly, those are C5 Rims so he is right in saying that he has 'corvette rims'. Those however aren't anything special since they're the base 'vette rims. The LT1 motor was not only the powerplant for the Camaro, Firebird, Roadmaster, Impala, Caprice.. but also the Corvette.

Secondly, the spoiler is V6/Formula but the fascia is Trans Am. This however does not indicate in any way as to which trim it is. Usually the Formulas and Trans Ams will have 'Formula' and 'Trans Am' respectively in block lettering along the lower side of the door.

Stock Formula Firebirds from 1993-2002 looked IDENTICAL to their V6 brethren. The only difference was the engine and the dual exhaust.

Trans Ams from 1993-2002 looked like mine for the most part, aside from the front fascia change in 1998. That car should have a 'Batwing' spoiler identical to mine if it were a proper/true Trans Am.

Thirdly, from 1993-2002 all 'ram air' induction hoods were WS6/Firehawk factory installations (Available on both the Formula and Trans Am trims). This also included a new airbox to facilitate the introduction of ram air. The hood on that car is correct for all non WS6 models (V6 and V8) and is not functional.

Easiest way to tell if it's a true Formula/Trans Am.. look for the RPO code for Formula/Trans Am. It can be found on the door sticker on the drivers side door.

His Door, if a Foamy (Pontiac community's pet name for Formula) should have the following RPO codes.

LT1 - Engine, 5.7L (V8) MFI
W66 - Merchandised Package - Formula

There is also the possibility that it had it's rear hatch replaced at one point with a non Trans Am one, which means it should also have one (or more) of the following RPO codes in place of W66.

Y82 Merchandised Package - Trans Am, Base Coupe
Y83 Trans Am model
Y84 Merchandised Package - Trans Am
Y87 Merchandised Package - Performance Enhancement

The lettering, from what I can make out starts with an "F". There were the years with the 3.4l that had "Firebird" on the door. I can't tell if it says "Firebird" or "Formula" but if somebody with some mild Photoshop skills can clear that up, it might help answer the question.

Edit: Scratch that. I was just imagining an "F". But still, the lettering means nothing because those earlier years with the 3.4l did have the "Firebird" lettering.
Looking Good in Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking Good in Red View Post
Scratch that. I was just imagining an "F". But still, the lettering means nothing because those earlier years with the 3.4l did have the "Firebird" lettering.
Yep, and if it were a clone they'd have taken the time to replace the door letters with TRANS AM letters.

Strange thing too was the Trans Am vents on 98-02 cars were also on the V6 cars. Always bugged me. GM.. seriously? You couldn't tool a mold for a separate V6/Formula fender?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
Raven02TA

Drives: 2002 Pontiac Transam. 2004 Tahoe,
Send a message via AIM to Raven02TA
Quote:
the spoiler is not wrong on the car if its a 93 or a 94.

car in the pic looks like a 93/94 transam. so yes it has the "corvette" LT1 . the Transam fascia,sideskirts, and badging in the correct place. and more than likely has the rear bumper and "slotted" style tails that the LT1 birds came with.

in 93 or 94 if the car had the high rise spoiler it would be called a "Transam GT". they dropped the "GT" in 95 as the high rise spoiler became standard.

the "induction hood" would have come only on the ws6 or the firehawk.

more than likely the car is truely an LT1 T/A. rated at about 275 rwhp. with a 6 speed. and capable of a sub 14 sec pass in stock form (some have cracked the 13's)

unless you tree the crap out of him on a launch. he has your number and even if you tree him. he will run you down.

Raven02TA is offline   Reply With Quote