Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 04-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #29
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Not too shabby!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:03 AM   #30
jeff4946

Drives: 2010 RS 2LT
These threads are very interesting. I like seeing all the ingenuity that goes into FI. One question though. I've read a few things, and isn't it true that rwhp is typically around 18% less than flywheel horsepower, and if this is true, then these kits are not pushing out more than about 450hp? I keep seeing where the manufacturers of these kits claim 600+, and its just not a reality. I would love to move this direction, but the claims are just not coming thru.
K&N Cai, BSR Ported intake, MBRP catback, BBK long tubes, VMax throttle body, 3.73 SS gears, Zex nitrous 125hp shot, window switch, purge,remote bottle opener, bottle heater, Trifecta tune, Hurst short throw, RX catch can, Intake isolator, Ported Intake manifold
jeff4946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #31
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4946 View Post
These threads are very interesting. I like seeing all the ingenuity that goes into FI. One question though. I've read a few things, and isn't it true that rwhp is typically around 18% less than flywheel horsepower, and if this is true, then these kits are not pushing out more than about 450hp? I keep seeing where the manufacturers of these kits claim 600+, and its just not a reality. I would love to move this direction, but the claims are just not coming thru.
i'm not sure anyone has ever claimed 600+????

but you are mostly right they are pushing about 450rwhp. no one has really pushed the boost up super high yet so there is still room once the other issues are figured out.

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #32
Z Madness

Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge.128 View Post
i'm not sure anyone has ever claimed 600+????

but you are mostly right they are pushing about 450rwhp. no one has really pushed the boost up super high yet so there is still room once the other issues are figured out.
I think he's looking at the V-8 Kits.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #33
jeff4946

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...O-V6SINGLE.htm

This one claims 620hp. And I'm not saying rwhp, because with the boost and numbers that are being logged, I haven't seen anyone hit the 400rwhp mark at all yet. Not trying to get anyone's goat, just not seeing 6k dollars worth of gain in these yet.
K&N Cai, BSR Ported intake, MBRP catback, BBK long tubes, VMax throttle body, 3.73 SS gears, Zex nitrous 125hp shot, window switch, purge,remote bottle opener, bottle heater, Trifecta tune, Hurst short throw, RX catch can, Intake isolator, Ported Intake manifold

Last edited by jeff4946; 05-13-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:04 AM   #34
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:

This one claims 620hp. And I'm not saying rwhp, because with the boost and numbers that are being logged, I haven't seen anyone hit the 400rwhp mark at all yet. Not trying to get anyone's goat, just not seeing 6k dollars worth of gain in these yet.
Yeah, that's the rating for the turbo. For example, each of mine are rated for 624 HP. So, with twins you would think I could easily get close to 900 HP (some loss due to charge restriction), but it will not happen on these cars because we will not produce that much exhaust.

Also, think of the "value" of the gains this way. Go to Chevy's web site and compare the prices of comparably equipped LS/LTs and SSs (don't take the cheapest SS and most expensive LT). The median of those is about $8K. If you get have an automatic car the difference in BHP is 88 HP. I know on my setup I'm getting about 430 BHP on 4.5 psi (118 BHP). The kit based on mine is under $8K. You do lose the powertrain warranty, but you risk that with any mod. The advantage of FI is that further power increases are relatively cheap (up to a limit of course).

Not busting your chops, but saying it is a better mod for the buck than say buying an SS if your intent is to make the most of your car powerwise. I didn't buy the V6 to see if I could make more power than a stock SS, I bought it because I thought the engine was cool and wanted to see what could be done with it (oh and it is an awsome looking car). I've been pleased that they take to FI so well. It will take a while to get all the issues worked out and have these things make real power, but isn't that true everytime someone releases a radically new engine design (I know DI and VVT have been around, but not in cars that people typically think of taking to the track).
Old 05-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #35
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
That's cool that you guys are getting those kind of gains, but unless you are saving a ton of money, why bother? If your intention from the start was to get better HP numbers, wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to start with the V8? After spending the cash and cranking up the HP on the V6, your where the V8 starts, or at least in the neighborhood.

