Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
jeffswhitess

Drives: 2010 ss2 white w/gold stripes
Has any one put 1LE OR ZL1 Sway bars on a 2010 SS

Just like the question asks , has anybody put 1LE or Zl1 sway bars on a 2010 SS. Did you have to do anything other swop them out or did you have to change anything to make them fit? Thanks for your help!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
camaro-21

Drives: 2011 cyber grey metallic camaro v6
Go onto pfadt website and look at there suspension update for 2012 because you will need the new lower control arms to mount the newer sway bars
2011 camaro v6- sts turbo w/ meth injection, barton short throw, spec stage 3+ clutch, forgestar f-14 rims, Nitto invo tires, pfadt sway bars drop springs and end links, rx catch can, goodridge stainless steel brake lines, aac halos afterburner taillights and sidemarkers, sebon carbon rear diffuser.
camaro-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
jeffswhitess

Thanks I will check this out!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
1985airborne
One Slow Automatic

Drives: 2017 GS 2010 CAMARO SS
Yep! I just finished the front zl1 way sway bar in the front...the end links are the same, but the rear you would need 2012 lower control arms and endlink type B they are solid end links it looks like a plastic covered screw...
Old 04-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffswhitess View Post
Just like the question asks , has anybody put 1LE or Zl1 sway bars on a 2010 SS. Did you have to do anything other swop them out or did you have to change anything to make them fit? Thanks for your help!
Send 67motorcat a PM... he just put ZL sways on his 2011 SS. He's in our club and said it wasn't a bad install at all.

Sent from my Apple sued Galaxy Note 2
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Jerry7297

Drives: 2018 2SS/ 1LE
I put the PFADT ZL specs on and yep new rear lower control arms and end links are needed. Its like a $300 addition to the package. Easy install and well worth it.
Jerry7297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
I just did it a month ago. Do you have any additional mods? If so check this out or if you just want to see some pictures.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285249

Besides the DSS axle challenge it was really simple. I will suggest putting in the front sway from the passenger side, it just seemed easier that way.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
jeffswhitess

Thanks tbone. I don't have any other mods!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Your welcome.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Our kit is as simple as it gets for making the swap. If you have any questions about the components or install, give us a ring and I can fill you in. I've got some good alignment guides I can shoot to you as well. Should have you burning through the turns in no time. Good luck!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
I have:

Pedders coils
Pedders end links
FE4 front and rear struts
Pedders front ZL-1 28mm sway bar
Pedders rear ZL-1 32mm sway bar
ZL-1 rear toe arms
Pedders spec'd alignment

Handles like a dream
Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Pedders was the first to market with a Z style rear bar over a year ago. Our 27mm front and 32mm rear bars have become the standard by which all other bars are measured. Even TEAM Camaro has been influenced. The 1LE delivers with a 27mm solid front bar almost as good as the Pedders 27mm solid adjustable front bar. Next from TEAM Camaro comes the Z/28 with Pedders 305/30/19 style rubber at all four corners

While you have been building your 5th Gen as the Ultimate Camaro TEAM Camaro released the ZL1 and coming soon is the Z/28. No worries. With Pedders Z style bars you are well ahead of the 1LE 27/28mm and ZL1 25/28mm bars. You can easily upgrade your FE3 or FE4 to Pedders Z bar Conversion Kits complete with ZL1 arms, adjustable front endlinks and Z style rear droplinks. For ZL1 and 1LE owners it is a straight bar upgrade.

The Camaro SS FE4 suspension moves the rear sway bar endlink / drop link mounting close to the knuckle to increase efficiency. The stock bars are now solid 23mm front and 24mm rear. The ZL1 has 25mm solid front bars and 28mm solid rear bars. Thw `LE is 27mm front and 28mm rear. TEAM Camaro moved from hollow to solid bars for strength and durability just like the Pedders bars have been for the 5th Gen since 2009

Pedders exists to take Modern Muscle to the next level and we have a particular affinity for the 5th Gen Camaro. Our FE4 / FE5 sway bars are solid. The front is 27mm and adjustable. The rears are 32mm. Our bar sets are sold with high efficiency OEM quiet front end-links and fixed position drop- links. How do they perform, do you really need to ask? The owner of this Camaro is a law enforcement professional with countless hours of driver training. His professional opinion -- 'Holy shit, man! The front HOOKED not even CLOSE to breaking traction and the back end stayed right with it. I mean....when the car turns, it TURNS.'

Our FE4 / 5 rear sway bars can be retro fit to any 5th Gen Camaro. The new Camaro rear lower control arms have the 'old' style close to the differential endlink mounting tabs and the 'new' close to the knuckle mounting hole. This is a smart choice by Chevrolet as one common part number can be used on all versions of the 5th Gen Camaro. The new OE lower rear control arms are inexpensive.

Why did Chevrolet make the change in rear sway bar geometry and size? To make the 5th Gen handle better. From day one of the 5th Gen the bias of the car has been heavy on understeer. This is a function of weight distribution, wheel base, track, wheel and tire size and of course sway bar strength. The FE4 addresses both with improved rear sway bar geometry and sway bar strength. The old bars were hollow. The new bars are solid, and are stronger. The old bars were almost the same diameter (strength) front and rear. The new FE4 rear bar is 1mm larger than the front. It doesn't sound like much, but coupled with the increase in efficiency of the new outboard mounting position it is a big difference. The FE4 Camaro is far more balanced that the FE3 SS. It is more neutral and handles better in the corners.

The new FE5 ZL1 takes this all on steroids. The front bar goes up in size to 25mm and the rear bar a huge jump to 28mm. Talk about balance from the factory

At Pedders, even great isn't good enough. We have been using a dumbed down rear alignment with a 32mm inboard old style bar to reduce understeer and improve cornering. We set the rear camber to half the front camber or even less. The on track results were excellent. We feel we had a ZL1 two years ago with our Pedders USA Camaro. Now, there is a ZL1 so we have been hard at work with our partners at Lingenfelter on the L/28. Yhe Lingenfelter / Pedders L/28 is running our Z style bars and running faster than any other late model Muscle Car on the OPTIMA circuit. We are able to increase rear camber without increasing understeer

Here is the new rear bar complete with Pedders drop-link. The rear bar is NOT adjustable because the FE4 / FE5 / FE6 drop link design is most efficient when straight up at rest. In this image the droplink bolt is inverted so we could change out droplinks without removing the wheel.

The new 32mm bar takes up space, but there are ZERO clearance issues.

V6 Brake Clearance

V6 Brake and Supercar Clearance

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The rear bar is NOT adjustable because the FE4 / FE5 / FE6 drop link design is most efficient when straight up at rest.
Having a rear adjustable bar sounds great in theory, but reality is when using aftermarket or 1LE axles on an SS they don't work. I made adjustments, added spacers, and in the stiffest hole the end of the bar comes way to close to the CV for my comfort. Looks like yours Pete would not have this issue with the bigger outboard CV.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Having a rear adjustable bar sounds great in theory, but reality is when using aftermarket or 1LE axles on an SS they don't work. I made adjustments, added spacers, and in the stiffest hole the end of the bar comes way to close to the CV for my comfort. Looks like yours Pete would not have this issue with the bigger outboard CV.
You are spot on as usual sir!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote