Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do your brakes squeal?
Yes 45 65.22%
No 24 34.78%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #43
310Driver
John

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
My first car squealed a lot of the time especially hot after a long drive.

The new car does not squeal at all and has Brembos with the wheels on them instead of the wheel weights.
Mlee....I bet your new one is going to squeal...but it will be the supercharger squealing! You've got to be getting wound up!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #44
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Brake noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaHolland View Post
I Drive a V6 and my brakes do also, they actually had to replace the caliper and both rear pads and resurface the rooter under warranty because one side was sticking ... they tried to tell me the problem was caused from me drifting using the parking break... I informed him i drive a Camaro not a Honda and I do not drift.
Makes you confident in who is working on your car doesn't it. Now if they just learn what the difference is between FWD and RWD they could maybe fix the problems. OK on a more serious note. I've been a tech for over 30 years, brake noise is one of the biggest pains for everyone, client and repair shop. Burnishing of the brakes is the most important item to do to prevent brake fade and noise.
This link may help out: http://www.fastz.com/z06/BrakesBurnish.html
Hope this out. When I picked up my 2012 2LT I went to my "spot" and burnished the brakes took it home and let it sit overnight. So far so good 5 months on them but it sees very little use also.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #45
SwedeandBlondie

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS L99 on order
Had Kim's car in recently due to a blown water pump. While there, I asked them to look at the brakes. Said it was "normal" for a car considering the traffic up here. She asked them if all cars should squeal since they're all in traffic. The dealer turned the rotors and it went away for about 3 days. It's back and they'll get the car back soon.
2009 HD Street Glide
2005 HD Fatboy
SwedeandBlondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #46
LOOT310

Drives: 2011 2SS
Yeah, bought the car with about 11k miles on it and it's been squealing during light braking the whole time. I thought I needed new pads, but I guess it's "normal" (wtf).
LOOT310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #47
714SS/RS

Drives: 2011 Blk SS/RS LS3 6M
I have 4,960 miles on my 2011 SS/RS LS3 and the squealing just began at around 4,500. From reading the forum, this was no surprise to me. Hopeful that it dissipates with time/miles like others are reporting. BTW, I have Brembo's on my HD FLHX and they squeal, as well. Cheers.
714SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #48
Griffintile

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS L99 convertible
My brakes have been squealing since day one I now have, around 1100, miles on car. I will be taking car in on some rub issues with convertable top, so I will get this taken care of also. I feel like I will get some kind of canned response like I did on the first trip with top.
I have had 6 new vehicles in last 12 years four of them being Chevrolets, the last two have gave me multiple problems within the first month of ownership, I am starting to lose faith in my favorite brand.
Griffintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #49
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
5045 miles and they squeal
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #50
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Let us know how things go Griffintile. I hope this is the only trip you have to make.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #51
EDWEIRD

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6
Send a message via Skype™ to EDWEIRD
I just bought mine (3 weeks ago), with 27k on it. It squeals nearly always at slow speeds. I'm not sure if its the brake wear, or the car yet. I was going to order new pads and rotors to change out, and keep my fingers crossed that they solve the issue.

There's no rust on my rotors, which can cause the squealing, and the car hardly gets wet, as its California, and garaged at night.

Its so annoying, I'm putting in a 1500W subwoofer to take my mind off of it.

E
EDWEIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #52
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffintile View Post
My brakes have been squealing since day one I now have, around 1100, miles on car. I will be taking car in on some rub issues with convertable top, so I will get this taken care of also. I feel like I will get some kind of canned response like I did on the first trip with top.
I have had 6 new vehicles in last 12 years four of them being Chevrolets, the last two have gave me multiple problems within the first month of ownership, I am starting to lose faith in my favorite brand.
My 2011 ss brakes squealed, especially on light braking. My 2012 (2300 miles) has no squeal .... yet keeping my fingers crossed.

Griffintile - please exercise caution and be prepared with the tsb's and do not let the dealer outsource ANY repairs to your top. There have been major problems with the tops which have been compounded by outsourced trim shops.

There are many threads here regarding this issue. The top issue and poor dealership service are the reasons GM bought my 2011 ss vert back.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #53
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
My stock brakes were dead quiet.

My upgraded ones squeak a tad at VERY light pressure. I deal. If anyone complains, I slam the brakes and put their head through the windshield.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #54
lapgfx64
CHEAPSHOT

Drives: SLP Camaro 2SS ZL 427
Send a message via AIM to lapgfx64
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Long story short, here it goes. I'm currently dealing with Chevrolet and their business/customer service department about my squealing brakes. As of now my car has been in the shop 27 days since April 1st, the brake pads have been replaced 3 times, and Chevrolet still insists that all of their cars' brakes squeal. Yes I am aware that Brembos squeal, but do Brembos squeal all the time. I say all the time in its literal sense, as in whenever I depress the pedal some squealing is heard, loudness varies of course. I am just looking for people to confirm or deny that their brakes squeal and if possible to what degree they squeal.

To the Chevrolet guys on the forum:

Sorry to call you out, but my representative is the reason why I am requesting this poll. During our last phone conversation she informed me "all camaros' brakes squeal. It is something that I should get used to, and if I have a problem with it I should speak with my dealer and have them find a solution to my problem." I'm sorry, but that is not customer service. That is a rude customer service rep hiding behind a multi-billion dollar company while she picks on a 20 year old.
I feel your pain and embarrassment. I have the same issue that started at 6k and it's driving me crazy. The local dealer near me won't even touch the car because not enough people have had the problem on this so called bulletin. If you hear anything please let me know. I hate pulling up to a light in an expensive SLP Camaro with a squeal that makes you sink in your seat. I have had 3 different daily SS drives in the past and never had I had an issue like this unless the pads have had a lot of milage on them. If there is anything I can do to help fight this issue please let me know!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #55
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Im sure if you roll through their lot with the brakes at full squeal you might get some attention. Make sure its a sunny day and people are out on the lot.

Ive gotten the same runaround by my dealership since I got the car. They just wont spend the time to fix it. I'm sure its caliper related.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #56
lapgfx64
CHEAPSHOT

Drives: SLP Camaro 2SS ZL 427
Send a message via AIM to lapgfx64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
Im sure if you roll through their lot with the brakes at full squeal you might get some attention. Make sure its a sunny day and people are out on the lot.

Ive gotten the same runaround by my dealership since I got the car. They just wont spend the time to fix it. I'm sure its caliper related.
I got video and they just don't care. It's in the "Bulletin" acording to the service manager. Showed it to two other employees and all I got was "that's a shame".