If you bought the V6 for other reasons, then decided to mod, more power to you.

This is NOT a dig on the V6, or a V6 vs V8 thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Yeah, that's the rating for the turbo. For example, each of mine are rated for 624 HP. So, with twins you would think I could easily get close to 900 HP (some loss due to charge restriction), but it will not happen on these cars because we will not produce that much exhaust.

Also, think of the "value" of the gains this way. Go to Chevy's web site and compare the prices of comparably equipped LS/LTs and SSs (don't take the cheapest SS and most expensive LT). The median of those is about $8K. If you get have an automatic car the difference in BHP is 88 HP. I know on my setup I'm getting about 430 BHP on 4.5 psi (118 BHP). The kit based on mine is under $8K. You do lose the powertrain warranty, but you risk that with any mod. The advantage of FI is that further power increases are relatively cheap (up to a limit of course).

Not busting your chops, but saying it is a better mod for the buck than say buying an SS if your intent is to make the most of your car powerwise. I didn't buy the V6 to see if I could make more power than a stock SS, I bought it because I thought the engine was cool and wanted to see what could be done with it (oh and it is an awsome looking car). I've been pleased that they take to FI so well. It will take a while to get all the issues worked out and have these things make real power, but isn't that true everytime someone releases a radically new engine design (I know DI and VVT have been around, but not in cars that people typically think of taking to the track).
Old 05-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #36
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
That's cool that you guys are getting those kind of gains, but unless you are saving a ton of money, why bother? If your intention from the start was to get better HP numbers, wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to start with the V8? After spending the cash and cranking up the HP on the V6, your where the V8 starts, or at least in the neighborhood.

If you bought the V6 for other reasons, then decided to mod, more power to you.

This is NOT a dig on the V6, or a V6 vs V8 thing.
I guess that's what I'm saying. For about the same price you get a car that makes more power than the SS. I'm only running 4.5 psi. Bump that up and you have more power at no extra cost. You would have to put dollars into a tune and bolt ons for the SS. Yes, at some point you can't make the power of a larger displacement engine at the same price, but then it just becomes a V6 thing. Besides, I fully expect to see V8 engines adopt these technologies and I'll be very familiar with how to mod them when it happens.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #37
jeff4946

Quote:

No, I'm with you. I just want to see these hit their full potential. Love my v6. Happy with my decision, just wanna see the turbo work like the claims that are made. I see IPSjeff making some progress, but the tuning is slowing him down, just like the rest. Like he is right on schedule.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #38
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
No, I'm with you. I just want to see these hit their full potential. Love my v6. Happy with my decision, just wanna see the turbo work like the claims that are made. I see IPSjeff making some progress, but the tuning is slowing him down, just like the rest. Like he is Brighton schedule.
No doubt they have a lot of potential. Unfortunately we aren't going to have a lot of the big companies jump in and work the issues out for us. We're all going to have to contribute and be patient with the few shops that are doing something.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #39
jeff4946

Quote:
No doubt they have a lot of potential. Unfortunately we aren't going to have a lot of the big companies jump in and work the issues out for us. We're all going to have to contribute and be patient with the few shops that are doing something.
Yessir... you are correct.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #40
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Quote:

Mine is over 404RWHP right now and getting more so Look at IPS Motorsports....
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #41
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Well I just got back from a business trip and did some data logging. Sent the info to Vince along with the dyno graphs (A/F, Boost and HP). I will post new graphs once Vince tells me there is no more he can do to modify the tune. The car hauls the mail now (with current tune) and can't wait for the new tune results.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #42
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Sweet nice to see this turbo thing really taking off. It is looking like Vince just keeps getting better tuning these FI cars. I see my future. LOL